Sign in to follow this  
Natesroom

Legality of Luring Players to Orlando

I've wondered about the legality of trying to get players to come here for some time. Maybe some of you more business savvy could answer this.

First i wanna be the first to say that Lebron, wade or bosh will be in a magic uniform come the end of their contract.

Now the question is it legal for players to talk to another player and try and get them to come play for their team while the other player is under contract? I think it is illegal for Management to talk to players under contract but is it okay for say Dwight to talk to Bosh (since they've been friends for a while) about maybe coming to play with him in 2 years as a conversation between friends?

I've wondered about the legality of trying to get players to come here for some time. Maybe some of you more business savvy could answer this.

First i wanna be the first to say that Lebron, wade or bosh will be in a magic uniform come the end of their contract.

Now the question is it legal for players to talk to another player and try and get them to come play for their team while the other player is under contract? I think it is illegal for Management to talk to players under contract but is it okay for say Dwight to talk to Bosh (since they've been friends for a while) about maybe coming to play with him in 2 years as a conversation between friends?

No, any conversation pertaining to switching teams results in lethal injection.

Sarcasm aside, it would be unconstitutional to tell a player under contract he couldn't ponder with other people about switching teams. The contract binds him as an employee to that franchise, it doesn't bind him from wanting to go somewhere else when it's up.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Dwight and Bosh are good friends so I hear... I'm sure they talk often enough.

In the very unlikely scenario that one of those trio does sign with us Bosh would probably be that guy. I still doubt it though. It would take a very elaborate sign and trade to make it happen.

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

So i think we should push dwight to be an orlando magic cheerleader to one of those three... hell all of those three lol

Next year Dwight can compete at the Slam Dunk contest in a Magic Dancer outfit and talk to all the other All-Stars about coming here.

As I understand it, anything sponsored by the organization would be illegal, even if the organization asked Dwight to talk up the city and the franchise.

If Dwight volunteers the opinions himself, that's fine. There's no rule the NBA could realistically make that would forbid players from stating what they think of their respective cities and teams amongst friends. The Magic just can't use Dwight, or anyone else, as an official mouthpiece to other players.

quote:
Originally posted by ST since 90:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

So i think we should push dwight to be an orlando magic cheerleader to one of those three... hell all of those three lol

Next year Dwight can compete at the Slam Dunk contest in a Magic Dancer outfit and talk to all the other All-Stars about coming here.

I'm thinking that might encounter an adverse reaction from prospective new teammates.

First of all, I endorse any and all actions that might go to bringing Chris Bosh to the Magic. The rewards of this are two-fold: first of all, Bosh would be the PERFECT running mate for Dwight Howard in the frontcourt. Second, any move that pisses off Raptors fans is a good move in my eyes.

Secondly, I still think the superstar that would be itching to play with the Magic the most is Gilbert Arenas. But my thoughts regarding this are well documented.

I think we would have a very difficult time getting Lebron to come to a small market like Orlando, and I am tempted to say the same regarding Wade. I see them going to New York and Chicago, respectively, if they go anywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

First of all, I endorse any and all actions that might go to bringing Chris Bosh to the Magic. The rewards of this are two-fold: first of all, Bosh would be the PERFECT running mate for Dwight Howard in the frontcourt. Second, any move that pisses off Raptors fans is a good move in my eyes.

Secondly, I still think the superstar that would be itching to play with the Magic the most is Gilbert Arenas. But my thoughts regarding this are well documented.

I think we would have a very difficult time getting Lebron to come to a small market like Orlando, and I am tempted to say the same regarding Wade. I see them going to New York and Chicago, respectively, if they go anywhere.

Big market or big man? My guess is that given the choice between a big city and the most dominant big man, they'd go with the latter. Free agency is going to fun for the next decade!