Sign in to follow this  
D-BoFats

"Magic expected to offer Maggette the $5.8 million middle-class exception" (Povtak)

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by TheJambo:

Memphis with cap space is looking for a big and does not need anyone at his position at this time....

Why does everybody assume Memphis is out of the running? They just traded away Mike Miller and could easily play Mayo at PG with Maggette at the 2 and Gay at the 3. That would be one helluva backcourt. They could then consider using their gluttony of PG's to land a big manto play next to Darko if Darrell Arthur isn't ready.

I was under the impression taht Memphis would make a serious run at Ellis.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Realistically, this is all the Magic can hope for with Maggette. If they offer it, at least they are trying, and the decision will be up to him. I actually think there's a very good chance he'll accept it.

The 2 teams with real $, Phily is likely targeting younger prospects, & Memphis is targeting next years class. The one player Memphis covets is Monta Ellis. That was always a pipe dream, but it seems even less likely now with the drafting of Mayo, & Barron Davis opting out.

Maggette will basically be left choosing between MLE offers. Pheonix is the only team that concerns me. They have Barbosa available for SnT, who's deal is at the MLE range. But, if they are willing to pay Maggette more, they could kick in filler.

Clippers are supposed to offer Magette - 4 years $40m - he won't take the MLE

Knappy,

I think Baron Davis opting out may have changed all of that. The Clips it appears are going to renounce his rights to go after Davis. If they are able to land him they will no longer offer Maggette more than the mid-level which means the 4/40 offer is no longer on the table. With that said if his mid-level offers are NO, Orlando, and LAC I would hope his decision would be here.

If the Clippers renounce Maggette's rights, they also have to renoucne their right to the MLE this year.

Okay. This is similar to Darko where the only thing they can then offer is whats available under the cap correct?? So if and when they renounce him he is definitely not going back.

quote:
Originally posted by Levation1331:

I honestly think Maggette is not a great fit for this team. If we add another 20pt scorer, when does Dwight see the ball? One of our star players, and we would have 4 then, would have to be role players for us, and change for the good of the team (a la Boston this year).

And that Boston team won an NBA Title.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Memphis with cap space is looking for a big and does not need anyone at his position at this time....

Why does everybody assume Memphis is out of the running? They just traded away Mike Miller and could easily play Mayo at PG with Maggette at the 2 and Gay at the 3. That would be one helluva backcourt. They could then consider using their gluttony of PG's to land a big manto play next to Darko if Darrell Arthur isn't ready.

Also, Memphis has hinted at saving there money for next years crop of top free agents...

quote:

I honestly think Maggette is not a great fit for this team. If we add another 20pt scorer, when does Dwight see the ball? One of our star players, and we would have 4 then, would have to be role players for us, and change for the good of the team (a la Boston this year).

Therefore, Pietrus is a way better fit for us. If we throw him the MLE, and a promised starting spot at SG, he should be interested. Also, he is still young and has a lot of potential.

Maggette would be nice on paper, but I dont think it will work as well as we hope on the court.

Neither Hedo nor Maggette are stars, and I'd suspect that if Maggette comes here, Hedo becomes trade fodder.

quote:

quote:

quote:

They've been saying that for a while. They also have Conley back there so it's not like they need another point. I get what you are saying Smack but Okafor and Smith are out there as bigs if they want to go after that. Plus would a FA want to go to Memphis? The front court is not in very good shape and that along with being in the west doesn't seem to point to them being a winner any time soon.

quote:

quote:

Where'd you see that? I would think that if the Clips weren't reported to extend Brand, and weren't interested in picking up Baron Davis, that they might be interested in retaining Maggette. BUt then you would also think that they wouldn't have used their lottery pick on a SG, and would have instead drafted a PG or C. Lopez, Augustin, and Bayless were still available when they selected Gordon (to replace Corey?)

I saw an article saying that - I don't know if I can find it - things could always change, but it said the Clippers were supposed to offer Magette a deal valued at $40m over 4 years.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Realistically, this is all the Magic can hope for with Maggette. If they offer it, at least they are trying, and the decision will be up to him. I actually think there's a very good chance he'll accept it.

The 2 teams with real $, Phily is likely targeting younger prospects, & Memphis is targeting next years class. The one player Memphis covets is Monta Ellis. That was always a pipe dream, but it seems even less likely now with the drafting of Mayo, & Barron Davis opting out.

Maggette will basically be left choosing between MLE offers. Pheonix is the only team that concerns me. They have Barbosa available for SnT, who's deal is at the MLE range. But, if they are willing to pay Maggette more, they could kick in filler.

Knappy,

I think Baron Davis opting out may have changed all of that. The Clips it appears are going to renounce his rights to go after Davis. If they are able to land him they will no longer offer Maggette more than the mid-level which means the 4/40 offer is no longer on the table. With that said if his mid-level offers are NO, Orlando, and LAC I would hope his decision would be here.

I tell you, it would be great to get Magette for the mid-level exception - that would be some major scoring threats and we have a great, great coach so he would figure out how to make it all work

quote:

Neither Hedo nor Maggette are stars, and I'd suspect that if Maggette comes here, Hedo becomes trade fodder.

Either that or 6th man.

quote:

quote:

...and play in front of Killing and 9,000 fans. hehehe

I seriously don't understand why Otis is wasting time on Maggette, he is a great player,but I seriously dont see him settling for the MLE. I don't see why they are not targeting pietrus. The guy wants to do all the dirty work. thats exactly what we need at sg. I just don't get otis. simple as that

quote:

Therefore, Pietrus is a way better fit for us. If we throw him the MLE, and a promised starting spot at SG, he should be interested. Also, he is still young and has a lot of potential.

Maggette would be nice on paper, but I dont think it will work as well as we hope on the court.

This obviously isn't a popular opinion, but I agree with you. AT what point do we put the ball in Dwight's hands and say "you're the man?" Adding Maggette on this team just provides less oppurtunity for Dwight to get better offensively.

If we could trade Hedo i'd be fine with Maggette, but if we're going to keep turk, whicj it looks like we are, I rather use the mle on role players or go after Pietrus, a more defensive minded player.