Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Latest MC 2/20

Wow, high quality article from MC. Lots of good analysis I have not read elsewhere. Nice find for the boards, Nyce.

Brad Miller... I dunno... I thought he was done after last season, but he's right back where he was 2 years ago, scoring, rebounding, passing, and getting blocks and steals. If he kept up this level of play for our team this season and the next couple seasons, that'd be dang awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFanBen:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Ben, this discussion aside, are you MC or just a big supporter?

Yep I am MC...Seriously why is it that why I reply in other threads no one comes after me. Then after how ever long it has been an MC thread is posted here and I comment and someone comes after me???

I swaer one person likes what MC says and writes more than a sentence and they are suddenly stupid or something. Look the guy makes sense. Maybe I am just stupid for liking to read his stuff. I wish he wrote more. SO kill me for being a supporter writers that wrtie about the team I root for. I swear it is like I should create a new name on this board just so what I have to say is heard and not scrutinized for such a stupid reason.

Ok I am done biitching, I am MC if that will satisfy you and take me more seriously when I say something on here.

Ben, I did not attack you. I asked b/c I have been curious about it for a while and you have never directly answered the question.

As for my view on MC, whether or not you are him, he tends to mix info from his sources with his opinion, which unnecessarily blurs things and has led to people discrediting his writing. Still, at the end of the day, I am very happy he is a devoted Magic fan.

No I did not take offense to you. I just find it funny how if I respond in an MC thread I get attacked...not by you but in general. Yet I post in a ton of other threads and no one pays much attention. Just comical if you ask me.

For the sake of arguement though maybe we should just say I am MC and then people can reply to things I say and have a discussion about Magic stuff instead of an identity they want me to assume....

Miller would be a GREAT fit and I've always loved his fire and passing ability. He's kind of like Chris Webber with slightly less talent, but slightly more passion.

AND the thought of sweeping up Bosh or LeBron [edit for clarity: "in a few years"] is really palatable.

I concur with those that rubbish the whole "Who is MC debate" and just enjoy the read.

I don't know who he is or care, but this time he didn't make predictions, he just provided a solid, somewhat speculative "article" if you will, that I enjoyed.

Oh, hey Smack...if you ever are wanting even more new stuff to read, give me a hollah!

quote:

So I guess since the Grizzlies, HEat & Kings decided to part with their biggest star player it will never happen again??? When did the Kings trade Kevin Martin? And when did Shaq become useful this year? Come on man expiring deals are the sexiest thing come trade deadline for a lot of teams that wake up and realize if they keep a player they are in cap he11 for the next several years and will continue to be a mediocre team. You'd struggle to find 5 players in league history who were superstars who got traded for expirings. Gasol was an anomaly, and you're acting like it's the standard.

NO WAY Cleveland ever trades LeBron. There would be the worst fall out ever from that. They will end up having a Shaq event happening to them like it happened to the Magic in 1996. I agree with this, but I'm not sure what it's in reference to. Cleveland will be losing LeBron in 3 years though. Ferry is the worst GM in history.

But you can not sit there after witnessing Gasol getting traded for the largest expiring deal they could find and not realize the same thing is possible if you have Miller's and Battie's contract as trade bait in 2010. If I were a betting man I would say a ton of teams will be trying to shed salary come that trade deadline and the team with the expiring deals will be in the drivers seat. Everyone knows that was an inside deal between those teams, and everyone knows the Grizzlies could've gotten much better offers had they actually been open to receiving them. Again, Gasol is an anomaly, not the rule.

Imagine for a moment that the Magic somehow fall on hard time and there is a team out there willing to take Lewis and Nelson off our hands that summer. If the Magic got expiring deals in the process they would be more inclined to blow things up and try for one of those top guys. So reverse that situation. Say Miami resigns Marion and it does not work out. They will have no choice but to trade him and he just might be the perfect fit in Orlando. Teams like the Heat, Nuggets, Raptors & Cavs are going to be under immense pressure to make something happen if there team sucks. SO the players you think might not be available for a trade in 2010 just probably will. So we should base our entire plan for the next few years on what may or may not happen with other teams? That seems a little silly, don't you think?

Take it easy guy, you think I actually care about MC's opinion for more than the 5 seconds it took me to write that first post? you need to open your mind my mind is incredibly open. I've argued opinions I didn't even agree with just to see the other side before. In this case, you're just wrong. and not be so negative. You believe I'm too negative? That's hilarious.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

So I guess since the Grizzlies, HEat & Kings decided to part with their biggest star player it will never happen again??? When did the Kings trade Kevin Martin? And when did Shaq become useful this year? Come on man expiring deals are the sexiest thing come trade deadline for a lot of teams that wake up and realize if they keep a player they are in cap he11 for the next several years and will continue to be a mediocre team. You'd struggle to find 5 players in league history who were superstars who got traded for expirings. Gasol was an anomaly, and you're acting like it's the standard.

NO WAY Cleveland ever trades LeBron. There would be the worst fall out ever from that. They will end up having a Shaq event happening to them like it happened to the Magic in 1996. I agree with this, but I'm not sure what it's in reference to. Cleveland will be losing LeBron in 3 years though. Ferry is the worst GM in history.

But you can not sit there after witnessing Gasol getting traded for the largest expiring deal they could find and not realize the same thing is possible if you have Miller's and Battie's contract as trade bait in 2010. If I were a betting man I would say a ton of teams will be trying to shed salary come that trade deadline and the team with the expiring deals will be in the drivers seat. Everyone knows that was an inside deal between those teams, and everyone knows the Grizzlies could've gotten much better offers had they actually been open to receiving them. Again, Gasol is an anomaly, not the rule.

