Sign in to follow this  
Admin

OrlandoMagic.com Beat Writer???

Rock Chalk would you be having a poll for who it would be? And would they're views whether positive or negative be allowed? Would they're articles be allowed as is or would they have to be submitted to someone else for review?

Also lets say this idea is a go, however the logistics are set up. Would we be able to submit articles, topics or info for they're perusal (obviously submitting any info, or articles would give up a persons copyright)

Just a thought.... and i really dig this dudes post above mines idea.

quote:
Originally posted by phatmatt:

I'm stealing this idea from my alum's football website...FSU posts practice reports after every practice...who's working in with the first team...who's looking good...who's struggling...who's sitting out because of injuries...highlights from scrimmages...what the mood is...what the chemistry is like. I'd like to read this kind of stuff about the Magic if they let any media in to watch practices. Any chance of this happening?

Ditto. The Slantinel beat writers have never come close to this time of extensive coverage and fans eat this stuff up. This is exactly why I never even bother to read the sports page anymore. Unfortunately, this type of coverage has been limited to college football even on the internet. I have never understood how beat writers dedicated to covering a team produce such little info.

The only obvious issue here is that the beat writer would be employed by the Magic. I have difficulty imagining they would give "their" beat writer carte blanc. But, at least we'd get more info than we currently get.

quote:
Originally posted by phatmatt:

I'm stealing this idea from my alum's football website...FSU posts practice reports after every practice...who's working in with the first team...who's looking good...who's struggling...who's sitting out because of injuries...highlights from scrimmages...what the mood is...what the chemistry is like. I'd like to read this kind of stuff about the Magic if they let any media in to watch practices. Any chance of this happening?

You must be talking about Warchant.com, I subscribe to that one. Amazing coverage having live report threads from practice, it is a paid service though but well worth the $100 a year.

I think this is a great idea. Having someone with a true pulse for the team is great. Does the NBA restrict access to practices or is that just a team thing??

Warchant.com is an awesome website. Those guys do an amazing job. If they can report it they will let you know. I remember they were posting Jimbo Fisher updates at like 2 and 3 a.m.

If we had someone who reported from practices, after the games, etc. it could really add alot.

For example after the BC-FSU game we found out that Chris Davis was one of the only players that were completely pissed when they lost. This is the kind of stuff fans want to know. I want to know if a loss bothers Dwight like it bothers me. I want to know if Dwight and Trevor play practical jokes on JJ and Augustine. I know college and pros are the totally different but that is the kind of stuff that helps you relate to the athletes and makes people bigger fans in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

You must be talking about Warchant.com, I subscribe to that one. Amazing coverage having live report threads from practice, it is a paid service though but well worth the $100 a year.

Actually I was just talking about the school's Athletics website ...

They put up brief practice reports on there, but yes, although i dont subscribe, i know warchant has everything you need and then some.

A sports beat writer is a journalist who is assigned to cover a certain sports team. A sports beat writer often covers his or her team year-round, even during the offseason. The job of a sports beat writer varies slightly from sport to sport, but the basic elements are the same. The sports beat writer is typically required to cover every game the team plays

Are we asking if we need a beat writer, or are we asking for nominations?

I'm all for a beat writer, but if we're asking for nominations, hell, I graduate in two months, and I can't find a job. So I'll do it.

The key to having our 'own' beat writer is that he/she can provide information based on the 'hot topics' in the forum.

If the forum is excited over an issue, yet the Slantinel has no interest in pursuing that area, the forum would have someone that would ask questions that are being posted on the forum.

For example, I would love for someone to ask Otis, "Do you have complete say in who the coach of the Magic is, or does that choice belong to VanderWeide (or some combination)?"

Don't know if we'd get an honest answer, but I want someone asking the questions that are being asked by the fans, not by a select few sportswriters that have their own personal agendas.