CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

After watching the game, I told myself I would not get on the forum and read through the panic posts. I lied, and sure enough after just 1 summer league game the jury is in.

Gordon did not shoot good, but his shot does not "look" broke to me. That shot will develop and I'm confident in that. I really think he's going to be special. As for Payton, there isn't much to say other then the fact that the kid looked nervous. He appeared far to passive and showed little (if any) confidence. Does that worry me and make me think we need to go sign a veteran PG? Absolutely not. You know why? Cause it was his first damn game ever.

Marble looked really comfortable and I think Curry is worth a roster spot as well, though I'm not sure if we will have room for both.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if Roman and Osby will be solid NBA players or not but they don't look like the usual stiffs that we used to draft in the second round. Throw in O'Quinn and Hennigan is starting to develop a reputation of finding functional players late in the draft.

I don't know if Roman and Osby will be solid NBA players or not but they don't look like the usual stiffs that we used to draft in the second round. Throw in O'Quinn and Hennigan is starting to develop a reputation of finding functional players late in the draft.

O'Quinn and Hennigan should be a pub or bed and breakfast.

Or both.

• Upvote 2

O'Quinn and Hennigan should be a pub or bed and breakfast.

Or both.

Actually...that's sort of genius. Sounds like a placer where the Irish fight.

After watching the game, I told myself I would not get on the forum and read through the panic posts. I lied, and sure enough after just 1 summer league game the jury is in.

Gordon did not shoot good, but his shot does not "look" broke to me. That shot will develop and I'm confident in that. I really think he's going to be special. As for Payton, there isn't much to say other then the fact that the kid looked nervous. He appeared far to passive and showed little (if any) confidence. Does that worry me and make me think we need to go sign a veteran PG? Absolutely not. You know why? Cause it was his first damn game ever.

Marble looked really comfortable and I think Curry is worth a roster spot as well, though I'm not sure if we will have room for both.

i believe, with marble we have 13/15 spots used. We should have enough.

nelson, max, moore and price have been cut.

we agreed to sign b. gordon and green.

This board will go nuts when Exum has a great summer league game, lol.

Does that include you ???....Also, when does Exum play his first SL game ???

he will be in the Vegas summer league after this one.

he also opens up verses the 76ers 7/12/2014 at 10am

Gonna be a lot of "I told you so" posts and you know what, it will be rightfully so. If Vonleh turns out good as well, (and I'll always believe we could have gotten him in a trade with Charlotte at #9), I'm gonna be majorly pissed that we could have had an Exum-Vonleh combo. That said, Gordon showed some flashes today that give a hint that he could become really special. Payton? Way too early to declare anything off on one Summer League game. Of course, Oladipo looked crappy in at least one of those last summer that I recall. So, let's see how things play out.

it did not seem that noah would slip to 9th. hind sight 20/20. orl targeted payton as their guy.

From ESPN.....

Elfrid Payton, Magic

The learning curve from Louisiana-Lafayette might be a little stiff for Payton, if first impressions are to be believed. Payton struggled in his debut; he turned the ball over four times in 17 minutes and scored just two points on 1-for-4 shooting. He showed plenty of athleticism, however, and dished out a game-high five assists. But he struggled at times to bring the ball up the floor against smaller guards such as Philadelphia’s 5-foot-10 Casper Ware, and Payton never looked particularly comfortable running a half-court offense. Like Napier, we might see an upswing in production from Payton as the week goes on and Orlando’s offense begins to gel.

Aaron Gordon, Magic

Let’s begin here: Gordon grabbed a shot out of the air in the fourth quarter. It was breathtaking in person, the type of play that wakes up everyone watching after nearly six hours of basketball. Then Gordon followed up his highlight-reel play by trying to take two defenders off the dribble down the court and wound up turning it over. The sequence is probably going to be a solid metaphor for Gordon’s first couple of seasons. He will simultaneously thrill and frustrate -- cutting hard back door and rising for a massive slam at one moment, then taking a step-back 3-pointer that comes up well short another. But he is what was advertised: athletic, solid passer, great defender and good ball handler. He finished 3-for-11 from the floor with seven points and five rebounds.

Victor Oladipo, Magic

Orlando started pressing against Philadelphia in the second half, and it was extremely effective, in large part due to Oladipo’s individual defense against Philly’s ball handlers. Oladipo defended like a junkyard dog, aggressive and snarling, and put heavy pressure on whichever unfortunate point guard was trying to bring the ball up the court for the Sixers. Oladipo’s combination of length, size and lateral quickness made him a nearly impossible roadblock to circumvent. He also shot well: 6-for-11 for 18 points and 2-for-4 3-point shooting.

Nerlens Noel, 76ers

Much will be made of the fact that in the first possession of Noel’s NBA career, he faked an opponent into the air, pivoted and slammed home a one-handed dunk. But Noel’s offensive game (6-for-11 from the floor, 7-for-7 from the free throw line) isn’t as exciting for the Sixers as his defense. Noel looks even longer and more athletic than advertised. His arms stretch for miles, break up passing lanes and stop rolling big men in pick-and-rolls. Meanwhile, his incredibly quick feet help him cut off ball-handlers, which makes him an ideal trapping big. Playing within a system takes time, but Noel appears to be an NBA-caliber defender already.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/69402/orlando-summer-league-day-1-notables

Absolutely not. I like Payton's potential, and it's just summer league; let alone 1st game. I hated him picking up his dribble when they doubled him, but every player has to learn to deal with with double team pressure. He'll get it.

• Upvote 1