barnettej

2012 Orlando Magic Regular Season Thread

Kevin Love having a little rift with Minnesota's management and his contract expires in a couple years...

grinch.gif

Love is under contract until the 2015-2016 season when he has a player option. That's a long time, if Ricky Rubio pans out the Timberwolves could have had at least a season of title contention. Regardless, he'll probably opt out if only to get a better contract. It says something when Turk is getting paid 2 million less than the best power forward in the NBA.

I'd rather have JJ bring the ball up than E'twan Moore. I think he has enough handle to do that, and to think he doesn't is kind of laughable. Remember Chris Duhon.

BUT I don't want him bringing the ball up the court, I want him to flash from the post, coming off an off-ball screen, receiving the ball at the elbow to initiate the offense. This way, when Redick catches the ball, he has options. Of course, he can shoot the ball if the screen sheds the defender, he can run a subsequent pick-and-roll/pop, run another play, or attack the defense off the dribble.

And I'm just adding this for kicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q7gPWYCKdw

• Upvote 2

I would love to be a fly in the wall and see what kind of offers we get on trades. It seems like a lot of teams have need/interest in:

JJ

AA

Baby

Harrington

There has been lost of trades for AA proposed on RealGM... it could get interesting, maybe we can get a true backup PG and some more pix. We also still have at least 2 sizable TEs, 1 from RA and a big one from Dwight. Don't know if we'll use them but ythey do have some value to other teams.

I would love to be a fly in the wall and see what kind of offers we get on trades. It seems like a lot of teams have need/interest in:

JJ

AA

Baby

Harrington

There has been lost of trades for AA proposed on RealGM... it could get interesting, maybe we can get a true backup PG and some more pix. We also still have at least 2 sizable TEs, 1 from RA and a big one from Dwight. Don't know if we'll use them but ythey do have some value to other teams.

Any notable prospects or picks mentioned? ..not that fan suggestions mean anything. Just curious.

Re-watched the 4th quarter of the ATL game. If I were Jacque Vaughn, I'd take Glenn Davis to the woodshed during the next team meeting. I couldn't be more upset for one player's performance and I've noticed this from him before.

Davis is forcing shots on a regular basis and not looking for the playmakers on the team. It's like he's trying to be the star or something, it's frustrating to watch. When he wasn't getting the ball, his effort in setting screens and his awareness for spacing was a joke. Defensively, he actually gave effort, I'll give him that. However, once the Magic transitioned to offense it was like he wanted to be THE guy and if he didn't get the ball he didn't want any part of the offense.

Re-watched the 4th quarter of the ATL game. If I were Jacque Vaughn, I'd take Glenn Davis to the woodshed during the next team meeting. I couldn't be more upset for one player's performance and I've noticed this from him before.

Davis is forcing shots on a regular basis and not looking for the playmakers on the team. It's like he's trying to be the star or something, it's frustrating to watch. When he wasn't getting the ball, his effort in setting screens and his awareness for spacing was a joke. Defensively, he actually gave effort, I'll give him that. However, once the Magic transitioned to offense it was like he wanted to be THE guy and if he didn't get the ball he didn't want any part of the offense.

He only took like 7 shots that game, but I know what you mean. There was a stretch, it might have been in the 4th, were he took 3 quick shots completely out of the flow of the offense, none of which went in. In a close game (or at least a game the Magic were in), every possession counts. I am note saying he cost them the game, but had we scored on 2 of his missed shots the score would have obviously been a lot closer and then who knows. I am the Hawks do seem to be pretty cocky so maybe they let there coolness get in the way of completing a play or two and we sneak out a win.

• Upvote 1

Hence the reason for my rant on Glen.... and my statement about not looking for "Quantity" but for "Quality" and being something your not. I mean I get it we all feel that way a time or two. We all get into that phase where nothing can stop us, however most of us keep our abilities or lack of.... in mind. Those who dont usually do things they later regret.

Davis is 6"9... 280+ lbs... w/ average foot work and a 2inch vertical... Why is Glen trying to take someone off the dribble and then do a spin move from the outside of the box into the middle for a one hand hook shot.... is beyond me. Its not his game and wasnt his game ever.

"Just play within yourself"...... Thats all im asking.

• Upvote 1

Latest SI NBA power rankings

21lakers_50.pngLast Week: 18Since: 0-4Los Angeles Lakers (9-14)Numbers don't do this team's dysfunction justice. You can junk all the Steve Nash and Pau Gasol excuses -- shouldn't Kobe Bryant, Howard and a couple of warm bodies be enough to beat the Cavs or Magic? Howard isn't just struggling with his free-throw shooting, either. His defensive presence, his trademark ability, hasn't been up to par. Then there's the fact that Bryant's personal success is suddenly toxic to his team's success, with the Lakers going 1-10 when he scored 30 points or more. Maybe Magic Johnson is right, maybe Mike D'Antoni's system will never work in Los Angeles. But for this group of players and coaches to not be able to adapt and play at least .500 ball is stunning. The Lakers' demise continues to be the biggest story of the season, with every painful loss amplifying the chaos.

22magic_50.pngLast Week: 21Since: 1-2Orlando Magic (8-13)The Magic are dangerously close to passing the Lakers in the Power Rankings, something that seemed unfathomable when Dwight Howard was dealt this summer. But first-year coach Jacque Vaughn has made sure the team's defense didn't leave town just because the three-time Defensive Player of the Year did. The Magic own the 8th most efficient defense in the league and are surrendering the ninth-fewest points. The key has been a combination of effort and luck. Orlando is holding opponents to just 31.7 percent from three-point range on the year, second-best in the league and a credit to the team's perimeter defense. But Magic opponents are also shooting an NBA-worst 70.6 percent from the free-throw line, a credit to the team's good fortunes. Maybe this is the basketball gods' way of invoking karmic justice and rewarding Orlando. It sure would explain the debacle in Laker Land.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2F3jkojzw

• Upvote 2