Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

"Howard Signing Extension Not Automatic"

Dwight Howard wants to stay in Orlando, but those closest to him say that signing a contract extension this summer with the Magic isn't a gimme.

Not "automatic" I'm told.

Magic CEO Bob Vander Weide told me he wouldn't be surprised if Howard waits to make a decision, largely because of the uncertainty of the labor situation possibly affecting salary structures.

But there's certainly more behind Howard's thinking:

He might well make his mind up whether to accept an extension based on how the Magic fare through the playoffs this season.

Howard will determine if he needs more help to win a title (he does), which will put the front office into the proverbial front-court press to obtain another star (very difficult).

I don't blame Dwight. He wants to win it all and needs better talent around him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank You, Soul Bro....I was just about to post this myself....and Brian Schmitz saying for the 100th time (sarcasm) that Dwight needs help....when are the rest of you Magic fans gonna wake up and smell the coffee???

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Beyond the trade ideas, Stan has to seriously clean up his rotations, which have been awful. He treats the SF and PF positions like the Pats treat their RB position. We need consistency in the plan and execution of it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thank You, Soul Bro....I was just about to post this myself....and Brian Schmitz saying for the 100th time (sarcasm) that Dwight needs help....when are the rest of you Magic fans gonna wake up and smell the coffee???

I'm wide awake with you on this one, BallJ. This year's Magic looks like a huge step back from the previous 2 seasons. The talent around Dwight is older and slower (primarily Lewis), and they are not getting any better!

• Downvote 4

Very exciting news that was never written about before and has some good quotes to go with it! Thanks for posting!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually there is nothing that hasn't been said before when Howard was offered the extension first time. Stan can do whatever he wants I think Otis is the factor here, if he keeps making another bad decisions that doesn't motivate Howard atleast.

Actually there is nothing that hasn't been said before when Howard was offered the extension first time. Stan can do whatever he wants I think Otis is the factor here, if he keeps making another bad decisions that doesn't motivate Howard atleast.

True, true, we hope the best!!

There is nothing in this article we haven't heard before. We all know Dwight signing an extension isn't automatic, that doesn't mean he wants to leave and it doesn't mean we have to blow up the roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't blame him. I think he should wait to see what kind of talent they bring in next summer. Hopefully, Otis make something happen, because the roster that he's playing with now isn't gonna cut it if he plans on winning a championship.

Dwight is simply stating Otis you need to get something done here or im done with Orlando.

Otis needs to get his act together and stop with I like this team bs and trade for another bonafide superstar that can help him win the championship here in orlando or he is looking somewhere else to win it...

• Downvote 1

Beyond the trade ideas, Stan has to seriously clean up his rotations, which have been awful. He treats the SF and PF positions like the Pats treat their RB position. We need consistency in the plan and execution of it.

Wow, I like that analogy...I like it a lot.

I think Bass has solidified his position in the rotation. RA is apparently the odd man out, maybe that game he started was to increase his trade value?

We have Bass, Rashard, RA, and Gortat who have all played the 4 so far this year. And like you said, SVG uses them like exchangeable parts on the automobile we call a lineup. IDK if this is a good thing to have this type of flexibility, or a bad thing because players aren't called upon for their consistent roles, assignments and PT.