Sign in to follow this  
Nick Anderson 4 President

If it weren't for egos, would you move VC and Jameer to the bench?

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

i am with rtill on the send them down the road idea, but we all know that can not happen. jj and nelson together is a mistake for a number of reason. the biggest is nelson's poor passing and defense. i think jj plays much better with jw. the second unit is very good now. if you bench vc then you need to do the same with nelson.

Since when was Nelson a poor passer? He looks for his shots a lot, yes, but he has always also been a terrific passer.

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

Nelson/Williams

Carter/Redick

Barnes/Pietrus/Carter

Lewis/Anderson

Howard/Gortat

You put out your best scorers to start a game. You find the mismatch or hot hand or whatever is working and you ride it through the quarter. On an average night though, I'd sit Carter no later than the six minute time-out and usually the second quarter starts with Williams/Carter/Pietrus/Lewis/Gortat. As far as ending games, by some odd act of God it's becoming almost impossible to keep Redick and Barnes off the court when it's most important so depending on the size of the opponents wings I'm, prefferably, going Nelson/Redick/Carter/Lewis/Howard and if we're playing against a Lebron James or 'Melo, I'd put Barnes next to Carter. Maybe Barnes recent near steller play has been an aberration and he'll resort to his off the bench self and then Pietrus will become the preferred forward

Barnes should start and MP should be sixth man, whatever else is going on. It's best for BOTH guys, and no, this is NOT an aberration. Phoenix screwed up royally last season starting Grant Hill over Matt Barnes.

No, these guys maybe are below their usual performance but we can't dream about beating Cavs or Celtics without them playing great, regular season is just forplay so keep them in starting lineup even if J.Will and JJ play better, wait for VC and Meer to start performing in way they should be.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

quote:

Nelson/Williams

Carter/Redick

Barnes/Pietrus/Carter

Lewis/Anderson

Howard/Gortat

You put out your best scorers to start a game. You find the mismatch or hot hand or whatever is working and you ride it through the quarter. On an average night though, I'd sit Carter no later than the six minute time-out and usually the second quarter starts with Williams/Carter/Pietrus/Lewis/Gortat. As far as ending games, by some odd act of God it's becoming almost impossible to keep Redick and Barnes off the court when it's most important so depending on the size of the opponents wings I'm, prefferably, going Nelson/Redick/Carter/Lewis/Howard and if we're playing against a Lebron James or 'Melo, I'd put Barnes next to Carter. Maybe Barnes recent near steller play has been an aberration and he'll resort to his off the bench self and then Pietrus will become the preferred forward

Barnes should start and MP should be sixth man, whatever else is going on. It's best for BOTH guys, and no, this is NOT an aberration. Phoenix screwed up royally last season starting Grant Hill over Matt Barnes.

Yeah I've struggled to sit through a Suns game in the past couple seasons and never really enjoyed the "get the ball and miss a jumpshot" Golden State Warriors so I haven't followed this cat as closely as I should've been.

And if Sky is right in his confidence, then Barnes' recent near explosion is evidence that you DON'T move capable starters to the bench unless its for superior talent.

I'm all for VC coming off the bench. Shaving 10 minutes per game will save him for when it matters during the playoffs. I like his game but dude is hella fragile. VC as 6man gives us an opportunity to have a stable starting rotation for a good run of games. Plus it sounds like a potent weapon seeing him facing 2nd unit players. If he gets hurt again its not as big of a distraction to the rotation.

But w/ Jameer, he has to eat most of the minutes, because it's clear that Jwill losses his effectiveness with too much play - we need him to be as fresh as deep into the season as possible

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by T REX:

quote:
Originally posted by skinnyhoops:

Thats a possiblity...do you have Stan Van Gundys' email address? LOL

Basically the Magic need to find the right rotations of players that compliment each other. Just because we have 4 All-Stars in the starting lineup doesn't guarantee they'll perform like all-stars. All-Star players are made when they are surrounded by role players that make them better.

Four all-stars??? If a guy only makes ONE all-star game, is he really an all-star for the rest of his career??? I know Lewis made two(05 & 09). Howard has three and counting. VC has the most with 8 or 9 I think. Nelson? He played decently for one half of one season. It may be a stretch to call him an all-star for the rest of his life. It's a little bit of an overstatement, just MHO.

So does Jameer lose the recognition after four months? eight months? It's nuts to not call a guy an All-Star if he made the All-Star team last season. In three months he'll be a "former all-star" but for now there isn't a player in the league whose made All-Star appearances in the past year than Jameer Nelson

It's been a year since he played well. In seasons prior he was just okay, never elite. I feel that the designation "all-star" should represent all-star play. Has Nelson played at an all-star level for more than a HALF a year? No. He's had two injuries and had average play at best.

As a huge Jameer fan, it hurts to say this, but the offense flows better when Jason's out there, it seems. I'd at least consider going to a 50/50 split.

It seems like 'Meer looks for 'Shard and looks for Dwight, and if neither's open, takes it in himself. That's fine, but it seems like it leads to an open SF and/or an open SG (usually JJ) sitting there waving their arms.

Granted, I'm in Seattle, so I only see about six Magic games a year (plus highlights), so I might be missing something.

i would like to see a shift in our strating line up

jwill

jj

matt

ryan

dwight

the 5 best players should start jameer shard and vince can all get thier minutes just a better start may just help them out of thier slumps. and if egos get hurt who cares and if they want to drop thier lip rather than work harder well im sure bass and aj will happly step in and take those spots while the others get the rest of the minutes.

i would like to see jwill,jj,howard, lewis at sf, and try ra or bass at pf. bigger front line and better rebounding. we will need that come playoff time.

Nope....

Nelson knows the system better than J-Will and is more aggressive and more consistent...

VC moving to the bench... That could possibly work, lately he hasnt been moving very well, not very quick laterally and often cheats to much on defense...

I know Nelson has his issues on defense, but his history has been that he has another notch or two to take it up...

He torched Mo Williams last yr when we face them before he got injured...

And he did a great job of containing Ford and Calderon during the playoff series against the Raptors.. the same Series Dwight had a 20/20 I believe 2 or 3 games.

When I watch J-will, he does a good job running and passing.. but isnt as consistent from game to game... he goes in spurts.... And due to his age, he should not get starting minutes... He doesnt have the same legs...

If VC can find himself again, and take better shots instead of the usual 30ft behind the arch, then VC will do great as a starter...

For right now, maybe a bench role would be good... keep him fresh for a bit, until we need him in the 4th qtr...

Having a lineup like deadman suggested is laughable...

J-will

JJ

Matt

Ryan

Dwight

That would be a matchup dream for opposing teams that have bigger and better players.. We would never make it out of the first round with that lineup...

And it would also suggest that we are a complete bunch of idiots for spending that kind of money to have Lew,Nelson,VC sitting on the bench... which is like 180 million worth...

This reminds me of the old Carlos days, when everyone who loved Carlos said that Arroyo was better than Nelson.... which again was laughable...

So the same applies to people saying J-will is better than Nelson now... Laughable

Nelson was a major key to our success last year before he was injured, we actually grabbed the #1 spot in the East...

He will be a major key to us winning a championship...

Dont forget who else was out there watching LA celebrate on our floor besides Dwight...

Now im sure you can say im a Nelson fan... but really im a Magic fan... I could care less who is out there as long as we win a championship...

And right now our best PG to run the team is Nelson, unless we make some crazy trade and get someone better, and that has the legs to keep it going the rest of the season.