Sign in to follow this  
jrjr1229

Goal this year

Not watch the games?

Why wouldn't you want to take this chance to see the young guys in action, to watch them develop and grow?

Rooting for them to lose is very different than accepting the direction and current position of the team. The team is simply not doing anything and everything to win now. The focus is not win now. If that bothers some fans, so be it. The focus is to rebuild correctly, with a strong foundation, and put us in a better position for the future. It sure seems to be working so far, and I, for one, am eagerly watching this turnaround.

I don't like speaking for others, but I believe he was saying if you're just going to root against the team you mine as well not bother watching. The funny thing about all this is the misconception that rooting for, or against, the team is in any way going to change how they perform. Its like when my wife was telling me she didn't want to watch the Finals because every time she watched, the Heat won. Of course I did blame her after game 7 because she watched

Not watch the games?

Why wouldn't you want to take this chance to see the young guys in action, to watch them develop and grow?

Rooting for them to lose is very different than accepting the direction and current position of the team. The team is simply not doing anything and everything to win now. The focus is not win now. If that bothers some fans, so be it. The focus is to rebuild correctly, with a strong foundation, and put us in a better position for the future. It sure seems to be working so far, and I, for one, am eagerly watching this turnaround.

I agree with some of this. The Magic are trying to rebuild, that's no secret. They won't be a great team this year.

However, they need to show improvement as the season goes along, not get worse like last season. Fans need to see that the pieces they're putting in are developing. You can't just flip a switch and go from doormat to beast. The culture of winning needs to be cultivated.

They need not have a winning record this year but they must try as hard as they can to win every game possible with the players they have. And we need to see those players getting better as the season progresses.

That's why I believe you need to set goals/milestones for this upcoming season, not just for later seasons. I suggested some in my earlier post. We cannot assume that they will be awful this year and suddenly become pretty good next year. There needs to be a continuous process for getting from point A to point B.

Not watch the games?

I'll have to remember to never again attempt another joke on this forum. Perhaps I should just pack my decoupage suitcase and return to the realgm circus...

I don't like speaking for others, but I believe he was saying if you're just going to root against the team you mine as well not bother watching. The funny thing about all this is the misconception that rooting for, or against, the team is in any way going to change how they perform. Its like when my wife was telling me she didn't want to watch the Finals because every time she watched, the Heat won. Of course I did blame her after game 7 because she watched

I have the same effect on the Spurs losing. Of course I've never been a man of superstition, so I watched the last two games of the Finals anyways...

1) Jameer stay healthy - he deserves it

2) Oladipo to have games that show he can be more than a role player

3) Kasey Hill if the whole Wiggins thing doesnt work out

I'll have to remember to never again attempt another joke on this forum. Perhaps I should just pack my decoupage suitcase and return to the realgm circus...

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Making the jokes funny might help me figure out when you're kidding, unless you're the second coming or Treytime.

;-)

We've had this discussion before on this board and I think the consensus was people aren't necessarily rooting for losses but rather expecting them and taking consolation in knowing that there is actually potential long-term good that will come from us having a poor record. So rather than hating on the team and becoming frustrated, its an acceptance of the growing pains and the optimism that at the end of season all the losing will be worth it. This will obviously change as the expectations for the team change, which I imagine will be the beginning of the 2014-15 season.

I understand accepting the team's pending mediocrity. I accept that our team is going to suck.

But what I'm talking about is people who would rather see us go 20-62, than 35-47, or even worse, sneak into the post-season with the 7th or 8th seed, because we need to "tank" for higher picks. These people are actively rooting for us to lose, because in their minds, reaching a certain # of wins is a failure of a season because we don't get a high enough draft pick.

I do not believe in this mentality. I root for my team to win every game. And I would rather see us at 35-47 with a lesser draft pick than 20-62 and a higher draft pick, because draft picks are never guaranteed. See Greg Oden, Sam Bowie, Kwame Brown, etc...

It's not like having a high lottery pick automatically assures us a LeBron James.

Play for wins, not draft picks.

• Upvote 1

I understand accepting the team's pending mediocrity. I accept that our team is going to suck.

But what I'm talking about is people who would rather see us go 20-62, than 35-47, or even worse, sneak into the post-season with the 7th or 8th seed, because we need to "tank" for higher picks. These people are actively rooting for us to lose, because in their minds, reaching a certain # of wins is a failure of a season because we don't get a high enough draft pick.

I do not believe in this mentality. I root for my team to win every game. And I would rather see us at 35-47 with a lesser draft pick than 20-62 and a higher draft pick, because draft picks are never guaranteed. See Greg Oden, Sam Bowie, Kwame Brown, etc...

It's not like having a high lottery pick automatically assures us a LeBron James.

It does for the 2014 draft.

• Upvote 1

I am torn on this, you are right that having a high pick does not assure us of a LeBron (not even in next years draft). It does however,provide a much better chance though.

That said, the goal has to be improvement from the young guys. This should in turn lead to more wins, which could hurt our chances of a higher pick.

And of course there'll always be a guy that comes out of nowhere, and one of the BIG 5 will get injured or bomb in a big game. Right now? Yeah - if we're in the top 5, I'll be happy.