Imagine for a moment that the Magic somehow fall on hard time and there is a team out there willing to take Lewis and Nelson off our hands that summer. If the Magic got expiring deals in the process they would be more inclined to blow things up and try for one of those top guys. So reverse that situation. Say Miami resigns Marion and it does not work out. They will have no choice but to trade him and he just might be the perfect fit in Orlando. Teams like the Heat, Nuggets, Raptors & Cavs are going to be under immense pressure to make something happen if there team sucks. SO the players you think might not be available for a trade in 2010 just probably will. So we should base our entire plan for the next few years on what may or may not happen with other teams? That seems a little silly, don't you think?

Take it easy guy, you think I actually care about MC's opinion for more than the 5 seconds it took me to write that first post? you need to open your mind my mind is incredibly open. I've argued opinions I didn't even agree with just to see the other side before. In this case, you're just wrong. and not be so negative. You believe I'm too negative? That's hilarious.

You ask what we should base our plan on and I say this. MY opinion is...not MC's opinion, MY OPINION is that there is absolutely no reason to just let over $17 million in contracts expire. It does the Magic absolutely no go at all. It is not like we have a player that is going to have value enough as a free agent where we will be able to work a sign and trade. For that reason alone we should do something, anything with our epxiring contracts. Just do something with Garrity and Arroyo since they are not even playing. I could handle letting Augustine expire, but Garrity of all players needs to provide a dividend to this organization besides riding the pine. A smart GM would have been able to trade his expiring deal for something, anything, which I promise would be much better than having him on the team.

MC makes a good point about Miller's contract expiring the same year as Tony's, but I'd still rather have a guy like Haslem or Wilcox (preferably Haslem) because they have the potential to grow with Dwight and the rest of the team. Miller is what -- 32 years old? Haslem also has the advantage of 1.) having already played with a dominant big man, and 2.) having experience playing for SVG, making for a quicker transition.

quote:

quote:

quote:

The year in question, Dwight, Lewis, and Nelson will combine to make close to 45 million dollars. So assuming we have no one under contract other than those three going into that season, we'd have, what, 15 million to throw at a free agent, sign 2 rookies to their deals, and then have to fill out a roster with the vet minimum for the remaining 9 roster slots? I don't care if we get Lebron. We're not accomplishing anything with a roster of 6 players.

MC is clearly the dumbest dumb**** in Dumb****istan. Now I have to go back to ignoring he exists.

No offense, but I think you have a reading comprehnsion problem. I took from what I read is that MC thinks that a lot of teams will be wanting the cap room for that summer and if the Magic have 2 contracts in Miller and Battie they can make a good trade to those teams wanting the cap room. The first thought that came in to my mind is that the Bucks might want to part with Michael Redd then or even the Mavs might think about parting with an older Dirk.

The Dallas scenario I would think is more likely because Kidd will be ready to be retiring by then and you have to know Dirk will not be all he is presently. So think about it like that. THe Magic have 2 HUGE expiring deals and could nab a Dirk or Redd and allow those teams to chase the TMAC's, LeBron's, Wade's etc of the NBA free agent Market.

Sure beats the heck out of having no leverage. to do anything. I think we have to parlay these expiring contracts in to someone like Miller who we can use now as a player and use later as an expiring deal. Makes a ton of sense to me.

Since I used a bad example, go back and reread my post, but substitute "any big time player who's fallen out of favor with his team" for "LeBron" and you'll be set.

We won't make a run at a FA in the next 7 years. That's a given. However, the notion that we're going to get unhappy superstars the same year that some 5 superstars will be FAs is laughable. If this season should've taught anything, it's that teams will try a lot harder to make a superstar happy than they will trade the superstar to replace them with someone else. Not to mention, most teams aren't in the financial capacity to rebuild on the fly the way Miami is trying to because of ownership issues. Christ, why do you think Atlanta has sucked for the last 50 years?

At best, 30 million in expirings will get you a lot of unhappy MLE players. To get a real star with expirings, you'd have to package it with young talent and draft picks. By that point, our only "young" talent will be Dwight and Dwight and Dwight. I guess if we make some good draft picks in the intervening time, we could have those assets, but JJ doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

And before you mention the Gasol trade, which frankly I'm tired of hearing about, that's an anomaly. Look at every other trade ever. Trades typically aren't made for 34 cents to the dollar, and even Memphis did get a good point guard prospect.

And the fact that you'd even mention Redd as a target is surreal. How are we going to get Redd enough shots if we can't get Dwight enough? Plus, Redd doesn't rebound or play defense. He can score, and that's it.

The fact that you'd write that we should make a decision based on how we "have to parlay these expiring contracts in to someone like Miller who we can use now as a player and use later as an expiring" is profoundly numbing. You're deciding to base personnel decisions that'll affect the next 3 years of play over contract size for 3 years from now, and you're doing so based off the blog of someone who is utterly without qualifications because he claims to know someone, and who is quoting a rumor that has never been substantiated by anyone, ever, and came from an internet message board.

Reading comprehension problems? No slick, it's just a situation where while you were looking at a picture, I was seeing the entire museum.

im not really a fan of mc but i think he was trying to say we can trade our would be expirings(miller? battie?) to a team who wants to go far below the cap to sign a top FA.