Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Discussion of J.J.'s future...NOT THE PAST

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I think the Magic should let J.J. play at least 20 minutes per game in the pre-season. Who cares if we lose in the pre-season or not. The thought in the regular season is/was to much time for him could cost us defensively and in the loss column. Nobody cares about wins and losses in training camp.

It truly depends on what JJ's current value is, which only Otis knows.

If JJ's current value is that of a mid 2nd-rounder, then you have nothing to lose by playing him for stretches in the pre-season.

However, if JJ's current value is something like a late 1st-rounder, or a trade for a known, solid contributor, then the plan can backfire. The point of your statement is that he would prove his true worth. That might be a good thing; that might be a bad thing; depending on how he plays.

As others have inferred, with the introduction of the new SGs into this offense, SVG is going to want to use every minute of the pre-season to get Pietrus and Lee familiar with the offense, and with playing with their new teammates.

Pre-season is SVG's time, not Otis's.

Even if JJ played the majority of the minutes in the preseason I don't think he could raise his trade value. The only way that will happen is if he can consistenly contribute in regular season games....which will never happen because of the guys ahead of him.

Its a bad situation for JJ. He can't get playing time because of the guys ahead of him and he can't get traded because of the lack of playing time. I think he is stuck.

jj will get his chance in training camp and preseason. if he can get along with svg, which i think affects how other players view jj, then he may be ok. however it is my belief that jj will be moved when the deal is right. otis and svg are building the team around howard, lewis, and nelson. they like a defensive sg to overcome nelson's inability to guard anyone and they need someone like hedo to run the offense. not much room for jj unless he reinvents himself as a pg. so, i believe there is not much room for jj unless he is a clear cut above others. i wish him well with his next team. jacklj

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

Honestly, if it were me, id throw JJ into the PG position and see what he does. Hes got some quickness running the floor. He can dribble and the PG position, especially in the preseason, can gauge his improvement or regression with his defense.

I mean we know what we have with Jameer and AJ, let him have a shot at the PG and see what he can do. I believe you can gauge his potential and see where it goes from there.

This is one of the most interesting ideas that I have seen listed about "what to do with JJ" on these boards. I know people have mentioned about Lee possibly being used in a back-up PG position - but I don't recall anyone mentioning JJ there. Honestly, I don't know if he has the ball-handling and passing skills for it, but it might not be a bad idea to try him there. Especially if you match him up with a defensive SG like Pietrus or Lee in the back-court with him. Possibly neither JJ nor Lee will be able to handle the back-up PG, but a combination of the two in the backcourt might be a very interesting experiment. Two guys with good basketball IQ's, neither really a PG, but with decent ball-handling and complimentary skill sets might be good.

Its simple. Play him or Trade him. The Magic would be really stupid to not play him to see what he can do in consistent minutes. Why get rid of him before you test him out. I just hope Redick gets some minutes so we could then make our decision on his future with the Magic. Instead of just letting him go, then he plays good for some other team. We always let our young talent go then they play like stars on another team. Otis, play him or trade him. Stop wasting the man on the bench. You would have to be a fool to not see that Redick has talent and could become our 6th man off the bench. Hes a scorer. We need bench scoring. Its that simple.

quote:
Originally posted by jmmagicfan:

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

Honestly, if it were me, id throw JJ into the PG position and see what he does. Hes got some quickness running the floor. He can dribble and the PG position, especially in the preseason, can gauge his improvement or regression with his defense.

I mean we know what we have with Jameer and AJ, let him have a shot at the PG and see what he can do. I believe you can gauge his potential and see where it goes from there.

This is one of the most interesting ideas that I have seen listed about "what to do with JJ" on these boards. I know people have mentioned about Lee possibly being used in a back-up PG position - but I don't recall anyone mentioning JJ there. Honestly, I don't know if he has the ball-handling and passing skills for it, but it might not be a bad idea to try him there. Especially if you match him up with a defensive SG like Pietrus or Lee in the back-court with him. Possibly neither JJ nor Lee will be able to handle the back-up PG, but a combination of the two in the backcourt might be a very interesting experiment. Two guys with good basketball IQ's, neither really a PG, but with decent ball-handling and complimentary skill sets might be good.

You know alot of people here say that Redick dont have quickness or he doesnt have ball handles. But really, he does. Hes smart enough to run an offense and he has decent size to guard pgs. He would be like a Kirk Hinrich type pg if i was to compare the two. They both can shoot off the screens good and defense is average. Hey im up for anything right now. Lets try it. You never know.

