Sign in to follow this  
KillingInTheNameOf

The Suggestion Box

Name 1 adjustment any individual Magic player could easily make to their game that would lead to better overall play/production in your opinion.

Example: Dwight knocking down a higher percentage of FT's would surely improve his game, but I think it's been established that's not an easy switch to flip. I'm thinking more along the lines of things a coach could suggest to a player that would have an immediate impact on his game tomorrow. But, feel free to include slighly more long term goals if you wish.

I'm curious to see what those who watch these guys play more than anybody outside the coaching staff might suggest.

KITNO, I'll start.

Jameer

1. Needs to stop walking the ball up the court.

2. He needs to work on taking better care of the ball.

Sometimes, when Jameer gets trapped, he turns the ball over. One example was last night in the 4th quarter when KG was guarding him on the perimeter, Jameer tried to get the ball out to (I believe) JRich, and KG's long arm reached out and knocked the ball to his teammate. Another example is he sometimes dribble into the paint, becomes airborne then turns around and throws the ball into the hands of the opponent.

NOTE: I'M NOT SAYING HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS A PROBLEM. KITNO SAID TO PICK ONE player.

Btw, I think Jameer is hurt and not telling anyone because he is not slashing to the basket for layups the way he did last season. On second thought, he is probably trying to avoid injury.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Name 1 adjustment any individual Magic player could easily make to their game that would lead to better overall play/production in your opinion.

Example: Dwight knocking down a higher percentage of FT's would surely improve his game, but I think it's been established that's not an easy switch to flip. I'm thinking more along the lines of things a coach could suggest to a player that would have an immediate impact on his game tomorrow. But, feel free to include slighly more long term goals if you wish.

I'm curious to see what those who watch these guys play more than anybody outside the coaching staff might suggest.

Meer - Drive.

Gil - Drive.

Turk - Drive.

J Rich - Be more aware of screens.

Anderson - More pump faking.

Bass - If you don't have a clear jumper or an open lane, pass.

JJ - Find a way to make drawing contact for the and1 more believable.

Dwight - Contest harder when not in foul trouble.

Entire team - Communicate more on the defensive end.

NOTE: i'M NOT SAYING HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS A PROBLEM. KITNO SAID TO PICK ONE player.

I believe he said pick one adjustment for a player. :-)

Brandon Bass:

I would say the one thing he needs to do is play in control of himself. What I mean is that he thinks way too much when he has the ball and doesn't know what he's going to do after he drives. It was exposed in our previous game against the Celtics where on most offensive possessions, Bass would throw the ball at the rim for a "hail mary" layup or end up taking some atrocious turnaround shot. He didn't look comfortable with those types of shot attempts and we need him to be. He has to look more poised on offense..more fluid.

Hedo: Get the ball to Dwight.

Jrich: Get the ball to Dwight.

Jameer: Get the ball to Dwight.

Arenas: Get the ball to Dwight.

Bass: Get the ball to Dwight.

Anderson: Get the ball to Dwight.

Allen: Get the ball to Dwight.

Qrich: Get the ball to Dwight.

Jwill: Get the ball to Dwight.

Orton: Get the ball to Dwight.

Duhon: Get the ball to Dwight.

Dwight: Next time a player drives so out of control that they end up throwing the ball off the side of the backboard with 3 minutes left in a close game, snap their neck in half during the next timeout.

• Upvote 7

Bass- Watch numerous of Dennis Rodman/Horace Grant footage. Watch how guys who aren't near as athletic as you, rotate and defend. Your a big boy son. No one your guarding should be able to get into the paint.

Jameer- Same thing. Your a big boy. Maybe not height wise but your too strong and with good enough quickness to be letting pg's get to the rim. Put a body on em. Who cares about the damn refs? They'll never change no matter how soft you play.

Dwight - Keep doing what you've been doing these past 4 or 5 games. Maybe be a little more aggressive on defense to start the game (though I recognize his attempt to stay out of foul trouble and on the court)

Bass - Learn your defensive rotations until they are second nature and you don't have to think about them. Visibly. During the game.

Hedo - Stop slacking off. Play like you did at the beginning of our 9 game run. Aggressive, with decent defensive effort. I can live with the sub par defense if you are trying, but not when you combine it with a lack of effort.

Jameer - Get into the paint a little more often (recognizing here when we play like we did last night and using Hedo to initiate the offense, it's more difficult for Nelson have an impact here)

Ryno - Put on some weight in the offseason so you can hold your own in the paint, other than that, keep bringing that energy, shooting, and offensive boards

J-Rich - Next time KG wants to keep setting moving screens on you, drive your elbow into the small of his back.

JJ - Not much here, I think his big issue is lack of athleticism, and that isn't going to change, though he has done a good job of working on his game to make up for it

Arenas - Ask Santa for new knees? Take better care of the ball, exercise a little caution, and take better shots. Just because it's the end of the quarter doesn't mean you have to shoot from so far behind the arc, it's okay to move up a little closer.

That's our 8 man rotation so, everyone else, keep holding that bench down!

Dwight: Next time a player drives so out of control that they end up throwing the ball off the side of the backboard with 3 minutes left in a close game, snap their neck in half during the next timeout.

Yes.

Redick: Try to penetrate the lane more. He accomplished this a couple times last night, and in turn completely collapsed the Boston D. It is harder for the other team to recover from him doing it than say Jameer because Redick(as an off guard) comes from a different angle usually than the pg does. He is strangely good at making it to the rim, but doesnt do so because(imo) he is too concerned with playing 'smart' and not risking turning the ball over. I believe that even if Redick turned the ball over every now and again down low it would be worth the extra looks that everyone(including Dwight) gets. I am already convinced he is one of the better penetrators on the team. He needs to grow a pair and take more risks that dont involve contested three's.

Jameer: become a better NBA pointguard, this isnt Saint Joe's anymore. Attack the basket or gtfo.

I think this might need to be my next signature. As a side note I think Dwight is at the point where he should simply walk up to guys and take the ball.