Sign in to follow this  
Magicman28

Heres a new one

Here is an update out of MC's forum.

"I received a few skeptical emails when I said the Magic were putting out feelers and named Coach K as one of the names I heard. When I put that out, your local papers said I was wrong. I still stand by what I was told and firmly believe the Magic are gauging interest from prospective candidates when and if the position becomes available. Dallas confirming this should tell you I was not just making things up when I was the only one telling fans the Magic are conducting a behind the scens search. I know Schmitz had quotes from his supposed inside sources close to the situation saying this was not happening, but that was probably more propoganda than anything. Just another reason why when situations like this are out there, you can not trust your source 100% because you do not know if they are feeding you what they want in print. It happens all the time. Journalist get used by the people they are covering all the time. It's the nature of the business.

I can tell you when I was told about them putting out feelers I DID NOT hear the names of Sam Vincent or Sam Mitchell. But since then I have heard more names than just those 2 and the original ones I was told about. Believe it or not this is not the final nail in Brian Hill's coffen as many fans might think. I still stand by with my original story that Brian is going to get a chance to fight for his job if that is what he wants. I am not positive on how it will be handled, but I imagine he will be give alternatives before fighting for his job. I imagine he will be told he is basically re-interviewing for his job right along with the other candidates they have shown interest in. But that is just a guess based on what I heard concerning his job status.

When things like this happens you start to hear so many things that it can be hard to really sort out what has legs and what doesn't. I hesitate to voice my real opinion about what will happen because I know how ownership has thrown everyone a curveball in the past. I would not put it past them to even figure out a way to poll people about this without them knowing it was coming from the Magic, like they have done on arena issues for the last few years.

I was given a date this morning when to expect a decision but I am not going to put it out here in this forum, because I do not fully think the decision will come or be in the manner most fans think. I think it is quite understood changes have to be made, but now it is all about making sure the changes that are made fit the makeup of the team and ownership. They are going to have to live with this decision for a while so I do not expect it to be an easy one for ownership. Be patient that is all I can still say.

I do not want to make up news and generate a story because the news is slow. I prefer to only blog on here when I know my information is as good as you are going to get without hearing out of the horses mouth. Stay Tuned.

Options Reply

To: MagicConfid unread (4 of 5)

723.4 in reply to 723.3

Scmidtz dismissed the story as false on the radio this morning and said he would be VERY dissapointed if the team was actually contacting people while Brian is left hanging.

Seems like a lot of the local media are supporting Brian, they won't comment on whether he is a GOOD coach. But just don't like how the team is treating him. "

He is right and MC was the only place saying the Magic started a search. I believe Dallas has confirmed what MC said last week. They have nothing to gain by leaking that information to the press other than to prepare their fans they might lose an assistant. Nothing would make a team confirm another teams interest if it did not exist.

I really hate the Sentinel writers sometimes. is it just me or when reading the paper do you wonder is this just what they want me to believe or is it really the truth?

The Sentinel is a big advertiser with the Magic and you have to know if Schmitz or anyone puts something in print it is not going to go out without them having some kind of knowledge and it definitely will not be a piece that ruffles the feathers of the Magic brass.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

I would bust a blood vessle in my head if we hire Sam Vincent.

At this point I will take ANYONE over Brian Hill.

I wonder if Brian Hill's contract has a claus in it that allows the Magic ownership under certain circumstances to cancel the remaining years.

Brian Hill would normally have the right at this time to declare the Magic ownership, based on their actions, to have breached the contract.

My guess is the Magic have enough on BHill for disobedience to management and players refusing to play for him to void the balance of his existing contract.

That would explain the statement that BHill would be eligible to interview for the coaching position like any other coach and his unusual quiet demeanor.

Sam is a great guy...who can forget some of his wonderfully corny commericals back in the day...but as our next head coach...please no. I might rather have Brian back than a totally unproven inexperienced coach. We aren't North Carolina or something...we can hire someone that wasn't here before!

If an inexperienced candidate is in an assistant position and is coming from a winning program is that an educated risk? If he to displays a character and determination that you are looking for in a coach and you feel he can instill that and make this a successful program is that a risk?

Not saying that Sam Vincent is that guy, I know nothing about him but if a decision were made on the factors above?

I'm intrigued by us taking this route!

It is funny how we fans double-talk.

When we look at teams making coaching changes, we whine about how we are tired of the same old re-treads being hired for different teams; and that we need to infuse younger, or at least different, blood into the head coaching positions in the league.

But when it's time for OUR team to hire a new coach, the song changes.

Now the lyrics become: why would we want to hire an inexperienced coach? We need someone who understands the NBA. We can't risk hiring someone who hasn't done this before.

And this is exactly why re-treads are used. No one wants to look like an idiot by hiring some guy who looked good, but had (for example) no ability to control or motivate the players.

I'm not criticizing others. I'm guilty of the same thing.

But I'm not going to fall to pieces if the Magic decide to go with someone like Vincent.

I'd RATHER they go with Adelman or Iavaroni, but otherwise Vincent is as good a choice as any.

By the way, when discussing re-treads, the names that have come up have been Adelman, Carlisle, L. Brown, and Van Gundy. Funny how no one has brought up the names of Fratello, Collins or H. Brown. Not saying they should, but you would think that SOMEONE would think that one of these guys would be acceptable.

Personally, I don't want any of the coaches I mentioned in the previous paragraph, unless we are going to completely re-vamp the personnel on this team.

Also from Ford's chat, kinda goes along with the coaching search theme.

David (CHI): Chad, I'd love to hear your answer to your own question: "Why isn't there more coaching talent out there?" And maybe your insight as to who is a good coach and why?

Chad Ford: I think there are two reasons why I ask the question. One is that NBA teams seem to now totally ignore college coaches after a number of well documented disasters. Most of the former NBA coaches aren't very good with the exception of Stan Van Gundy, Rick Carlisle and Jim O'Brien. So what were left with is ... assistant coaches. Since so many of them are nameless and faceless outside of the city they coach for ... it's hard to really know. I don't envy GMs doing this search.

You know what? I'll entertain the idea of Iavaroni as a young up and comer but thats it. We have a solid team with great talent that needs leadership - proven leadership - not another experiment. I can't believe any of us would want that. Its time to win

My list

1) Iavaroni

1) Stan van Gundy

2) Adelman

No thats not a typo. Iavaroni and Van Gundy are tied in my mind. Adelman if you want the track record and big name would move into first but I see him as wanting a piece of Otis' job which is hands off.

With Iavaroni I know we'd run well but I don't know about the defensive side and I don't know what respect he commands having never been to the playoffs much less handled a team by himself. With SVG you don't get anywhere near a retread. He had two years with two playoff appearances and back to back 15+ game improvements which includes a year Shaq wasn't there. Still new enough to learn with enough experience to not be betting on an unknown. Iavaroni is bright and up and coming and I think would be more creative but I can't choose between them. Vincent? Might work out but its a roll of the dice and I don't like dice and the Magic. Never seems to work out for us when we take a silly chance.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

With SVG you don't get anywhere near a retread. He had two years with two playoff appearances and back to back 15+ game improvements which includes a year Shaq wasn't there.

Actually I agree with you here. Me calling him a re-tread is really not accurate. It's not like he's been a head coach for 4 different teams.

Thanks for calling me on it.

Appreciate the honesty there but to be fair to you I wasn't really calling you out in particular. You aren't the only one to talk about retreads. At any rate isn't it great to be able to talk about who we are going to replace Hill with rather than if we are going to replace him? Good stuff!