Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Who is Jameer gonna guard? Det./Orl. Match-up thread

two things we can do to try to contain billups:

put keith bogans or mo evans on him the whole game. jameer can try to guard rip. I like that better since rip doesn't have the ball in his hands the whole time and doesn't control the offense. and plus, the more we can get the ball out of billups' hands (if they go to rip b/c of the matchup), the better. then the problem becomes about how we can stop hamilton. but i'm not sure about how we can do that. I guess it'd have to be team defense in trying to deny him the ball when he moves through the screens.

we should also probably try to double team billups. again, the same philosophy of getting the ball out of his hands applies.

i remember one of the games (i'm pretty sure it was a pistons game) where rashard pretty much carried us the whole 3rd quarter. that's probably gonna be what happens this series. they have no one who can guard rashard and we should take advantage of that match up the same way they take advantage of the jameer/their guard match up.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

Another important factor is Rashard on the boards. He needs to rebound like he did against Toronto to keep Maxiell and Mcdyess off the offensive boards. If he doesn't we're in trouble.

Not to be a doomsayer, but it ain't gonna happen. Rashard was skying in for boards over guys 6'6" and under against Toronto in the last two games - Toronto's small lineup killed them in the long run imo. Rashard will have no such luxury against the Pistons - Hamilton, Prince, Sheed, and Maxiell/McDyess are all over 6'6".

The Rashard we saw against Toronto was the "small forward" Rashard playing against smaller players and dominating with his size and length. It's going to be very different in the coming series with Rashard playing against legit PF's and when we no longer have a rebounding advantage - look for the rebounding woes of the regular season to rear its ugly head against Detroit. I only hope Dwight doesn't slow down - if he does, this series might not be as competitive as we (and myself) believe.

Alright.... I just have to put my 2 cents in here. All this talk about guard match-ups and etc that I'm reading really has me thinking.

Consider this:

Attitude: Detroit cannot possible stop Dwight, Rashard and Hedo on the floor at the same time. They may have a couple of good stretches, but no way they shut these 3 down permanently. That said, Billups cannot guard Jameer at all when he pushes the ball with quick dribble penetration. No way! And what is Detroits answer for Evans and Bogans.

If our Magic boys utilize their skills and own the court with that attitude I absolutely believe they will dominate and win this series and Detroit will be making roster changes this summer.

No, I'm not dillusional and even though I am a HOMER, I believe that I am right. lol.. had to add that. But seriously, why should they give any respect to the Pistons at all? The only respect that should be offered is the understanding of what each of the Pistons are capable of and working to shut them down.

We have the #1 center in this league. We have the most versitile front court in this league. Bottom line...... The Magic need to take it to the Pistons (big time) and make them defend what we throw at them. The best thing we can do is attack them relentlessly and drive them into the floor. I know we can do it, because we have done it all season long!

Billups cannot run continually with Jameer. No-one there can shut down Dwight. No-one there cant shut down Rashard or Turk for that matter. Quite frankly.. I think that Dooling can guard Hamilton well enough to keep him honest and not allow him to go off for 30-35 pts every game.

I am tired of hearing oooo, the Pistons this and oooo, the Pistons that. They have more experience but we are younger, stronger and more talented. GO MAGIC!

People, do not forget in your analysis the Piston's back up PG, the young 6'5" 205 pounds Rodney Stuckey! Last game against the 76ers he played 21 minutes had 5 rbds. and 4 assists, he also is a tough match up for our guards!

From Denton:

quote:

The Magic also need Nelson, their pint-sized point guard, to be ready to meet the physical challenge of trying to stop Detroit All-Star Chauncey Billups. Nelson was openly doubted going into the Toronto series against T.J. Ford and Jose Calderon, but he outplayed that tandem by averaging 17.2 points and 4.8 assists a game. The 6-foot-3 Billups dominated his matchup against Nelson last spring in the playoffs, and the Pistons undoubtedly will look to exploit that matchup. "Bring it on", Nelson said.

"I love challenges," Nelson said. "In the first round they all said Calderon and Ford were difference makers, quicker than me and better than me. I accept all challenges. When we step on the court next, it will be a challenge for the other guard against me."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...05030338/1002/SPORTS

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Meer's defense will have to be his relentless, penetrating offense.

Indeed

Jameer had the worst +/- stat on the team at minus 24. He looked completely lost. He looked overmatched. He looked intimidated. He looked like the same Jameer we've seen against Detroit for the last 3 years.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Jameer had the worst +/- stat on the team at minus 24. He looked completely lost. He looked overmatched. He looked intimidated. He looked like the same Jameer we've seen against Detroit for the last 3 years.

Yep. Evans also was not effective. Can't win 3 on 5..do we have a backcourt????

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

To be fair to him Smack, everyone except Rashard looked overmatched but I agree that our ball movement and asssist were very poor, yet is it all the PG's fault, where was turk the plymaker today?

quote:
To be fair to him Smack, everyone except Rashid looked overmatched but I agree that our ball movement and asssist were very poor, yet is it all the PG's fault, where was turk the plymaker today?

Regressing to his usual self as predicted by "moi"!

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

To be fair to him Smack, everyone except Rashid looked overmatched but I agree that our ball movement and asssist were very poor, yet is it all the PG's fault, where was turk the plymaker today?

There isn't a single player on the Magic team that I think had a good game. They all sucked. I hope they take it personally. I hope they take offense that the Pistons just clowned them. We couldn't even make a dent in their lead with Billups, Prince and Sheed on the bench the final 6 minutes of the game.

But...Jameer IMO, looked like the worst player on the court.