Sign in to follow this  
DanA_TBDP

Feed Nik

Nik Vucevic is becoming one of the best centers in basketball and if you can't see it, you're blind. He had 17-17 against Al Jefferson last night, has 11 rebounds in 6 straight games, is finally hitting that mid range jumper (and getting very close to extending it to the three).

Nik's game lately has been unreal on both ends. I'm frustrated with the lack of touches though. I think we could benefit from a few Nik post ups a game when our offense gets stagnant. He's 7'0 with good moves and range.

I know some people view him as a stop-gap and a throw in but to be honest, I am very close to viewing Nik as the future of this team. 22 years old and he's already had GREAT games against Dwight and Al Jefferson. The future is bright, I'd just like to see him get more involved.

• Upvote 2

Nik Vucevic is becoming one of the best centers in basketball and if you can't see it, you're blind. He had 17-17 against Al Jefferson last night, has 11 rebounds in 6 straight games, is finally hitting that mid range jumper (and getting very close to extending it to the three).

Nik's game lately has been unreal on both ends. I'm frustrated with the lack of touches though. I think we could benefit from a few Nik post ups a game when our offense gets stagnant. He's 7'0 with good moves and range.

I know some people view him as a stop-gap and a throw in but to be honest, I am very close to viewing Nik as the future of this team. 22 years old and he's already had GREAT games against Dwight and Al Jefferson. The future is bright, I'd just like to see him get more involved.

True that!

I agree, not necessarily that he should get a lot more touches, but that this guy is a keeper and should be locked up and extended as soon as possible. Name any other 22 year old center in the league averaging 10.4pts and 9.9rbs a game? I don't believe there is one. This guy is our center for now and hopefully for the forseeable future and I'm sure Henny agrees...lock him up!

I'm surprised he isn't considered a MIP candidate even though his per 36 numbers I believe suggested he was capable of this.

But yeah, he's Brook Lopez minus the bloated deal, poor rebounding, and ugly mug. Lopez may be a bit more polished offensively, but Vuc is young.

I'm surprised he isn't considered a MIP candidate

According to the Jazz commentators he is and I can't see why not.

Whoah. Slow down there buddy. I think no one will disagree with you that Vucci-Man is not a good young up and coming player, and definitely deserves to be held onto. But that much? Whoah.

Good thread and good points, I think time is a huge issue with him, he needs that extra something to be what Magic require of him to be the future of this team.

To me though right now he reminds me of a younger Gortat getting more minutes, I hope he keeps playing well though as he is out performing my expectations of him.

Good thread and good points, I think time is a huge issue with him, he needs that extra something to be what Magic require of him to be the future of this team.

To me though right now he reminds me of a younger Gortat getting more minutes, I hope he keeps playing well though as he is out performing my expectations of him.

His play style is much different from Gortat.

Homerism is strong with this one.

Vucevic is a decent center with decent upside, but settle down. He has a pretty good touch and a good knack for rebounding, but his lack of explosiveness prevents him from having a greater upside. The guy can't get to the free throw line. At all. He's averaging one freethrow a game, despite playing 30 mpg. There exist only nine occasions in NBA history where a player 6-10 or taller has played 30+ mpg and shot less than 1.5 FTA per game, three of which belonged to stretch fours (Anderson/Frye/Ferry) and two of which belonged to the same person (Horace Grant's twilight years). Vuc is currently dead last in that list for attempts per game, and is currently the only player in NBA history under that criteria to average 1.0 or less free throws per game.

Listen, I like the fact that he's got great length and a pretty good touch but he needs to up the aggression a good notch, or two. I've lost count of how many dunk attempts he's botched on pick and rolls. It's ridiculous. Our team neither gets a lot of high % 3's or freethrows, so those empty possessions only exacerbate our lack of an efficient offense.

He is a pretty good defender, as well. And he has a lot of room to grow. But now? More attempts? Please.

He's a young player with decent upside and has already proven he was more than just a throw in. He will never be an elite athlete but the arguments highlighted above about lack of aggression and pretty much no free throw attempts. I won't be surprised if we lock him up long term though.

He's already been compared to Marc Gasol and Marcin Gortat.....and neither of those comparisons make any sense. I think if we are going to compare him to other random white centers then we should really go for it and compare him to Bill Walton or at least Mark Eaton.