Sign in to follow this  
D-BoFats

"Magic expected to offer Maggette the $5.8 million middle-class exception" (Povtak)

quote:
Maggette, 28, also could become one of the best players to change teams in what is viewed otherwise as a weak class of unrestricted free agents. He averaged 22.1 points last season and has just reached the prime of his career.

The Clippers have said they will try to re-sign Brand and Maggette.

The Orlando Magic are expected to offer Maggette the $5.8 million middle-class exception -- in a long-term deal -- but he is likely to receive a more lucrative offer and go elsewhere, possibly as part of a sign-and-trade deal between the Clippers and another team.

Maggette, who played his rookie season with the Magic, has told friends that he hoped the Magic would make him a competitive offer, welcoming a return to Orlando.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-freeagent0108jul01,0,2366171.story

Hopefully Maggette is feeling generous and wants to play for the Magic and a Championship. If not, I guess I'd be okay with splitting the MLE on two players, but I'd explore EVERY option to get Maggette.

quote:
Maggette, 28, also could become one of the best players to change teams in what is viewed otherwise as a weak class of unrestricted free agents. He averaged 22.1 points last season and has just reached the prime of his career.

The Orlando Magic are expected to offer Maggette the $5.8 million middle-class exception -- in a long-term deal -- but he is likely to receive a more lucrative offer and go elsewhere, possibly as part of a sign-and-trade deal between the Clippers and another team.

Maggette, who played his rookie season with the Magic, has told friends that he hoped the Magic would make him a competitive offer, welcoming a return to Orlando.

Hopefully Maggette is feeling generous and wants to play for the Magic and a Championship. If not, I guess I'd be okay with splitting the MLE on two players, but I'd explore EVERY option to get Maggette.

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

quote:

if this doesnt work...i would hope that otis would try to get pietrus with the MLE before he split it on two so-so players.

The MLE exception for this past year is 5.8m, and the MLE for this coming season expected to be 6m will be announced soon.(Based on average salaries in the league)

Maggette, may not get a better offer. We shall see. Good to hear that Pietrus is next on top of our list. If he is interested, he is the most likely acquisition because of his defense and rebounding skills mentioned numerous times previously.

Like many have been saying, Turkoglu isn't going anywhere.

Realistically, this is all the Magic can hope for with Maggette. If they offer it, at least they are trying, and the decision will be up to him. I actually think there's a very good chance he'll accept it.

The 2 teams with real $, Phily is likely targeting younger prospects, & Memphis is targeting next years class. The one player Memphis covets is Monta Ellis. That was always a pipe dream, but it seems even less likely now with the drafting of Mayo, & Barron Davis opting out.

Maggette will basically be left choosing between MLE offers. Pheonix is the only team that concerns me. They have Barbosa available for SnT, who's deal is at the MLE range. But, if they are willing to pay Maggette more, they could kick in filler.

i posted this on the other thread but i wanted to do it here too (not trying to up my count, but i feel it important to spread it), so here's my take....

i seriously don't think PF is our main problem either. lewis did a great job of it especially in the toronto series. we could really use an upgrade at the SG position but what i hope the magic work on is preventing turnovers and being careful with the ball. giving up second chance points hurts but at the same time, if you're turning the ball over as much as we were against detroit there's no way we can win.

keep lewis at the 4. if we need to go big, bring in battie. he should be getting limited minutes due to his injury anyways. throw the kitchen sink at the clips and maybe do a ST for maggette and deal them JJ (might be attractive to them) if we can't get him with the MLE. i love JJ but maggette plays better defense. if we do that trade and the clips go for it, then we can use the MLE on that PF everyone wants and maybe grab JWill too.

Nelson/Will

Maggette/Evans/Lee

Turk/Bogans

Shard/Battie/Cook (maybe a MLE PF here if we trade jj)

Howard/Gortat/Battie

who DOESN'T think we'll win BIG with that????

I hope going after Maggette doesn't tie our hands. Make it a yes/no situation and move on to Pietrus. try and S&T for Pietrus, then move on to Duhon/Chris Richards, Landry, and what PFs are out there.

IMO, priority should be Pietrus, Dooling/Duhon, PF

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

I hope going after Maggette doesn't tie our hands. Make it a yes/no situation and move on to Pietrus. try and S&T for Pietrus, then move on to Duhon/Chris Richards, Landry, and what PFs are out there.

IMO, priority should be Pietrus, Dooling/Duhon,

PF

Couldn't agree with you more, there's no reason to waste time on a player if he's not going to sign here, pietrus is a better fit for this team anyway.