barnettej

2012 Orlando Magic Regular Season Thread

And we can't rule out draft day trades. It might be a good idea to keep our main core in tact this year, for the sake of morale and team growth, but then in the offseason make those trades for higher draft picks/cap space. The team won't have to tank and the players can stay in the winning mindset while not forsaking the possibility of good draft picks.

Of course, smaller trades should be expected by the deadline... either Harrington or McBob for picks/cash.

Time will tell.

I'm very curious to see how JV will handle substitutions once Hedo and Al return.

Keep them on the bench (wishful thinking)

And I love it how everyone says the draft class is weak when the season just started.

They also said we were the worst team in the league... only time will tell

And we can't rule out draft day trades. It might be a good idea to keep our main core in tact this year, for the sake of morale and team growth, but then in the offseason make those trades for higher draft picks/cap space. The team won't have to tank and the players can stay in the winning mindset while not forsaking the possibility of good draft picks.

Of course, smaller trades should be expected by the deadline... either Harrington or McBob for picks/cash.

Time will tell.

The guys with expiring contracts, a la JJ, will obviously have to be moved prior to the draft, which is why I think we rent him out to a team that's looking to make a postseason run.

Now a guy like Turkoglu, with a partially guaranteed deal at season's end could definitely be moved during the draft.

With that being said, don't let 2 games necessarily convince you that this team is going to make a run at getting into the playoffs. We're only a fraction of the way into the season and there's a lot that can happen between now and then. Temper your expectations for now.

The guys with expiring contracts, a la JJ, will obviously have to be moved prior to the draft, which is why I think we rent him out to a team that's looking to make a postseason run.

Now a guy like Turkoglu, with a partially guaranteed deal at season's end could definitely be moved during the draft.

With that being said, don't let 2 games necessarily convince you that this team is going to make a run at getting into the playoffs. We're only a fraction of the way into the season and there's a lot that can happen between now and then. Temper your expectations for now.

I would be shocked if AA or JJ isn't traded by the deadline. They make $14M combined this year, and JJ will be looking for a raise. I pasted a list of teams owning more than one 2013 draft pick. The Bulls and Thunder have some attractive picks that could be used in trade

2013 First-Round Picks Owed

Atlanta Hawks: Receives Houston’s first-round pick from Nets via Joe Johnson trade on 11/7/12.

Charlotte Bobcats: Receives Portland’s 2013 first-round pick (top-12 protected through 2015) via the Gerald Wallace trade on 2/24/11.

Chicago Bulls: Receives 2013 first-round pick (top-12 protected in 2013, top-10 in 2014, top-8 in 2015, unprotected in 2016) from the Charlotte Bobcats via the Tyrus Thomas trade on 2/18/10.

Cleveland Cavaliers: Receives Miami’s 2013 first-round pick (top-10 protected through 2014) via the LeBron James trade on 7/9/10. Receives Sacramento’s 2013 first-round pick (top-13 protected in 2013, top-12 protected in 2014, top-10 protected 2015-17; if not conveyed by 2017, receives 2017 second-round pick) via the J.J. Hickson trade on 6/30/11. Have the option to switch less favorable of their pick and HEAT’s with Lakers via Ramon Sessions trade on 3/15/12.

Miami HEAT: Receives Philadelphia’s 2013 first-round pick (top-12 protected in 2013-2015, unprotected in 2016) via Arnett Moultrie trade on 6/28/12

Minnesota Timberwolves: Receives Memphis’ 2013 first-round pick (top-14 protected through 2016) via Houston via the Shane Battier trade on 2/24/11. Receives Utah’s 2013 first-round pick (top-12 protected in 2013, top-9 protected from right to swap in 2014, else 2014 second-round pick) via the Al Jefferson trade on 7/13/10.

New Jersey Nets: Receives Houston’s 2013 first-round pick (top-14 protected through 2016) via the Terrence Williams trade on 12/15/10.

Oklahoma City Thunder: Receives Toronto’s first-round pick (top-3 and 15-13 protected in 2013, top-2 and 15-30 protected in 2014-15, top-1 and 15-30 protected in 2016-2017, unprotected in 2018) and Dallas’ first-round pick (top-20 protected in 2013-2017) from Houston via James Harden trade on 10/28/12.

Phoenix Suns: Receives L.A. Laker’s 2013 first-round pick (less favorable) via the Steve Nash trade on 7/11/12. Receive the least favorable of Minnesota’s first-round pick (Minnesota’s pick is top-13 protected in 2013-2014, top-12 protected in 2015-2016; Grizzlies pick top-14 protected in 2013-2016) via three-team trade with New Orleans on 7/27/12

Utah Jazz: Receives Golden State’s 2013 first-round pick (top-7 protected in 2013, top-6 protected in 2014, else 2014 and 2016 second-round picks) via Utah (from the Marcus Williams trade on 9/29/09) from the Deron Williams trade on 2/23/11.

• Upvote 1

With all those protections it's hard to tell which of those picks is the best, the Thunder's pick from Houston that is guaranteed lotto looks great but let's face it, with Sefolosha, Martin and Lamb they're set at SG. Unless it were a 3 team trade I don't see it.

Interesting tidbit in the Jazz preview:

"In addition to keeping Vucevic involved, the Magic may want to get Redick more looks. Orlando is 7-3 when he has at least 11 points and 0-6 when he scores 10 or fewer."

Also, I didn't realize Harrington could be back at the end of the month. I'm interested to see what he brings (both to the team and as trade bait).

We're 6-3 with Jameer and JJ both in the line-up with wins against pre-season darlings LA and Denver and a pretty good win against what's been a red-hot Golden State team.

And for all we know, Harrington could be our second or third best player. Getting him back will be huge.

We're a deep team with really young, raw players too who are going to grow as the year goes on, especially with the work ethic some of our veterans have. And if Vuc can average a double-double the rest of the way, things will only look up.

We're 6-3 with Jameer and JJ both in the line-up with wins against pre-season darlings LA and Denver and a pretty good win against what's been a red-hot Golden State team.

And for all we know, Harrington could be our second or third best player. Getting him back will be huge.

We're a deep team with really young, raw players too who are going to grow as the year goes on, especially with the work ethic some of our veterans have. And if Vuc can average a double-double the rest of the way, things will only look up.

Excellent assessment.

In other news, Taken from NBA.com:

"Now the talk shows and the Twitterverse will be teeming with the suggestions for coach Mike D’Antoni to chain Howard to the bench in the fourth quarter of close games."

Saw the Houston win over Lakers last night. Hack a Howard worked once again.

Excellent assessment.

In other news, Taken from NBA.com:

"Now the talk shows and the Twitterverse will be teeming with the suggestions for coach Mike D’Antoni to chain Howard to the bench in the fourth quarter of close games."

Saw the Houston win over Lakers last night. Hack a Howard worked once again.

Why do I feel like after this season the league will mysteriously implement rules that make it harder to intentionally foul lol

• Upvote 2

Why do I feel like after this season the league will mysteriously implement rules that make it harder to intentionally foul lol

I wouldn't put it past them. You know who could just end this forever? Howard.. just by making 60-65% of them. I think this another shining example of how mentally weak he is. I don't actually have the numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if he shot a better percentage on jumpers than FT's. Last year he had a FT coach and was worse than ever. Obviously he'll never be particularly good at shooting foul shots, but I think it's become mental as much as anything. What a child.