Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

Peter Vecsey

Peter Vecsey – Verified account ‏@PeterVecsey1

Thibodeau-Pelicans update: both parties r showing interest in each other, I'm now told. Not 2 say coaching job is his, but things hv changed

FML

Your life is great, now you can go be a Pelicans fan.

Can you please adjust your name fom "love" to "im a casual fan of" because this is getting to be silly to read.

Honestly, this is the problem with our fan base. So many people claim to be hardcore magic fans, but they really are not and are simply casual fans who will stop following the team on a whim or never really did in the first place. But they still feel very entitled to whine and complain about things that they think are bad.

Its more about orlando being a commuter city than anything else.

Casting blame at and disparaging the few fans who are still posting on this message board after the past three (awful) seasons is probably not the right approach.

Any idea about who Skiles might bring in as assistant coaches? Anyone name worthy?

jb is said to be one of them

This surprises me. Would think after getting passed over he would want to leave

There's been no word on if JB will actually be an assistant, only that Skiles said he'd be very open to keeping him on as an assistant or something.

I've said it before, I don't see an issue with JB staying on, so long as Skiles is down with it. Boylan is not coming to Orlando, so Skiles needs assistants. At this point, I doubt they've had much opportunity to speak about it. Now I would assume they will have some sort of meeting (if ownership is also down), get to know each others' philosophies, and see if they can work together. Unless JB has people beating down his door for better gigs, I think he might go for it. The idea that there would be awkwardness this is not really understandable to me. Players understand the business, and I don't think it would be any different than bringing in a new guy to start at the 4. They all knew JB was a stop-gap.

This surprises me. Would think after getting passed over he would want to leave

I'm sure JB knows he's not a head coach in the NBA just yet. He knows and has very good rapport with our guys, so it would make sense if he wants to continue working with them.

I would say the anger comes from having a extreme passion for wanting this team to be successful. After all, they're still here aren't they?

I would say the anger comes from having a extreme passion for wanting this team to be successful. After all, they're still here aren't they?

This is why I don't hold stuff against people when I feel like they sound ridiculous. I can remember last year I was in the chatroom totally freaking out because Orlando drafted Aaron Gordon. I hated the pick. But some of you guys talked me down, didn't hold it against me, pointed me to some good video on Aaron. You see, I hadn't done the real work on looking at Aaron. I just looked at the numbers and saw he couldn't shoot free throws. To me, that was enough. But after researching the guy, I realized his potential was so high it was a pick betting on the team's ability to develop him. I still think Aaron can be a bigger Shawn Marion, which is well worth a 4th pick. The Skiles pick has me even more excited about that possibility.

That's how I'm trying to see the freak-outs going on about Skiles. People want to judge him as if his career ark is set in stone. But the guy has all the X's and O's knowledge a great coach should, and he has the determination and fire, the ability to get guys playing hard. The question is, is the group Orlando has to play for him mature enough to do it the right way. Rob is betting that they are, which will bode well for Skiles.