Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Diggin for J. Crit News

Right now it's tough getting any updates. It seems a lot of NBA team personnel are on vacation right now. As are a lot of people I talk to personally for info. The big free agent signings are over as are the summer leagues. All that's left are 2nd and 3rd tier free agent pick-ups.

I talked to Steve Kyler yesterday and asked him if he had any updates on the Magic/Griz negotiations for Javaris. His answer:

quote:
There is nothing new to report... really... there is no urgency to get

anything done now... especially not on the trade front.

The Magic are trying to lock down Adonal Foyle's return... that's about

it.

I asked him this morning for his personal opinion on how he thought things would shake out in the future. His answer:

quote:

I think if the Magic genuinely want JCritt, they can get him, Memphis is

not holding out - I think JJ and protected first round draft pick get the

deal done... I think that's more than Otis will pay for Critt.

Critt had a solid summer league, I think there is more value out there for

him... but with Marcus Williams being traded for only a 1st in 2011...

that establishes market value.

Steve

At this time that's all I can give you. Looks like we'll have to wait it out.

Right now it's tough getting any updates. It seems a lot of NBA team personnel are on vacation right now. As are a lot of people I talk to personally for info. The big free agent signings are over as are the summer leagues. All that's left are 2nd and 3rd tier free agent pick-ups.

I talked to Steve Kyler yesterday and asked him if he had any updates on the Magic/Griz negotiations for Javaris. His answer:

quote:
There is nothing new to report... really... there is no urgency to get

anything done now... especially not on the trade front.

The Magic are trying to lock down Adonal Foyle's return... that's about

it.

I asked him this morning for his personal opinion on how he thought things would shake out in the future. His answer:

quote:

I think if the Magic genuinely want JCritt, they can get him, Memphis is

not holding out - I think JJ and protected first round draft pick get the

deal done... I think that's more than Otis will pay for Critt.

Critt had a solid summer league, I think there is more value out there for

him... but with Marcus Williams being traded for only a 1st in 2011...

that establishes market value.

Steve

At this time that's all I can give you. Looks like we'll have to wait it out.

Interesting. Part of me wants Otis to do the trade with JJ and a protected 1st because I want JCrit here. The other side is true also, if we don't need to give both, why give both. I'd like to keep the pick more than JJ.

As long as Otis' ego doesn't get in the way. One thing I'm sure, if the trade doesn't happen, Otis will say he wouldn't have wanted it anyway.

Thanks for the update! I think if JJ and a 1st is what it takes, I would think it gets done. JJ is more trouble than he is worth if he isn't playing.

Also curious that it is said that major FA signings are done. Okafor, Smith, Deng, Gordon, and Biedrins are still unsigned, and I can't imagine they all stay where they are.

Junkie thanks for the update.

I really think we should give the pick to them with Reddick. It would free up a little cap and get us a tall PG which is what we need. We are too loaded at SG and this would get a bench warmer out and a 8th-9th man in.

We need cap relief to fill our roster and we could use the TE to fill out some spots.

I would not hold your breath for a deal getting done anytime soon. With Anthony Johnson signed the pressure to find a backup is much less and Memphis has no need to dump Crit for less since his trade value can only go up.

After training camp starts and teams start getting a few injuries someone might give more and worse case scenario is you dump him at the trade deadline for something equal to what they could get now.

I expect Otis to sit back until Sept. and then pick it up again to try and get him in before training camp.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I would not hold your breath for a deal getting done anytime soon. With Anthony Johnson signed the pressure to find a backup is much less and Memphis has no need to dump Crit for less since his trade value can only go up.

After training camp starts and teams start getting a few injuries someone might give more and worse case scenario is you dump him at the trade deadline for something equal to what they could get now.

I expect Otis to sit back until Sept. and then pick it up again to try and get him in before training camp.

Am I the only one that thinks some kind of move will have to be done before training camp? If not then than definitely before the season starts.

We have 4 shooting guards on the roster and 2 point guards.

Number 1, we 'need' another point guard hopefully by training camp. I don't feel comfortable with an injury prone, shoot first, poor distributor, poor defender but good scoring, decent assist starting point guard. Anthony Johnson is/was a good pick-up but I don't know if it's wise to start the season with just those two.

Number 2, if Otis thinks team chemistry will be good with 4 shooting guards on the roster I would respectfully disagree.

Pietrus is the starter. You know C. Lee is gonna get some minutes. Bogans was a better all-around player than J.J. last year. No reason to think that will change. That leaves Redick with whatever scrap minutes are left and we all know how J.J. feels about sitting on the bench.

See my point? I just think one of the shooting guards has to go. I think Bogans could adjust to getting back-up minutes and would be less of an attiude problem in a back-up role than J.J.

We'll see.

i agree for the most part. however, Lee is going to be 4th string...mark it. rooks wont play right away in svg's system. another thing, bogans isnt improving, i would be surprised if jj wasnt improving. i think jj will be backup sg. the only thing bogans did better than him was defend...and pietrus is there now...bogans is useless(trade bait).

anthony johnson scares me. what if jameer does get injured? even if johnson was a serviceable backup that can fill in, is he going to play all 48 minutes if jameer gets hurt?