Sign in to follow this  
barnettej

Creeping up: Orlando Magic - USA Today

I think our secret is getting out that we are a dangerous team.

"The Celtics, Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers have drawn much attention as the NBA's elite, but emerging from the pack are the Orlando Magic.

"I think what is going on, under the radar, is the job Stan Van Gundy is doing," ABC analyst Mark Jackson says. "You could make the case that he is the coach of the year in the NBA right now.

I think our secret is getting out that we are a dangerous team.

"The Celtics, Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers have drawn much attention as the NBA's elite, but emerging from the pack are the Orlando Magic.

"I think what is going on, under the radar, is the job Stan Van Gundy is doing," ABC analyst Mark Jackson says. "You could make the case that he is the coach of the year in the NBA right now.

Who's to say this won't attract more MCRorlandofans.

Great to see we're going nationwide. I'm in hope that we attract more long term fans instead of band wagoners(Laker Fans).

Here is what is ironic about our status, and the national perception we enjoy for the moment...we will still be viewed differently than the others for the remainder of the season.

Think about it, when the Lakers lost a couple of games, it was a "bump." Same thing would happen if the Cavs or Celts suddenly lost 3 outta 5. They'd say "no biggee, all contenders go through rough patches."

But if/when the Magic hit a lull, we will fall faster than the Tower of Terror and it will take twice as many wins to bounce back up.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Here is what is ironic about our status, and the national perception we enjoy for the moment...we will still be viewed differently than the others for the remainder of the season.

Think about it, when the Lakers lost a couple of games, it was a "bump." Same thing would happen if the Cavs or Celts suddenly lost 3 outta 5. They'd say "no biggee, all contenders go through rough patches."

But if/when the Magic hit a lull, we will fall faster than the Tower of Terror and it will take twice as many wins to bounce back up.

100% true statement. You know were gonna hit another rough spot and its gonna be, "The Sky Is Falling!@!!!". I dont worry tho. Our team is stacked as far as starting 5 and the bench is stepping up like crazy. It seems like every night atleast one bench guy is stepping up to the point of putting up starter numbers. One night is Bogans or lee, the next night its Battie or Gortat. This squad is built to make a deep run this year I believe and for many years to come.

Its also nice to see Dwight getting breaks as of late. If he could stay around 30min a game for awhile it would really help get him rested up for the post and late season.

I hate to say it, but the true reason Orlando never gets any love is not due to talent. Orlando is not known as a sports town. Orlando is where Mickey is, they play the Capital One Bowl once a year here, and ohh yea the Orlando Magic play there...

Orlando will never get the sports town flare Detroit, Boston, LA, NY get because Orlando is a 1 sports town. If we got pro footbal here and maybe a baseball team we would recieve all around more flare and more attention.

quote:
Originally posted by magicdepth:

I hate to say it, but the true reason Orlando never gets any love is not due to talent. Orlando is not known as a sports town. Orlando is where Mickey is, they play the Capital One Bowl once a year here, and ohh yea the Orlando Magic play there...

Orlando will never get the sports town flare Detroit, Boston, LA, NY get because Orlando is a 1 sports town. If we got pro footbal here and maybe a baseball team we would recieve all around more flare and more attention.

With the way Orlando gains money, I'm surprised we don't have a professional football and baseball team.

quote:

Indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by magicdepth:

Agreed. And Ill add that until we make real noise in the playoffs, we will not get the attention that the Lakers, Celtics and the Cavs get.

Also being a transplant type of city, with fans of northern teams living here, it makes it hard to garner a real big fan base like Boston and Cleveland.