Sign in to follow this  
Magicman28

Heres a new one

quote:
Magic in the mix

The Mavs confirmed that the Orlando Magic has contacted Mavs assistant coach Sam Vincent about their head coaching job.

Vincent, who completed his first season as a Mavs assistant, has interviewed with Charlotte and has also been contacted by Seattle.

This is the info from the link above:

quote:
The Mavs confirmed that the Orlando Magic has contacted Mavs assistant coach Sam Vincent about their head coaching job.

Vincent, who completed his first season as a Mavs assistant, has interviewed with Charlotte and has also been contacted by Seattle.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. If the Magic are openly talking to other candidates I would assume they have decided that Hill is out the door.

I don't want to bad mouth Vincent because I don't know how good a coach he is. I definitely think there are alot of really good experienced head coaches available without gambling on Vincent. It seems like every team is trying to find the next Avery Johnson.

Ah, you beat me to it Dave.

Sorry I didn't post a quote.

Yeah, says a lot that its confirmed.

Whats funny is Sam Vincent and Otis played together. Maybe Otis is thinking about chemistry.

I just don't know much about him as a coach. I do know as a player he wasn't uberathletic but he had an good IQ. I dunno about this. Interesting nonetheless.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

This is the info from the link above:

quote:

I'm not sure how to feel about this. If the Magic are openly talking to other candidates I would assume they have decided that Hill is out the door.

I don't want to bad mouth Vincent because I don't know how good a coach he is. I definitely think there are alot of really good experienced head coaches available without gambling on Vincent. It seems like every team is trying to find the next Avery Johnson.

Ah, you beat me to it Dave.

You're absolutely right. It's the flavor of the month.

Here's a couple of quotes from SI's Marty Burns today.

On Sam Vincent;

"But while those three have been getting most of the hype, keep an eye on Vincent as a dark horse. Jordan has said he would love to find the "next Avery Johnson" type, and as a Mavs assistant Vincent certainly knows what that description entails. Plus, he has a relationship with His Airness from their days together with the Bulls."

On Mark Jackson;

"Jackson, currently serving as ABC analyst, also could get a shot. He's a former Pacer who remains popular in the area, and as a religious-minded, young ex-point guard fits that "next Avery Johnson" label as well.

I wonder if the "next Avery Johnson" comes with Dirk, Josh, and the rest of the crew.

That is pretty sad, even with so many proven coaches available, why would you want to risk the franchise on an unproven commoditte?? It also make me wonder if the Arena deal is completed?? I don't see any of the commisioners voting yes because of what he brings!!

You know I read it again and I feel a little better about this. For starters the Mavs basically did the Magic's job and said that Brian Hill is fired. No team actively requests interviews unless the current coach is history.

quote:

I don't know if Vincent has been an assistant for another team but this is pretty remarkable that he has been contacted by 3 teams after only one year. I would have to think that he is a very good coach. I still would prefer other candidates over him.

Well, you got Nick Anderson working for Orlando. You got Otis Smith as GM. Both guys joined the team in 89. Sam Vincent joined them in 89 as well. Quite the chemistry.

I dunno. Sam was a smart player back in the day and its good to have a coach who has played the game. I just don't know if he would make a good coach. Adelman and Iavaroni are the more proven commodities but maybe Vincent is that hidden gem. He is an experienced as an player and has been an assistant for the Mavs.

I vaguely remember reading an article not too long ago speaking of all the travels Sam had made for opportunities to coach. If memory serves me right, he had coached in several places around the world.

My curiosity got the best of me. Here's his bio:

quote:
James Samuel "Sam" Vincent (born May 18, 1963 in Lansing, Michigan) is an American former professional basketball player, and currently an assistant coach with the Dallas Mavericks of the NBA.

A 6'2" point guard, Vincent attended Michigan State University, where he earned Sporting News All-America honors in 1985. After graduating from college, he was selected by the Boston Celtics with the twentieth pick of the 1985 NBA Draft. He played two seasons for the Celtics, winning an NBA Championship ring as a reserve in 1986, before joining the Seattle SuperSonics, who promptly traded him to the Chicago Bulls for Sedale Threatt. After one-and-a-half solid seasons with the Bulls, he was selected by the Orlando Magic in the 1989 NBA Expansion draft, and he finished his NBA career with the Magic in 1992. He scored 3,106 points and tallied 1,543 during his seven-year tenure in the league.

Shortly after retiring, Vincent worked at Disney's Wide World of Sports in Walt Disney World. During the late 1990s, he coached basketball in South Africa, and he has also coached in Greece, the Netherlands, Nigeria, and the NBDL. At the 2004 Summer Olympics, he led the Nigerian women's basketball team to a 68-64 victory over South Korea, which was Africa's first ever victory in an Olympic women's basketball contest.

He was coach of the Fort Worth Flyers in the 2005-2006 season. Shortly after coaching the Nigeria men's team to the second round of the 2006 FIBA World Championship, he was hired as an assistant by the Mavericks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Vincent_(basketball)

It looks like the Mavs were his first job as a NBA coach.