Sign in to follow this  
SiMON2g

What is your opinion on Aaron Gordon?

To be honest, Aaron Gordon seems about where one could expect of a guy who had no coaching and an injury last year. He showed some improvements in his confidence and moves in that summer league game yesterday. I think that game is about what we're going to see out of him for the season. Not the numbers, not 20+ points a night; but I think he's going to be a guy who comes out and when he's hot he's unstoppable because he's so versatile when that jumper is falling, and his defense will always be stellar. I expect him to be a bench guy most of the year, but it wouldn't shock me if he broke into the starting lineup at any point (even early; it actually has as much to do with Hezonja as with him).

But I still see a lot in Gordon. People want to compare him to Draymond Green in terms of impact; well Dray's first year was abysmal. His per 36 numbers compared better with Gordon's per game numbers despite AG only getting 15 a night. Green was a better rebounder as a rookie, but basically he was worse at everything else but FT. And he was 22 years old. Honestly, I think Aaron's going to be a better player than Draymond Green. People want to say he'll never be as good a player as Blake Griffin. But remember, Blake was 21 years old the first time he stepped on an NBA floor. I don't think he's likely to be as dominant a scorer as Blake (though who really knows, if that jumper becomes consistent), but Aaron Gordon is already a very good defender and projects to be one of the best in the league very soon. Taking both sides of the ball into consideration, and the fact that Aaron (at least last year he did) seems to be capable of hitting FT's, I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think they might be similar in terms of overall impact by the time Aaron reaches 22.

So what do I think of Aaron Gordon? I think he's still got as much upside as a two way player as anyone I've seen in a while.

AG actually has the most SUPERSTAR potential on our squad if you ask me.

Keyword --> POTENTIAL

Let's all hope for our sake he becomes just that. He will be a absolute monster if he does.

I for 1 am backing him all the way!

Its just confidence and repetition. You can expect a guy to stroke it over and over with confidence throughout an entire game just yet. He just rebuilt his shot this summer.

He shot 50% for the game.

He will be streaky this year but he has some go to moves that yield high % shots and that is key for building confidence.

He ended shooting 8 - 18...That is not 50%...see box:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/magic/sites/default/files/game_3_box.pdf

To be fair, he got counted as going 1/4 with four offensive rebounds on that one missed free throw game.

Not sure what you are referring to here...

He's saying that his work on that possession to get to that ball 4 times should not be counted as inefficient because the first three in-traffic tip shots didn't fall. 1-4 is usually three bad possessions to one good one, but that play was really just one great possession by him. It skews the numbers to just look at that play as 1 of 4 shooting.

One play where he fought for a basket helped skew his numbers a bit. Negatively for shooting, positively for o rebounds

He ended shooting 8 - 18...That is not 50%...see box:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/magic/sites/default/files/game_3_box.pdf

Game stats or maybe a twitter reporter showed 50% on TV. Summer league stats are an inexact science sometimes I guess.

Regardless, he had a great game and when he went cold he found other ways to score and contribute, which is what great players do.

AG actually has the most SUPERSTAR potential on our squad if you ask me.

Keyword --> POTENTIAL

Let's all hope for our sake he becomes just that. He will be a absolute monster if he does.

I for 1 am backing him all the way!

I would agree with this. Gordon, Mario, and Oladip have star potential.

I would agree with this. Gordon, Mario, and Oladip have star potential.

I don't think anyone on our team has super star potential (if assuming by super star we mean Durant/James/Curry/Davis/Harden), but if I had to pick one with the most star potential I would say it's Mario by far. Victor would be second. I think people on here overlook Victor to much. If he can raise his 3pt % he could be elite.

I don't think anyone on our team has super star potential (if assuming by super star we mean Durant/James/Curry/Davis/Harden), but if I had to pick one with the most star potential I would say it's Mario by far. Victor would be second. I think people on here overlook Victor to much. If he can raise his 3pt % he could be elite.

And finish at the rim. He threw up some crazy shots at the rim last year.

It's interesting how people say we don't have any potential superstars and use Curry as a comparison. Curry was nowhere near the player he is today when he first got into the league. He was already awesome at one almost of his game, sure but the rest of his game has improved dramatically from where he was out of college. If anything he should be an example that guys could end up on that level. Jimmy Butler is another one

One play where he fought for a basket helped skew his numbers a bit. Negatively for shooting, positively for o rebounds

Question, when officials are tabulating a box score do they count it a shot attempt when a player is fouled on his shot, commits an offensive foul and or gets his shot blocked ???