Sign in to follow this  
Marc Acres 3:16

A Birdman to help out our Beast?

quote:
I think we have other threads on this type of thing but I think sooner or later we (this organization) are going to need to step outside of the character issue box. I'm not saying take a chance on a Ricky Davis type where they destroy chemistry, but I do think that if we are limiting the pool of players we can go after by ruling out guys like Anderson then we are going to be missing out on some decent options.

Agreed. Maybe now that Devos is phasing out we can make some more aggressive moves in the personal department.

And I read an article about Birdman about a year ago. His background issues should be cancelled out when placed next to the bull**** he went through to get to where he did. Although I see no hint that we'll be getting him anytime soon.

quote:
Originally posted by star_phenom35:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

I am not oppose to anyone comming in here to help on the boards and some of the manhandling duties! But who would be his competition? Who else is available? Is this the best we can do? I don't think the gu is going to be much of a problem unless he falls off the wagon....and if he does, what do we lose if we piss test him more than the league??

lol @ piss tests

OHHHHHHHHHH YeaHHHHHHH!!! If you know the league is going to make him pee in the cup, once or twice a month (like a parolee)then the team will piss test him once a week, the first time he pisses a rainbow.....see ya!!

Too Yellow.... BAM! GONE!! lol

anyways we should pick up a 1 yr player and get this guy in the draft

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jasonthompson.html

FINALLY someone's on my side... I ve been screaming Jason Thompson for a while now. That kid's got mad game

Taj Gibson is another one we should look at. Not a banger but plays good D w/ a jumper

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Ricky Williamsesque, that is a great way to discribe him.

I think we have other threads on this type of thing but I think sooner or later we (this organization) are going to need to step outside of the character issue box. I'm not saying take a chance on a Ricky Davis type where they destroy chemistry, but I do think that if we are limiting the pool of players we can go after by ruling out guys like Anderson then we are going to be missing out on some decent options.

Lamar Odom, Rasheed Wallace, Ruben Patterson, and Stephen Jackson are all players that had checkered past's and turned things around enough to where they were able to make positive contributions to their teams.

I think the Magic get a raw deal on the "character" issue. I think it comes mostly from comments from Devos but there is plenty of evidence of going after players with "checkered past's" throughout the history of our organization.

Just a few examples;

Drafted JJ Redick ('06) - DUI charge in NC,

Steve Francis ('04)- who had a well earned reputation for being a "difficult" player and who had left Vancouver hanging dry after they picked him in the draft.

Rod Strickland ('03) - another player with noted "issues".

Vernon Maxwell ('98) - troublemaker extraordinare.

Shawn Kemp ('02) - noted drug problems and terrible image as a random father.

It's not like we're signing risk players every year but it's not like we completely shy away from them either. Most teams avoid the really troubled ones and the ones that don't regret it more often than not. How many teams that had Jr Ryder are happy they had him? Really, how many teams did Artest leave in worst shape than he found them?

I'll take a bad boy if he's worth it, someone who can impact the team. I don't think the Magic will shy away from it if the opportunity arises.

quote:
I think the Magic get a raw deal on the "character" issue. I think it comes mostly from comments from Devos but there is plenty of evidence of going after players with "checkered past's" throughout the history of our organization.

Just a few examples;

Drafted JJ Redick ('06) - DUI charge in NC,

Steve Francis ('04)- who had a well earned reputation for being a "difficult" player and who had left Vancouver hanging dry after they picked him in the draft.

Rod Strickland ('03) - another player with noted "issues".

Vernon Maxwell ('98) - troublemaker extraordinare.

Shawn Kemp ('02) - noted drug problems and terrible image as a random father.

It's not like we're signing risk players every year but it's not like we completely shy away from them either. Most teams avoid the really troubled ones and the ones that don't regret it more often than not. How many teams that had Jr Ryder are happy they had him? Really, how many teams did Artest leave in worst shape than he found them?

I'll take a bad boy if he's worth it, someone who can impact the team. I don't think the Magic will shy away from it if the opportunity arises.

No one you listed other than Francis was ever consider a key or even somewhat important piece of the franchise. And Francis is just a head case, not someone with a legal history. And all of those players have scant records at best. Kemp and Stricklands issues came much earlier in their careers.

The fact is we do target players with character in mind. We've always had teams of nice guys. Not many other franchises that have been around for 2 decades have had so few players with any kind of issue. Not that this is a bad thing, but it would be nice to chance on a Wallace type every now and again.

Getting his act together, for real, will show good character... so that would do it in the character issue IMO.

Basketball wise I don't know much about him.

Maybe a little off-topic but why is it that nice guys are viewed as soft??? I mean, this is a game, they can be nice guys but aggresive and intense players on the court... is not that they are mutually exclusive things.

Now if we are talking about playing dirty in order to win... that's another story.

I have heard that hes really tight with KG, and that Boston may make a play for him if he returns. I doubt we make a play for him but id take him sure

I recently came across an article that made me want to re-instate this thought that acres put forth a while back.

There was nothing from the article that has any relevance to be posted. I just love this idea and if he is to become reinstated in the league, I really hope that we get our **** together and make an attempt. It could be one of the more influential moves this franchise makes. It could also be dismal. A catch 22 situation it is. However, I'd bank on him.

This really is a guy that if he can return successfully and produce what was once known of him, boy oh boy would this be very interesting. The combination of Dwight and Andersen with Shard, Turk and co. Very intriguing.

Anyhow, My sole message is that if he his reinstated we got to, got to act!