Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Time to Fire Otis Smith???

121 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Magic owners fire Otis Smith?

• Yes, it is time
    • No, it is not time

This is a perfect opportunity for a GM to prove he can get the job done, and he'd likely get a bit of a pass until this mess is more pliable.

I don't think a proven commodity would want to jump in mid-season, so you'd basically be rolling the dice with someone that could be just as bad. I think the best thing that could be done is for ownership to just put a halt to everything and finish the season as currently constructed.

I don't think a proven commodity would want to jump in mid-season, so you'd basically be rolling the dice with someone that could be just as bad. I think the best thing that could be done is for ownership to just put a halt to everything and finish the season as currently constructed.

You're saying things that are logical, well thought out, and not blatantly reactionary.

We don't do those things here.

I get the impression that everything now runs through Martins. I think BVW basically gave Otis free reign to do whatever he wanted. As the Notorious BIG once said Mo Money Mo Problems.

So I take comfort in that.

This is a perfect opportunity for a GM to prove he can get the job done, and he'd likely get a bit of a pass until this mess is more pliable.

I'm with jec on this Kberto. We have a new building, an ownership group that will spend money and a good coach all in a good city and the honeymoon period will be extended because there is a lot of cleaning up to do.

While I understand your thinking, I don't see any difference in Firing Otis and letting someone become a name filler in the the mean time and ride this nightmare out, verse hanging o. To Otis and riding this nightmare out.

If anything, firing Otis would show that there will be immediate changes following the season, leaving some credit ability that the ownership is not going to stand for this garbage that we have.

As of right now we are looked at as a laughing stock of the NBA. A million dollar franchise, with a multi million dollar building, with the top Center in the NBA, who can't win games against any team, not to mention being blown out repeatly.

The guy behind the guy, who's been trained well and is ready to step out of the shadows of his mentor will be ready...

The flip-side of that is who would ever want to be brought into this situation? A drowning team that just fired its GM? No self-respecting/worthy candidate would entertain such a notion, especially not in the middle of a season. Unfortunately, we're kind of stuck.

Certainly there's a Hockey or Football GM out there that we could bring in...

Assuming Otis does get fired, and let's all pray to whomever it is we pray to that that happens soon, I really hope we don't hire a GM that used to be a player. The only successful GM that I know of that used to be a player is West. The rest are completely unable to negotiate with the trained killers that players hire to represent them. The Magic need a GM that is a sound business person first and foremost. I don't even necessarily think the GM needs to have a basketball background as long as he has trusted basketball minds underneath him that can properly evaluate players' abilities.

Taking all that I said in the first paragraph into consideration, I don't think it's out of the question that Martins could end up filling the GM role.

You're saying things that are logical, well thought out, and not blatantly reactionary.

We don't do those things here.

Reactionary would be pulling the trigger quickly after one screw up...this has been one bone headed move after another for several years. Quite the contrary most of us think it is long overdue. If anything ownership has stood by him far longer than they should have hence the issues we currently have. Logical not reactionary.

Allowing him to trade dwight would be like having a 18 year old who has wrecked 5 cars in the last 2 years and saying OK weve only got one car left. The one car is my pride and joy vintage daytona spyder... heres the keys ...I hope youll take good care of it. Right Ferris?

Clearly he needs to go, but I am more curious of to know who they replace him with. Hopefully someone who is a hard ass when it comes to trading.