Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

I don't believe anything the media reports right now. No one saw Ben Gordon coming and every agent out there is going to throw our name in the mix since we have cap space to drive up prices for their client.

Peterson is a decent enough back up stretch 4 but I don't want to commit to any long term contracts this summer. Gordon at least has no cap impact for next season.

Question, I see many people posting that they don't want our cap space messed with until next summer....Is the reason so we can sign our own players ???....Because I can gaurantee you Lebron, Durant and any other big name isn't coming here to play with such a young team.....

• Upvote 1

Brian Schmitz just blasted Rob Hennigan on Open Mike:

"Inexperienced"

"Sometimes you can get your weather forecast by looking out the window, Rob never looks out the window"

"Another season of tank"

He also eluded to Hennigan getting fired but I'm not sure if he meant by next off-season or the following.

I wouldn't have minded taking Eric Gordon off the pelicans hands but since they've already traded their pick I'm not sure there's anything else to offer us.

Plus it it also looks like we are full on Gordons.

Brian Schmitz just blasted Rob Hennigan on Open Mike:

"Inexperienced"

"Sometimes you can get your weather forecast by looking out the window, Rob never looks out the window"

"Another season of tank"

He also eluded to Hennigan getting fired but I'm not sure if he meant by next off-season or the following.

Lol what a moron.

I do agree that it's time to put a competitive team on the floor. Have they lowered ticket prices to match the quality of play they're putting out there? It's not like it's a secret, they were intentionally bad the past two seasons, and they are clearly not doing all they can to be competitive this season either. Three seasons is a long time to give your fans nothing to root for other than a high draft pick. I get taking your time and trying to build up talent, but what if that talent doesn't pan out the way you hope? Another few years of tanking until we finally get it right?

Refusing to bring in any proven, talented NBA players to mix with our young guys is a pretty big gamble. People keep talking about waiting until later to spend our money, but why? I asked before what players in future FA classes should we be waiting for outside of Durant, not one player was named. Again, I understand being patient and letting talent develop, but in case a few guys don't work out we need to have a few safety nets. Rob is putting all his eggs in one basket, our youth. I just hope this isn't about his ego, thinking he's not capable of making mistakes.

Three years is not that long to wait (just ask Minnesota, Milwaukee or the Clippers up until two years ago) and there's plenty to root for and be excited about. Henny has completely cleaned up the salary cap nightmare that he inherited, has assembled a young athletic team full of high character guys who are hungry, talented, want to compete, and most importantly genuinely seem to want to be in Orlando. If Henny opts not to spend money this summer it's because he either doesn't see the value in what's out there (I mean Hayward just signed a max contract offer sheet, lol), he has his eye on another player, or he wants to see what what we have before making our next move. We knew this was going to take some time and we're just now entering the third year of the re-build...this is not the time to become impatient and jump ship.

I think some people may be disappointed because they believed we would be getting more out of Afflalo and Jameer, but we did get a nice prospect in Fournier and freed up playing time for our young guys in the process. What we thought was out there in terms of trades either weren't there in reality or were not appealing to Rob, and I trust that he made the best decision based on his vision of where this team is heading. I'm not a fan of the Ben Gordon pick-up but it is a safe gamble and is not a move that is going to make or break us, similar to most moves we are likely to make this summer. Sure, we could blow our load on guys like Hayward or Parsons (who I do like a lot) or we can save our money for bigger prizes in the future at similar cost. I think when you look at it this way it makes sense, I mean would anyone be thrilled if we signed Gordon Hayward to a max contract? I sure hope not, because that's not prudent, much less fiscally responsible.

Ok this is getting ridiculous. There are no Free Agents stars that will play for the Orlando Magic this year. It's not realistic. Anyone who is upset we did not get a star this offseason knows literally nothing about basketball and should be forced to watch the WNBA all summer as punishment.

That aside in 2016 there are more guys available than just Durant who will be developed enough to potentially take the team to contender level.

Demar DeRozan would be a prime example. This guy was not a star when drafted. He was developed and became one due to his talent and work ethic. He was a 9th pick in the draft. He is becoming a star now and is available in 2016.

We are now developing the 2nd pick in a draft, the 4th and the 10th. So ask yourself - can one of those guys if not more become a star? The answer is yes. It is a realistic possibility to assume such a thing.

At that point the Magic's needs may not be so pressing in terms of Free Agency home runs. They may just need 1 more solid piece to cement the team as a contender. Someone like Nick Batum, who is also available in 2016 as well.

• Upvote 5

Ok this is getting ridiculous. There are no Free Agents stars that will play for the Orlando Magic this year. It's not realistic. Anyone who is upset we did not get a star this offseason knows literally nothing about basketball and should be forced to watch the WNBA all summer as punishment.

That aside in 2016 there are more guys available than just Durant who will be developed enough to potentially take the team to contender level.

Demar DeRozan would be a prime example. This guy was not a star when drafted. He was developed and became one due to his talent and work ethic. He was a 9th pick in the draft. He is becoming a star now and is available in 2016.

We are now developing the 2nd pick in a draft, the 4th and the 10th. So ask yourself - can one of those guys if not more become a star? The answer is yes. It is a realistic possibility to assume such a thing.

At that point the Magic's needs may not be so pressing in terms of Free Agency home runs. They may just need 1 more solid piece to cement the team as a contender. Someone like Nick Batum, who is also available in 2016 as well.

I have a man-crush on Batum. That would be so sick. Payton/Oladipo/Batum/Gordon.....wow. Rob isn't stupid people. We aren't signing role players to long term contracts because he has a vision and is preserving cap space for 2015/16. Refreshing.

• Upvote 1

Nothing to be upset about. Thus far, there has been a trust that the GM won't force anything ridiculous. Having the cap space alone is a relief. Going off what the Spurs did to win the title, big names don't always equate to actual contention.

There's a feeling of hierarchy within the organization in which players don't ultimately decide who comes in and out. This is one of various reasons I don't mind the Magic not signing big name talent. No one is above his teammates.

I've been interesting in DeMar DeRozan for the longest.

2015-2016 free agency list thus far.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-free-agents-2015-2016/

Jameer Nelson, Orlando Magic (Unrestricted): Nelson went largely forgotten while caretaking for the rebuilding Magic, but now he's in position to help a winning team at a reasonable price. Nelson will have his suitors; not only is he still a quality backup option, but Nelson plays an intelligent, reliable game that is inherently good for rotational stability. It helps, too, that Nelson is one of the few guards of his size (he's listed generously at 6-0) who isn't a defensive liability. He's strong enough to fight through screens and heady enough to challenge opponents in one-on-one situations, the value of which is clear in a market filled with one-dimensional players.

http://www.si.com/nb...s-jameer-nelson

The part about Jameer not being a defensive liability made me lol.