CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Because I posted an opinion of a guy who brought facts to the table regarding Noel ????....Look Soul, if you want this forum to be where everybody just has a big Magic hugfest and everything is perfect with the team then just ban me now.

Of course then your statement of I like a forum where people can post their opinion even if they think things aren't great with the team would be suspect.

Heres the thing - those arent all facts. The main one i take issue with is the pick and roll defense. Gordon has already shown that he is exceptional at it. He could switch and guard the one and they could not get past him. Noel looks very good, but it is now clear henny does not want to run a twin towers system and values the stretch 4. So you are saying we trade vuc and roll the dice on Noel anchoring the middle and not getting hurt? Philly did not because they drafted embiid.

Payton is a year and a half older than Exum and 2 months older than Noel.

Why is it going to take him years to develop but not them?

Exactly. Exum is a project like gordon. They will all take years to develop. This is how the modern NBA draft is. You have to project 3 years into the future with a player.

I don't think I've ever heard NBA TV get more hyped for a 10 points on 10 shots performance than I did last night after Exum's debut. He looked solid overall, not discounting anything he did but the tenor of discussion about him afterwards was ridiculous. Though it was amusing to see Trey Burke hog it up as he saw his window closing as starting point guard of the Jazz.

I don't think I've ever heard NBA TV get more hyped for a 10 points on 10 shots performance than I did last night after Exum's debut. He looked solid overall, not discounting anything he did but the tenor of discussion about him afterwards was ridiculous. Though it was amusing to see Trey Burke hog it up as he saw his window closing as starting point guard of the Jazz.

Even during the game, the announcers were lifting him up, "after the whistle a few plays ago, he pulled up from three and made it. Now there wasn't a defender on him, but it shows he can make that shot, even though he missed it right there."

This was actually being said during the game.

Also, the announcers talked about how Oladipo isn't a point guard, so we should have picked Exum over Gordon because Oladipo isn't a point. Um, I'm pretty sure Payton was our other pick in the draft and showed that he has potential to be a great point in the league.

Also, the announcers talked about how Oladipo isn't a point guard, so we should have picked Exum over Gordon because Oladipo isn't a point. Um, I'm pretty sure Payton was our other pick in the draft and showed that he has potential to be a great point in the league.

If Dante Exum is a point guard then so is Victor Oladipo. Unfortunately American sports are driven by hype to ridiculous lengths. If Dante did not have the hype his game would have been just ok. At this point in time I think they should focus on whether Exum is even the best guard outside of Wiggens, rather than try and hype him up... compare him against the other guards drafted because he was not even the best one on the court that particular game, he would be lucky if he was in the top 15 guards of the day.

I love the fact that Junkie hated Exum as a prospect for the Magic, posted everything negative about the guy that he could find, cited a lack of information on him as a reason to not take him, and now suggests the Magic should have taken Exum - because a couple of summer league games, that he probably didn't watch, was all the evidence he needed to be convinced that Exum could play - as potential evidence of a Hennigan mistake. He literally just admitted to being ready to criticize Hennigan for not drafting a player that he wouldn't have drafted either. If this isn't the definition of trolling then I don't know what is.

• Upvote 6

To add to the "Gordon doesn't play impact defense" discussion from earlier, this article (My link) has some great stuff on the Arizona defense (#1 in the country last year) and how Gordon was a big part of it, but also how it limited him.

If his performance at Arizona isn’t convincing that Gordon is a great defensive prospect, his FIBA stats should drive a nail in that coffin. Not only does this suggest that he may have been able to compile a much higher steal rate if he had been asked, but it also hints at a high level of coachability. At Arizona he was asked to contain penetration, rebound, and not foul, and he did all of the above. In Prague he was asked to apply pressure to force turnovers and he complied as he went on to win MVP of the tournament at age 17.

i can't take junkie seriously with how he gushes over noel, ignoring how good oladipo is, pure agenda driven drivel.

he is complaining about not winning games, but is seemingly fine with having to let noel sit all of last year? be consistent breh

exums first step is off the charts

i hope aaron gordon stops playing around and realizes his best future is at power forward, him playing 20 feet from the basket is a disaster in waiting

I kinda doubt anyone actually thinks his future is at the 3. He currently weighs less than 230, so I can't see him defending bigger 4's until he grows some. I expect them to handle him similarly to Victor, where they challenge him to learn a position that requires further developing his skills and moving him inside when he adds some weight. Regardless, his position will only really dictate where he plays on D.

To add to the "Gordon doesn't play impact defense" discussion from earlier, this article (My link) has some great stuff on the Arizona defense (#1 in the country last year) and how Gordon was a big part of it, but also how it limited him.

we will soon see how much he changes the magic's defense. hopefully you all are right.