Sign in to follow this  
SiMON2g

What is your opinion on Aaron Gordon?

Question, when officials are tabulating a box score do they count it a shot attempt when a player is fouled on his shot, commits an offensive foul and or gets his shot blocked ???

If he gets fouled and makes the shot it counts as an attempt (obviously), but if he misses it I believe it is not counted as an attempt.

I believe that if your shot is blocked, it still counts as an attempt.

It's interesting how people say we don't have any potential superstars and use Curry as a comparison. Curry was nowhere near the player he is today when he first got into the league. He was already awesome at one almost of his game, sure but the rest of his game has improved dramatically from where he was out of college. If anything he should be an example that guys could end up on that level. Jimmy Butler is another one

This this this

People forget Curry was almost traded to the Bucks, but they wanted Monta instead. It took him 5 yrs to hit that star level. I haven't seen anything, so far, to make not believe that Vic, AG, and Mario can potentially reach that level.

Question, when officials are tabulating a box score do they count it a shot attempt when a player is fouled on his shot, commits an offensive foul and or gets his shot blocked ???

Fouled on shot = no calculated shot attempt

Commits offensive foul = TO, no shot attempt

Blocked shot = calculated as missed shot

Unless of course shot goes in, then = shot attempt

Thanks to all who responded.

I actually watched the game again and specifically counted Gordon's shot attempts...I counted 23 attempts.

5 more than what the box score indicated.

3 times he was fouled on the shot...1 time he committed an offensive foul and the last was the shot he got blocked in the overtime period.

I actually watched the game again and specifically counted Gordon's shot attempts...I counted 23 attempts.

3 times he was fouled on the shot...1 time he committed an offensive foul and the last was the shot he got blocked in the overtime period.

So 4 of those 5 were not shot attempts...

Seems about right.

At least that offensive foul was a good one. He was trying to LeBron his man (physically abusing him on the way to the basket) rather than playing out of control and jumping into him or something as he tended to do last year. Not sure that gets called in a real game.

This this this

People forget Curry was almost traded to the Bucks, but they wanted Monta instead. It took him 5 yrs to hit that star level. I haven't seen anything, so far, to make not believe that Vic, AG, and Mario can potentially reach that level.

I know its still early but Henny will be seeing a need to make a new contract for Dipo soon. If he has a big improvement this year we could see him command another high salary a la Tobias. He better get a heck of a lot better if he wants big bucks.

This this this

It did not take him 5 years to reach the "star" level and the only reason he was almost traded was because it appeared at the time his ankles may be chronically bad, had nothing to do with him as a player.

He averaged over 17 a game as a rookie, improved that to almost 19 a game as a sophomore, and than it was his 3rd year where he was hurt non stop. But by his 4th year he was scoring 24ppg and hasn't looked back.

I agree that we haven't seen enough to know about our 3 guys though. Victor is close to cracking through if he just makes a few improvements with his decision making and shooting consistency. Mario I think really could be, but like you said we are no where close to knowing. AG I is no where close either, and I think saying he could be a superstar is a crazy stretch. I just want him to be a good player. But 1 summer league game can get people from seeing AG as a possible bust to a possible Superstar.

I know its still early but Henny will be seeing a need to make a new contract for Dipo soon. If he has a big improvement this year we could see him command another high salary a la Tobias. He better get a heck of a lot better if he wants big bucks.

He's going to improve this year and will demand more money than Harris. I would hope if it came down to it we would part ways with Harris in a heartbeat to keep Oladipo.

The thing about AG is he is only 19. That's insanely young. Curry logged 2 years in college. So on that career track, Gordon's upcoming season would be Curry's rookie year, except Gordon missed half the season with an injury last year.

I look at players by how fast they improve. Watching Elfrid improve so quickly last year makes me think he could be a star PG, but lets see what happens this year.

Gordon has clearly elevated his game in a short amount of time.

Victor has improved. Shot a little better, can actually finish at the rim more often now. This is a big year for him to take that leap. His defense regressed last year though. so that was not good.

I also think Mario could be our best player over time. The thing to watch is the arc of improvement over the season. Does he get more comfortable out there over the season?

When it comes to raw talent and ability. Aaron Gordon IMO is our best player with Mario behind him. Mario has that perfect shot release and smooth offensive game already, so he is a step ahead in development. But Gordon is showing us that he is catching up and developing some really nice NBA moves.

• Upvote 1

I get what you're saying and I get why people would say Aaron Gordon is potentially our best player, I just think both Mario and Victor will be the better NBA players. I think Gordon can and will be good, but I don't see him reaching where Dipo and Mario are going to go IMO.

I do think it says a lot about our roster if we all for the most part have different players we think will be best. That means Rob has assembled a well rounded roster. If everyone just said "AG" is our best player no one else is or will be close, that would probably mean the roster wasn't very good.

I would rank our young guys (Vuch and Harris excluded)

Dipo

Mario

Payton/AG

And that's not a jab at AG, again, I just think those other guys will be really good. Dipo is good coaching and a more concsistent shot from really becoming a household name. Mario, to me, is going to really light up the NBA. Payton and AG are close to me. I could go either way really. AG can bring more versatility, but if Payton can improve his shot he could be close to unstoppable. They're even to me.