Sign in to follow this  
Diplo

Hedo "Hard to Say If I'm Staying Or Leaving"

quote:
Six days before the opening of the Magic's training camp, small forward Hedo Turkoglu, the league's most improved player last season, talked about heading into perhaps his last season with the team.

Turk indicated he will opt out of his contract --- which runs through 2009-10 --- after this season. He'll explore free agency if the Magic don't re-sign him.

"It's hard to tell if I'm staying or leaving," he told me Tuesday.

For more on Turkoglu --- and the Magic's view of the situation --- click onto Magicbasketblog on Wednesday.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/09/hedo-turkoglu-h.html

quote:
Six days before the opening of the Magic's training camp, small forward Hedo Turkoglu, the league's most improved player last season, talked about heading into perhaps his last season with the team.

Turk indicated he will opt out of his contract --- which runs through 2009-10 --- after this season. He'll explore free agency if the Magic don't re-sign him.

"It's hard to tell if I'm staying or leaving," he told me Tuesday.

For more on Turkoglu --- and the Magic's view of the situation --- click onto Magicbasketblog on Wednesday.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/09/hedo-turkoglu-h.html

That's not fun to read. Even though its true.

I just hope whatever happens - the ending isn't us letting Hedo walk at the end of the year for nothing.

While I do not want to put a lot of thought in the one-liner of a quote, mainly because it is what most MIP "star players" do - test the market, this should still send a strong signal to Otis that he do need to test the water for Hedo.

After seeing the team tightening their belt this year, I just don't think we can offer what Hedo will get. And offers will certainly range from Europe as well.

Well if Hedo is stating that he will test free agency then that should send Otis a message to trade him before deadline. Whats the point of keeping him here if hes going to test free agency anyways. I seriously doubt we can give Hedo what might want. I see a blockbuster trade coming.

Looks like Hedo is putting the team on notice that he will be looking to get paid to stay. The problem is this likely makes him harder to trade since no one is going to want to give up much only to have him opt out and leave.

Of course Schmidtz leaves a cliffhanger ending to the blog without giving out all the quotes.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Looks like Hedo is putting the team on notice that he will be looking to get paid to stay. The problem is this likely makes him harder to trade since no one is going to want to give up much only to have him opt out and leave.

This was going to happen anyway. It is just the beginning of the dance. No matter who the trading partner is (if he is traded), that team will want assurances that Hedo will sign with the new team.

Makes me think perhaps dealing him to Utah or LA is wise. Utah so he can be with Okur, his countryman. LA because of the large Turkish population.

Odom or Kirilenko FTW!

The emergence of Euro teams siphoning off NBA talent for higher dollars is a scary, further developing prospect.

Unfortunately Bird Rights now mean squat.

Otis has two options IMO, extend Hedo before the season starts at a reasonable salary 8-10 million. Or trade him prior to, or at the deadline.

Hedo's agent is going to point out that only 4 other players in the NBA accomplished what Turk did last year. Imagine where those negotiations go consdiering we already have a SF signed for 20+ million, and we have a couple holes at PG and PF.

I just can't see the Magic agreeing to 30+ million designated to the SF position.

Smack, I agree whole-heartedly. Even Gortat has mentioned that the dollar is declining. Players are aware of this, especially Euro players. You think a team wouldn't drop a boat load of Euros or whatever currency they work with on Hedo's doorstep? He is the European Lebron James!

This whole situation has me very curious.

Hedo is as good as gone. The smartest move would be to trade him. We simply can't afford what his asking price will be. If we wait and see how he plays this year, we might lose all the value on the market if he resorts back to the Hedo of old.

So trade him and get something, or wait to see how he plays which will screw us over either way.

Well, let's think about this logically. Who would want Turk?

He's going on 30, so he'd be a veteran addition, in other words, the team has to feel they are a piece or 2 away from seriously contending.

He plays solely SF, so there has to be an opening at the starting 3 spot.

He is a solid distributor, but not a very good defender. A solid leader and 3-point shooter as well.

Will be looking for a contract extension next year, so either they have to be willing to take the hit (and are a good fit for him to stay) or are looking for a 1 year rental and cap space.

In order to get a decent player, we'll probably have to send out another contract as well, most likely Battie, so they'll probably need some room in their frontcourt.

So let's look:

Atlanta

Boston

Charlotte

Chicago

Cleveland

Dallas

Denver

Detroit

Golden State

Houston

Indiana

LA Clippers

LA Lakers

Memphis

Miami

Milwaukee

Minnesota

New Jersey

New Orleans

New York

Oklahoma City

Philadelphia

Phoenix

Portland

Sacramento

San Antonio

Toronto

Utah

Washington

Now, eliminate rebuilding teams that wouldn't be interested in a 30-yr old veteran (AKA rebuilding around youth), as well as teams that are set at SF (plus teams like Detroit that Orlando wouldn't deal with) and we are left with:

Atlanta - Set on Marvin Williams?

Charlotte - I don't know if they are set on G Wall as their SF

LA Clippers - Thornton as PF or SF?

LA Lakers - Not big on Odom

Minnesota - probably too young

New Jersey - Yi = SF or PF?

Philadelphia - Do we want to help out another East Power?

Phoenix - This seems to be a solid fit

Portland - Young core, needs verteran leadership, hole at SF

San Antonio - One final push?

Toronto - One of our rivals, but thin at 3

Utah - Andrei has been sub-par at the 3, looking for cap relief, Okur already there

Now, which of these teams have PF's available that are close to Hedo's quality, and who?

Atlanta - Josh Smith (content with Woodson as coach? Horford more natural 4)

LA Clippers - Psssh, who knows that their depth chart will look like

Lakers - Odom (the opposite of Shard. Playing SF, better suited at 4)

Philadelphia - Marreese Speights, Reggie Evans

Phoenix - Boris Diaw, and if they want to implode, Amare

Portland - Channing Frye

Toronto - Bargnani

Utah - Andrei Kirilenko, Mehmet Okur (depends which one they want to keep for Boozer insurance)

So in my mind, those are our options. There are lesser options at the 4 that may not require Hedo (Collison or Brad Miller for example) and there are other options to deal Hedo for different positions. But since the majority want a 4, those seem to be realistic options.