Sign in to follow this  
Fern1960

Ok, let's be realistict and name the free agents PG's for 07-08....

Agreed, the only two realistic free agent pgs out there are Blake and Atkins. I'm not sure why the original poster wanted to exclude his name. He has alot more left in the tank than Armstrong.

quote:
Originally posted by Fern1960:

Ok, magic need to make a change at the PG position (starting position). Question is who is out there? Please don't throw names like Chucky Atkins and or Darrrel Armstrong. Only players that can really team up with DHoward as the one/two punch for the magic... One that really plays at both ends and is a "true PG"....

Let's start with the best...

t1_billups.jpg

Billups would be the right guy if the team was ready for a championship run yet if they they dont make it next year, Billups is going on 33 o 34 yrs and I would say he has one to two years good left in him and that sounds like a big investment in the manner of Grants contract. Also you could not develop a young PG while he is around. I would go with Calderon if Brian Hill is out , if not he will have the same problem as Carlos in the play system.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Agreed, the only two realistic free agent pgs out there are Blake and Atkins. I'm not sure why the original poster wanted to exclude his name. He has alot more left in the tank than Armstrong.

and its one of those perfect stories gor the Magic - born and raised here, started his NBA career here...

this is the kinda homegrown love that this organization loves to play up -

I think he makes about 3 mil a yr in MEM.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dude Abides:

quote:

and its one of those perfect stories gor the Magic - born and raised here, started his NBA career here...

According to another thread Chucky still has his house in Orlando and said after the Grizzlies game that he would love to come back here. Doesn't get much more realistic than that.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

If he is going to be an unrestricted FA next season, maybe Tor would be willing to deal now. They are going to have a lot of money tied up in TJ, Chris and I think they are still looking for a center (they want Darko from what we were reading before the trade deadline). Carlos or Jameer would work decent in that wide open style that Collangelo wants to run, especially if they get rid of Mitchell and bring in Ivoroni.

I could see either Carlos or Jameer coming in for them in a Barbosa type role backing up Ford.

I thought a lot about that as well, Colangelo likes Darko a lot as he would fill their biggest weakness in getting a low post defender that is not a liability on offense (i.e. Rasho Nesterovic).

They likely would need to put Rasho in the deal to make the salaries work and we could add Carlos to help with cap room.

But I have a couple problems with this deal. I really like Calderon but unless they give us a first rounder we are giving up more talent than we are getting back.

The second thing is we might giving Toronto the final piece to be a dominating team for a very long time. That is the biggest reason I would wait til next year and see if we can get him with our MLE.

If you have a back court containing TJ Ford and Jose Calderon, who compliment each other so well, do you break that up?

Colangelo ain't silly! I'd kill for a back court like that, lol. I thought we had one.

I don't think management is ready to give up on Jameer yet, so I don't think they'll be that active looking for another pg. Maybe just a back up at best.

Oh and btw, that guy stole my Dwight Howard sig, that's kind of rude. He could of asked...

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

I don't think management is ready to give up on Jameer yet,

I don't think so either and I am not sure they are wrong either. I've wanted to see Jameer get benched to send him a message because I am not convinced that if he made running the offense and passing a priority he couldn't do a decent job at the point.

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

Has anyone even though of giving Travis Deiner a shot at PG?? What's the worst that could happen?

Too late in the season, cant start experiments with 6 to go and only 1 game up on 8th, Most people know how I feel about TD, but realisticly, were lookin at the same old same old, from here on out... Id try to keep TD as queit as possible and out of other minds right now too, it'll keep his offers down..

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Dude Abides:

quote:

According to another thread Chucky still has his house in Orlando and said after the Grizzlies game that he would love to come back here. Doesn't get much more realistic than that.

Congragulations on your 2500 post Emory.

Forget Atkins. He, like Meer, is only 2.523 feet tall and wouldn't help our backcourt height issues. How about trading Jameer to NY for Lee ... they could use another pg (smile). Seriously, I think management sticks it out with Meer for another year (no extension) and tries to sign VC. This summer should be wild.