Sign in to follow this  
Jagsfreak27

Magic Going All In For Chris Paul's Backup?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227889/Magic-Interested-In-Trading-For-Eric-Bledsoe

I would be down with an AA swap, but I don't think that puts us in a very good position to tank next year.

UPDATE:

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2013/6/24/4460494/2013-nba-draft-trade-rumor-orlando-magic-eric-bledsoe-los-angeles-clippers-eric-bledsoe

Seems like this thing might actually go down.

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 1m

Magic have been agressive in looking at trades in addition to draft prospects. Bledsoe package could be part of bigger deal.

Bigger deal?

The nice thing about adding so many young players all in the same two or three year span is that the full potential of their abilities and impacts can't be completely recognized right away. Even if the Magic traded for Bledsoe and Butler's expiring contract the chances are very high that the team would "tank" at varying degrees for at least a year or two while the players evolve and develop a chemistry (around the same time of an upcoming draft with exceptional talent and depth); the real question is what pieces are sent to LAC for a deal like that. It may be blessing in disguise or a rose colored turd. Most GM's from these teams like OKC and Memphis have said in interviews that it was important to build through the draft (check), develop talent (check), AND take informed risks (if the price and conditions are right).

I'm a bit concerned that this swap will rush our rebuilding process (since Bledsoe expires a year before Vooch and Harris, and two before Harkless and Nicholson).

Of course I'm also not terribly excited about settling for a non-elite player at the point, but I suppose doing so would give us more flexibility in the next 2-3 drafts.

I'm a bit concerned that this swap will rush our rebuilding process (since Bledsoe expires a year before Vooch and Harris, and two before Harkless and Nicholson).

Of course I'm also not terribly excited about settling for a non-elite player at the point, but I suppose doing so would give us more flexibility in the next 2-3 drafts.

Who was the last elite point guard to win a championship?

Magic Johnson in 1988. You might get away with Isaiah Thomas in 1990.

Don't tell me Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups are "elite" because no.

Just my personal preference there. Teams with superstar point guards--or combo guard superstars pretending to play point guards--are far more entertaining than those built around swingmen (especially if the rest of the supporting cast is especially terrible). After all, I'm the one who is gonna have to watch these damn games.

On second thought, I suppose that I could also settle for gifted bigs like Dirty Dirk or The Nightmare and a spread of roe :D

Parker was and still is an elite PG.

Billups was an all star from the mid 2000s until 2010. He might not be elite, but he was certainly an excellent player in his prime at Detroit.

Another potential guy is Rondo when he won with the Celtics. Maybe not elite, but like Billups he was an excellent player.

I guess at the time the only elite player would have been Parker. Sure there aren't many, but having an elite PG doesn't hurt, you just need to build them a supporting cast. If the Clippers got more support for CP3 they could be more serious contenders.

Did anyone else have a laughable nostalgia of the Chris Paul Thread....looking at the title but was upset that it was Eric Bledsoe?

that's a very selective way to put it.

Having a fast PG that is hard to guard and that can really put defensive pressure on the opposing PG changes the whole flow of the game. They don't have to be elite, but having a PG that can get to the rim, the line, and hit 3s and FTs. Even quick little guys like Nate Robinson can change a game- look how many times he's come off the bench and brought Chicago and Boston back into a game.

Meer is a GOOD PG for us, but it's time for us to start grooming our PG of the future. If we are going in for Bledsoe I hope we make a commitment before the draft so we can draft accordingly. Trading AA for Bleds and picking up one of the 2s in the draft would be cool in my book!

It's going to be very interesting to see what moves Henny makes this off season.