With all due respect I think asking JJ to play point guard is outrageous. What is the one thing just about everyone marvels at in respect to JJ outside of his shooting ability? It's the way he plays off the ball running off screens trying to get open and its been that way since his freshmen year at duke and probably even his early days of high school.

JJ was groomed to be a shooter/scorer playing off the ball. It's too late in his career to try and reinvent himself as a passer/playmaker; he definitely doesn't have the ball handling skills. JJ is a tweener of epic proportions doesn't have the physical attributes to play the shooting guard and doesn't have the ability to play point guard. I personally think he was done a disservice not learning how to play point guard as a teen but its to late now in my opinion.

Unfortunately for JJ and Magic fans he's destined to sit on the bench again this year and will probably remain there until his contract is up and then either go to another NBA team or play in Europe in what will probably be the most mind boggling lottery pick in Orlando Magic history

I just cannot see the Magic letting the 11th pick in the draft, a lottery pick no less, rot on the bench. It doesn't make sense to not see what he can do and it certainly doesn't make good 'business' sense to let him sit on the bench. He's a lottery pick. Those are usually assetts. H-e-l-l, run him off of screens and just let him shoot the friggin ball! Let him play in the pre-season. Let him play in the regular season. Anything to build his value. We cannot afford to waist another lottery pick. Get something for him if you're going to trade him.

Some people say Otis won't trade J.J. because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. Others say he can't trade him because he has no value. He'll be making an even bigger mistake by letting him rot on the bench, not building his value by giving him minutes and watching a lottery pick walk off into the sunset for nothing.

Oh, and the point guard idea.....can't see it happening with the skillset and physical tools J.J. has for his game.

Unfortunatly JJ will go down as one of the biggest Magic draft bust's, only second to Frankenstein, and not entirely his fault like Fran. So sad!

My thoughts werent really saying he'd be the next coming at PG. But hes really not gonna get any burn at the SG position. I just want him to get some play, either for value in a trade or just some use out of him.

Im with Junkie that we just cant let him rot, seeing that we did spend a high 1st for him.

There is less of a glut at the PG position and I think with his basketball knowledge, and he has somewhat decent ball handling skills, I think he could at least be servicable and maybe help us out in the PG dept.

He is a tough matchup with his offense ability, and like I said earlier, you can gauge his improvement or regression on defense pretty quick at that position.

I just want to get some value out of him. He looks to be in good shape, hes got some skill, lets put him in a situation and see what he has. We cant lose more than we have already, and who knows, maybe he will show something valuable and we get a weapon.

quote:
Originally posted by NotByChoice:

With all due respect I think asking JJ to play point guard is outrageous. What is the one thing just about everyone marvels at in respect to JJ outside of his shooting ability? It's the way he plays off the ball running off screens trying to get open and its been that way since his freshmen year at duke and probably even his early days of high school.

JJ was groomed to be a shooter/scorer playing off the ball. It's too late in his career to try and reinvent himself as a passer/playmaker; he definitely doesn't have the ball handling skills. JJ is a tweener of epic proportions doesn't have the physical attributes to play the shooting guard and doesn't have the ability to play point guard. I personally think he was done a disservice not learning how to play point guard as a teen but its to late now in my opinion.

Unfortunately for JJ and Magic fans he's destined to sit on the bench again this year and will probably remain there until his contract is up and then either go to another NBA team or play in Europe in what will probably be the most mind boggling lottery pick in Orlando Magic history

with all due respect, jj is 22. i learned more about how to play bball past the age of 22 than i did before. youth is spent on fundamentals, once you get older, you learn the game...learn angles, anticipation, and you become more aware of your surroundings. your opinion you mentioned is your opinion, but it couldnt be further from the truth. it has nothing to do with jj, but with your analysis on how people learn to play. its just wrong.

also, people who think jj can only score off the ball are mistaken. its nearly impossible to ONLY score off the ball when you are the 'man' on your team...and jj was always the man on his team until he came to the magic. besides, i saw glimpses of jj at the end of the season doing a fantastic job of penetrating the key towards the ft line and opening up the iron ring for dwight/ or having wide open mid range jumpers. jj 'commands' respect for his jumper, because of that, he will manage to get open lanes to the basket on occasion-it comes with time(it also provides ample opportunities for assits)...i speak from experience on that one.