Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

This is exactly what I've been thinking and trying to say over the last 3-4 days. This forum is a lot more open to this sentiment than the Orlando Magic subreddit.

Reddit in general tends to be a lot more reactionary. I just think the hot name is Tom Thibedeau right now because he's never had a losing season. You can ALSO argue that he's never had a team that didn't have the talent of a winner. The "my way or the high way" attitude only goes so far with professional players.

These guys are the same in terms of mentality. Hard nosed defensive coaches. They will both be very successful with our roster and will both have us in the playoffs.

At this point, you have to go with Thibs as he is a top 5 caliber coach, but Skiles could elevate to that level after coaching this team.

We are in good shape.

These guys are the same in terms of mentality. Hard nosed defensive coaches. They will both be very successful with our roster and will both have us in the playoffs.

At this point, you have to go with Thibs as he is a top 5 caliber coach, but Skiles could elevate to that level after coaching this team.

We are in good shape.

I'm excited for next season with either of these two. I think we don't have a shot at Thibs, but Skiles I think we have if we want him.

Pumped either way.

I am on board for Thibs or Skiles. They are both cut from the same mold and will easily have us in the playoffs next year.

I have zero interest in Gentry....great asst but he has been a failure as HC.

The only other is Brooks but he decided to take a year off from coaching.

I read on the sports center ticker last night that the Bulls believe the 8-9 Milli they owe Thibs will be reduced once he is hired by a team.

Can someone familiar with contracts tell me how that's possible?

There's language in Thibs' contract that say if he's fired and ends up coaching another team, Bulls are only responsible for the difference in pay after taking the salary from the new team into account. Bulls were paying him $4.5m/yr. If Orl pays him $7m/yr, Bulls owe him nothing. But if Orl pays him $1m/yr, Bulls still on the hook for $3.5m/yr.

I can totally see Thibs negotiating a first-year salary of $.50 and having the Bulls pay the remaining $4,499,999.50 just as an F-U, lol.

• Upvote 2

There's language in Thibs' contract that say if he's fired and ends up coaching another team, Bulls are only responsible for the difference in pay after taking the salary from the new team into account. Bulls were paying him $4.5m/yr. If Orl pays him $7m/yr, Bulls owe him nothing. But if Orl pays him $1m/yr, Bulls still on the hook for $3.5m/yr.

I can totally see Thibs negotiating a first-year salary of $.50 and having the Bulls pay the remaining $4,499,999.50 just as an F-U, lol.

Magic told Thibs team they would offer him 7-9mm per year a few weeks backs. They then went after Skiles as well and told Skiles if Thibs freed up they wanted to interview him before they made a final decision.

They talked to Brooks and he told them he wants to take a year off and do TV.

• Upvote 2

We are in good shape.

Both coaches have definitely shown they can win(I'm less impressed with Thibbs mainly because his only head coaching experience is with the Bulls and he's had some really nice rosters there even with Rose being injured 80% of the time) and they both have had issues with management(That's actually a plus in my book. Coaching the NBA isn't like any other head coaching gig in all of professional or college sports. You have to deal with a lot of spoiled players that could easily get you fired at any time). Skiles has a winning record as a head coach and he's been in a lot of situations with questionable rosters. I think Skiles will be a nice fit because I don't see that prima donna attitude in any of our young players. Skiles has simply done more with less than Thibs in my opinion.

Here's the thing, though. Is Thibs worth the extra money he will want? If Orlando has to pay him $8 mil to coach there, that's got to be nearly twice what they'd be willing to pay Skiles. Is Thibs worth $3-4 mil more than Skiles? Is money even a consideration, even that much of it? I just don't know about that.