Sign in to follow this  
~O~

GameThread: Brooklyn Nets @ Orlando Magic

It just shows that the team does not have any go to stars that HAVE to be on the floor for us to win. In fact that only one I'd say is an exception is Payton. The guy is balling at another level. Look at how rapid his improvement has been. It is honestly star level improvement from game 1. This guy is the real deal at PG for us.

We need shooting. That is the key. We made defensive plays once they went small and made shots when we went small because we had all our shooters out there.

Marble could be a major help here if he keeps logging minutes and gets his shot going.

Reality is just that we don't have a great frountcourt tandem yet. Vuc gets doubled and is kicking it out to guys who can't shoot consistently enough.

We could run a 4 out 1 if the doubles on Nik continue, and should seriously consider if at all possible. Its not like running KO with the starters has added any defense or rebounding.

Magic still can not finish consistently enough at the rim, so drives are not as effective as they should be.

Victor needs less touches and more catch and go opportunities. The ball stalls in his hand at times, and I think he just needs to pull up and drill some shots and take it to the rim without hesitation. If Victor makes TO's pull him early for Evan and let him get his head together for a few minutes before going back out there...or, see below.

Harris - keep him in the corner and let him knock down 3s.

Honestly - may want to start Frye again. His defense is terrible, but we need him to spread the floor for Nik.

Just my opinions on some tweaks we can make to get back to winning.

Not to incite a riot or anything, but I feel like this could win us some games that we are losing:

Elf-Evan-Tobias-Frye- Nik

Vic-Gordon-Marble-Dedmon/KOQ rotating in.

Make Vic the super 6th man. Him and Gordon out there together could be a really nice bench punch.

Anyway, great game Wish we won. Just some ideas on little tweaks that I think could work.

The ball stalls because of the play JV wants Vic to setup. Vic in the last 3 games has been consistent, Harris and especially Fournier, have not but Vic should go to the bench.

No one has talked about this (and neither did the commentators) but did anyone notice that HUGE push-off that Jarret Jack had on Ben Gordon to get the ball and let the clock run out?

While Gordon might have sold it a little bit, I'm honestly surprised that it wasn't an offensive foul.

Overall: Payton > The rest of this team

No one has talked about this (and neither did the commentators) but did anyone notice that HUGE push-off that Jarret Jack had on Ben Gordon to get the ball and let the clock run out?

While Gordon might have sold it a little bit, I'm honestly surprised that it wasn't an offensive foul.

I watched the replay on NBA TV and the commentator said it should've been a foul. I don't think they would ever call that in a million years though

I watched the replay on NBA TV and the commentator said it should've been a foul. I don't think they would ever call that in a million years though

There have been plenty of games where this kind of foul is called - for better or worse. We should have lost the game in the end (I don't want us believing it's acceptable to be down 25 b/c we can come back), but that no call was crud from whichever perspective you see it.

I was there and saw it first hand, couldn't believe it was a no call. Also the play before that on the loose ball I feel Ben Gordon was fouled as he jumped up for the rebound and was pretty much tackled by a Net. Ben then dropped the ball and 2 Magic players tried to out hustle a Net for it and ended up knocking it out of bounds.

There have been plenty of games where this kind of foul is called - for better or worse. We should have lost the game in the end (I don't want us believing it's acceptable to be down 25 b/c we can come back), but that no call was crud from whichever perspective you see it.

What about the offensive foul call on Oladipo when he was taking it to the rim? Sure it was an offensive foul but we just saw the same play a few nights ago when Lebron pushed Payton away for that fast break dunk and one. I suppose you can't complain about Lebron no calls as he gets whistled for about 2 fouls a week. SMH @ the Lebron foul on Oladipo's dunk.

Magic got lucky in the fourth quarter with a line up that was just playing loose and hustling. In the last 30 or so seconds when they really needed to formulate a plan and come up with a play JV fell dreadfully short again. I hear a lot about the inexperience of the players but it's the coaching staff as well.

Magic got lucky in the fourth quarter with a line up that was just playing loose and hustling. In the last 30 or so seconds when they really needed to formulate a plan and come up with a play JV fell dreadfully short again. I hear a lot about the inexperience of the players but it's the coaching staff as well.

Vaughn is terrible don't expect him to know when to put the starters back in.

Nice article on Payton

Last night Elfrid Payton came mighty close to leading the Orlando Magic to another historic franchise comeback against the Brooklyn Nets. The 20-year-old was a massive reason why the Magic won in Charlotte on November 21st after being down 23 points. Coincidentally, Elfrid had a career-high sixteen points in both games. The Magic not being able to complete the full comeback from 26 points down to Brooklyn shouldn’t take away attention from what Elfrid did Friday evening. It makes you wonder how the game would have went had Payton played more in the first half.

You’re doing something right when veterans like Deron Williams and Jarrett Jack are having problems with you. The 16 points, 10 assists, 9 rebounds, and 3 steals for Elfrid sounds mighty impressive. Well, he became the 3rd-youngest player in NBA history to acquire that stat line. The two younger guys? LeBron James and John Wall. Not too shabby.

Payton doesn’t have the best shooting percentages (39.9 FG%, but rising) in the league right now which shouldn’t surprise anyone who has seen his game, but he’s the only Magic player to have played all 36 games this season. The rookie point guard has looked much improved and more offensively active since the embarrassing home loss to the Sixers on December 21st. His averages as a starter the last 6 games?

9.5 ppg, 7.0 apg, 4.3 rpg, and 2.0 steals per contest on 46.3 FG% (25-of-54), and 54.6 FT% (6-of-11) at about thirty minutes per contest. Orlando is 3-3 in that stretch. There are worse things in the world than to be compared to the stat stuffing Rajon Rondo. Elfrid already has tallied his first two NBA double-doubles in the past 2 weeks, and he’s displaying his triple-double threat potential.

http://network.yardb...a_orlando_magic