Sign in to follow this  
D-BoFats

"Magic expected to offer Maggette the $5.8 million middle-class exception" (Povtak)

Skimming over the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Important Note:

"A sign-and-trade deal can be made even with players who have been renounced."

Does that only apply if a team is under the cap?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Important Note:

It should do or nothing more then the MLE because Bird Rights means a team over the cap can resign a player to the Max amount, if they can do a sign and trade after renouncing a player, then what is the point of bird rights?

Here's a question I don't think I know the answer for...

Now that we have officialy offered Maggette our MLE, that contract exception is locked up until he either accepts, declines, or...? How much time can pass without a decision before we have access to our MLE again?

I know we can't simply offer our MLE to 5 players and the first one that accepts is the winner.

So how do the restrictions work? What kind of time-line does Maggette's agent have to consider offers before they expire?

quote:

Important Note:

Yes.

quote:

Now that we have officialy offered Maggette our MLE, that contract exception is locked up until he either accepts, declines, or...? How much time can pass without a decision before we have access to our MLE again?

I know we can't simply offer our MLE to 5 players and the first one that accepts is the winner.

So how do the restrictions work? What kind of time-line does Maggette's agent have to consider offers before they expire?

I'm pretty sure the MLE is an exemption that we have complete control over, and we can withdraw our offer whenever we want. If we make an offer and then ten minutes later want to rescind it, we can(I think). It's not like RFA offer sheets which lock up the money until the other team matches or agrees not to match.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

I'm pretty sure the MLE is an exemption that we have complete control over, and we can withdraw our offer whenever we want. If we make an offer and then ten minutes later want to rescind it, we can(I think). It's not like RFA offer sheets which lock up the money until the other team matches or agrees not to match.

I think you are correct, but not a good practice to do, because it would make us look bad to the players for future negotiations...unless Maggette took a few weeks to decide and then no one could blame Orlando..

You can be sure everything is done in writing. A letter of intent is usually done with spelled out alloted time before going hard and allowable reasons for cancelling.

The formal contract would then be signed on the 9th. Nothing is done without an agreement in writing including how much time is allowed to remove contingencies. No surprises!!

I really didn't think the Corey thing could happen but as previously mentioned the Baron opt out changes everything. If only MLE are availble there is a very real possibility he ends up in Orlando. Between no state taxes in Florida nnd the increased exposure he'd get being on the Magic (if we sign Corey we will be on TV a lot next year) he can probably make up a couple million with his shoe company. And for those that prefer signing Mickael Pietrus...umm no. When you can get a guy that gets to the free throw line more per game than the other guy averages in points, you go for the former. Our offense last year was way too three point reliant, adding Pietrus does not help that problem. He cannot dribble and is not as good from three as Bogans. Sure he is probably better on defense, but he isn't first team all defense either. Between Dwight and Corey we'd get to the free throw line early and often and dimish our reliance on the three point shot, which leads to more consistency.

Greg Kite, you get it.

All Mogans could do was shoot the 3. Evans is not a bad player, but he still camped out and waited for open looks. Maggette will make the Magic's offense the best in the NBA because he can foul out big men with penetration, and also shoot the 3 pretty well too.

There is no way this hurts Hedo's productivity. What hurt Hedo was Brin Hill's offense. Hedo is thriving because he is now in a free flowing offense that allows him more options. Maggette being on the court only provides more spacing for everyone else because he will not camp out in the corner, he will drag his man everywhere with him.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

Greg Kite, you get it.

All Mogans could do was shoot the 3. Evans is not a bad player, but he still camped out and waited for open looks. Maggette will make the Magic's offense the best in the NBA because he can foul out big men with penetration, and also shoot the 3 pretty well too.

There is no way this hurts Hedo's productivity. What hurt Hedo was Brin Hill's offense. Hedo is thriving because he is now in a free flowing offense that allows him more options. Maggette being on the court only provides more spacing for everyone else because he will not camp out in the corner, he will drag his man everywhere with him.

to reiterate your point here...maggette is a very proficient slasher, something we didnt have last year. not only can he get to the basket(busting the zone), but he can and will hit his ft's. it will force other players to come provide help D for the mid range penetration. that will open up the world to dwight inside...

i think that mag will definitely provide the one of the 2 major things we lacked last year with slashing. although lewis did some late last year we were primarily a 3pt shooting team. the other was that pf to help down low dirty work. i think right pietrus is good but if we can get that team defense thing down with mag, we would be great. and you can NEVER have enough scoring. only thing with obtaining mag i would be afraid of is otis then wanting or leaning towards trading turk and i really dont want that to happen.