Sign in to follow this  
MilitaryMagic

SHOCKING: Grant Hill benched for tonight's game!

quote:
Magic shooting guard Grant Hill will come off the bench for the first time this season as a healthy player, replaced by Keith Bogans in the starting lineup tonight against the Bulls.

Hill is returning after missing three games with a foot injury.

Coach Brian Hill said the decision was "not etched in stone" as far as Hill regaining his spot, but General Manager Otis Smith talked about the team seeking "continuity."

"We're looking for some continuity," Smith said. "He's been in and out. It's a continuity issue. You might not see any difference, really, in his number of minutes."

Grant wasn't particularly thrilled of the move, and said, "It's the coach's decision. It's out of my hands. That's all I know."

I was dead wrong about this.

I never thought Coach Hill would sit Grant because he usually defers to veterans. I thought Brian was being coy Wednesday when he wouldn't commit to starting Grant.

Then again, if Grant score 25 and looks great, he could be back in the lineup Sunday.

It might be the best for all parties, of course.

Grant might have to make concession next year, anyway. The Magic want continuity, and can't afford to have him in and out with injuries.

Besides, they are looking for another scorer this offseason, anyway.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/03/shocking_move_g.html

UNBELIEVABLE!

Is this a sign that our management is getting a clue? It sounds like Otis made this decision.

Does this help or hurt our offense? Our defense?

Furthermore, is a disgruntled Grant a bad Grant? This is the first time I remember that our management / coaching staff is going against Grant's wishes. Grant just got done telling the world how he wants to be a big part of a postseason push and only NOW does our management wise up and realize it hurts to have Grant in and out of the starting lineup.

If Grant accepts a 6th man role, our bench is immediately improved 10-fold! If Battie comes back... what a great bench to have Grant and Battie coming in against the other team's second unit!

quote:
Magic shooting guard Grant Hill will come off the bench for the first time this season as a healthy player, replaced by Keith Bogans in the starting lineup tonight against the Bulls.

Hill is returning after missing three games with a foot injury.

Coach Brian Hill said the decision was "not etched in stone" as far as Hill regaining his spot, but General Manager Otis Smith talked about the team seeking "continuity."

"We're looking for some continuity," Smith said. "He's been in and out. It's a continuity issue. You might not see any difference, really, in his number of minutes."

Grant wasn't particularly thrilled of the move, and said, "It's the coach's decision. It's out of my hands. That's all I know."

I was dead wrong about this.

I never thought Coach Hill would sit Grant because he usually defers to veterans. I thought Brian was being coy Wednesday when he wouldn't commit to starting Grant.

Then again, if Grant score 25 and looks great, he could be back in the lineup Sunday.

It might be the best for all parties, of course.

Grant might have to make concession next year, anyway. The Magic want continuity, and can't afford to have him in and out with injuries.

Besides, they are looking for another scorer this offseason, anyway.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/03/shocking_move_g.html

UNBELIEVABLE!

Is this a sign that our management is getting a clue? It sounds like Otis made this decision.

Does this help or hurt our offense? Our defense?

Furthermore, is a disgruntled Grant a bad Grant? This is the first time I remember that our management / coaching staff is going against Grant's wishes. Grant just got done telling the world how he wants to be a big part of a postseason push and only NOW does our management wise up and realize it hurts to have Grant in and out of the starting lineup.

If Grant accepts a 6th man role, our bench is immediately improved 10-fold! If Battie comes back... what a great bench to have Grant and Battie coming in against the other team's second unit!

I'm surprised that Grant seems unhappy with the situation. When the heck did he earn the right to put himself in the starting lineup? He hasn't been healthy in seven years. IMO, that makes him a prime candidate to come off the bench and he needs to accept that role.

Finally!!!! Someone showing some ***** and benching a guy who just can not play every night.

I think this last injury got to them thinking considering it was only a cyst and some tendinitis. Every player in the league is knicked up this time of year, but when your MAX contract guy can't suck it up and play. What does that say to the younger players on the team?

Please stop the hero worship and start realizing their are those who lead by personality and those who lead by their actions.

G.Hill coming from the bench? Then, I can see the future:

G. Hill comes in with the second unit and JJ has -4 FGA, Carlos has -3 assists, Ariza or Dooling punches Hill to take the ball from his hands, and Bo or Pat sits under the basket to watch Hill try to do-it-all. At the end of the night, the second unit gets outscored by 15, outrebounded by 8, but the second unit outTOs their opponents by 7, of which Hill makes 6!

This could be interesting. I think it should work fine. It will let Turk to his thing, as he has the last 4 games or so, and still we will have Grant of the bench to score his 15 pts or so.

Grant has to realize that everyone, well almost everyone except for the greatest of the great(Michael, Hakeem, Barkley) have to play of the bench before retiring at some point of their career if they want to play long years. It's a fact, as long as he can embrace the position.

We'll have to wait until tonight and see. If it works, great. We (the boards) have been saying they should do this since the beginning of the season, BHill had to wait 6 months to realize this was the right move.....

If Grant is unhappy he should retire, we have all been waiting for it, Granyt if u want to make the playoffs for the first time in 7 years shut ur **** mouth and enjoy the ride as Dwight leads us to the promise land.....

quote:
Originally posted by Scarred for Life:

Who cares who starts or doesnt as long as we win. I could care less if it was grant or keith. personally i think that grant is the better player.

Of course Grant is the better player; but, Keith's game meshes better with the starting 5. Grant's game is better suited off the bench for this team and we'll see how it works out tonight.