Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Who is Jameer gonna guard? Det./Orl. Match-up thread

I'm sitting here trying to visualize whom is going to guard whom in our 2nd round matchup with the Pistons. I'm sure I'm not the only Magic fan that remembers the nightmare that was last season's playoff match-up with Detroit.

All I can remember is the Pistons going right at whomever Jameer was guarding, be it Chauncy or Rip, and they did it with tremendous success. What made it worse was the announcers that were commentating pointing it out and riding him too.

Anyhow, that is not the only match-up problem I see. On paper, Detroit looks like a match-up nightmare for us.

Here are the starters for both teams:

Detroit - PG(Chauncy)

SG(Rip)

SF(Tayshaun)

PF(J. Maxiell)

C(Rasheed)

Orlando- PG(Jameer)

SG(Mo Evans)

SF(Hedo)

PF(Rashard)

C(Dwight)

Who is gonna guard who?

I'm not trying to bash or run down Jameer because I loved the heart the guy showed against the Raptors. He came up big for us when we needed him.

I'm sitting here trying to visualize whom is going to guard whom in our 2nd round matchup with the Pistons. I'm sure I'm not the only Magic fan that remembers the nightmare that was last season's playoff match-up with Detroit.

All I can remember is the Pistons going right at whomever Jameer was guarding, be it Chauncy or Rip, and they did it with tremendous success. What made it worse was the announcers that were commentating pointing it out and riding him too.

Anyhow, that is not the only match-up problem I see. On paper, Detroit looks like a match-up nightmare for us.

Here are the starters for both teams:

Detroit - PG(Chauncy)

SG(Rip)

SF(Tayshaun)

PF(J. Maxiell)

C(Rasheed)

Orlando- PG(Jameer)

SG(Mo Evans)

SF(Hedo)

PF(Rashard)

C(Dwight)

Who is gonna guard who?

I'm not trying to bash or run down Jameer because I loved the heart the guy showed against the Raptors. He came up big for us when we needed him.

nelson has to guard billups and stop penetration. when he posts up double him from time to time and make him give it up. nelson is strong enough and fast ewnough to do it. it must be his main focus for the magic to win. billups cant beat us with jump shots for 4 games. disrupt his play and we win. jacklj

You know what guys, if there was a weakness in our game then it was our guards. We manage to beat a talented team with some really great guards. This tells you that we will have something in store for detroit.

I am worried about the time orlando has had off, will that affect our intensity? If this is true then we must get a win in game 1.

Jameer needs to guard Billups. Rip is way too big for him.

Evans will have an important role in slowing down Rip. Jameer needs to be very active on defense and somehow Billups needs to be punished for being big and "slower" than our PGs.

We need to disrupt the flow of their offense by bothering Billups and find out a way to disrupt their defense. It has been done. I hope Stan knows how to do it and the players can execute.

Rasheed is great and all, I've always liked him, but ORL has the better big man. Dwight needs to dominate on both sides and make them adjust to him. We can't lose on Rasheed's 3 pointers.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Meer's defense will have to be his relentless, penetrating offense.

That's actually a very good point.

He is quick enough that he should be able to get the 1st step on Billups, then make sure that he bumps up against him to get Billups in foul trouble. Billups will then want to come to the other end of the court and try to body up against him. If Jameer stands his ground and takes the charge, more fouls on Billups.

This all sounds good, but it's hard to imagine a veteran like Billups making that mistake for more than 1 game.

quote:
Originally posted by ALPHA OMEGA theEND forOtis:

You know what guys, if there was a weakness in our game then it was our guards. We manage to beat a talented team with some really great guards. This tells you that we will have something in store for detroit.

I am worried about the time orlando has had off, will that affect our intensity? If this is true then we must get a win in game 1.

You're right about the guards but is a different matchup since at the end of the day, TOR guards are relatively small. DET's back court is really big with Billups and Rip so they can shoot over Jameer and give Mo a hard time.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Who is gonna guard who?

I have to agree with what Barkley was saying last night. The one place where the Pistons are really going to struggle is that they have absolutely no one that can guard Rashard (assuming Prince will be on Hedo; if Prince is on Rashard, then they have no one to guard Hedo).

That is our primary match-up advantage.

I keep hearing some posters concerned about the front line, but I believe that is where we have the advantage. I'll put our front 3 up against the front 3 of the Pistons any day of the week.