Sign in to follow this  
New Managment Please

Why not take a shot at Billy Donovan in the off-season?

First off, I think the Celtics would have an EXTREMELY tough time selling a Pitino understudy to replace Doc.

2nd there are some flaws to his Meyer comparison. Does anyone think that there is any way for Utah to compete in recruiting with bigger conferances? What conferance is Utah in? Mountain West? with who else? Air Force, BYU, Colorado St., New Mexico, San Diego State, UNLV, Utah and Wyoming. I don't think it's fair but how are teams in that conference supposed to compete in the BCS on a regular basis?

It's not apples to apples (no it isn't fair) Meyer would not have had the same opportunites at Utah that he has at UF.

Kentucky is definately a better basketball school with MUCH more history and MUCH more rabid fans but, Donovan still has the same chance at UF to recruit and win championships at UF that he would have at Kentucky.

I agree that the Utah reference is dumb. Utah has no where near the budget, facilities, conference or recruiting base UF has to be successful year in and out.

Billy could easily stay at UF and be continue the run he has had.

I think it comes down to this and only Billy can answer it.

Will he always be happy being the 2nd most popular coach on campus?

Does he want a bigger challenge and payback that only the NBA can provide?

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

First off, I think the Celtics would have an EXTREMELY tough time selling a Pitino understudy to replace Doc.

2nd there are some flaws to his Meyer comparison. Does anyone think that there is any way for Utah to compete in recruiting with bigger conferances? What conferance is Utah in? Mountain West? with who else? Air Force, BYU, Colorado St., New Mexico, San Diego State, UNLV, Utah and Wyoming. I don't think it's fair but how are teams in that conference supposed to compete in the BCS on a regular basis?

It's not apples to apples (no it isn't fair) Meyer would not have had the same opportunites at Utah that he has at UF.

Kentucky is definately a better basketball school with MUCH more history and MUCH more rabid fans but, Donovan still has the same chance at UF to recruit and win championships at UF that he would have at Kentucky.

I really think any down NBA team will have a difficult time hiring a college coach without backlash. As for Billy D the ball is in his court. If he wants to stay where he is and just be one of the 5 or 10 highest paid NCAA coaches then he will stay at UF. If he wants to be the man at his school and have the number one sport and attention grabber than he will go to UK.

The Meyer comparison is a bad one because he left for a much better job. It was like Donovan leaving Providence to go to UF. If Meyer left say UGA to go to UF that would be the comparison.

WLEX (Louisville TV station) is reporting that UK is going (or already has) offered Donovan 7 years at $3.5 mil. a year, with a $3.5 bonus in the seventh year. Considering Urban only makes $2.0 mil. a year, paying their BBall coach twice as much (inclusive of bonus) might be a tough one to match.

The guys on "Cold Pizza" just said Billy should try and go to the pros. Also saying (rumors) that Miami could make a play for him after the season to replace Riles. If he gets that chance, he should definitely make the jump.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

WLEX (Louisville TV station) is reporting that UK is going (or already has) offered Donovan 7 years at $3.5 mil. a year, with a $3.5 bonus in the seventh year. Considering Urban only makes $2.0 mil. a year, paying their BBall coach twice as much (inclusive of bonus) might be a tough one to match.

Awesome news, Bhnole! Thanks!!

I told you guys the Cats will have deep pockets when it comes to getting a new coach.

If it's not Donovan then they'll get somebody else. Highly qualified I might add.

Anyway, as I've been saying the days of mediocrity at UK are over BABY!!!!!!!!!

Gators better look out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if we could all finally say the days of mediocrity at Orlando were over!

By the way "NEW MANAGEMENT PLEASE" great name, easily the best I've seen, you should post more : )

Really, that this organization would benefit from a good house cleaning from the top down is an understatement. I wish some "magic" would bring in a competitive owner/management that would be well-respected, instead of the Mickey Mouse owners that loves to hire inept personnel.

But I have to agree, the Magic should get someone with NBA experience, at least either as assistant or as an analyst. Having said that I'd take Donovan over Brian Hill any second, other than the few B.Hill apologists here who in the right mind wouldn't??

If Magic management had the vision to take more knowledgeable and respected personnel I'd be willing to forget the lousy job it has done for well over a decade.

Let's look at Kenny Smith, Bill Laimbeer, Darrell Armstrong etc. Please MAGIC MANAGEMENT, do something right for once! thanks.

quote:
Calathes says he doesn't know if he'd stay committed to Gators if Donovan leaves

Tania Ganguli | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted March 27, 2007, 4:13 PM EDT

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The tentacles of the speculation about whether Billy Donovan would leave Florida to coach Kentucky are weighing on McDonald's All-American Nick Calathes this week.

"I'm a Gator right now," said Calathes, a 6-foot-6 guard from Lake Howell who has signed with Florida.

He then rubbed his face, pausing when asked what he would do if the Florida men's basketball coach defected to Kentucky.

"I don't know, l'd have to think about it, " Calathes said Tuesday.

Calathes said Donovan was a major factor in his decision to sign with Florida, as was the strength of its program and its proximity to his home in Casselberry. He spoke to coaches at Florida last week but said he did not ask about Donovan leaving.

"They probably have more important things to think about right now, being in the tournament," Calathes said by phone over the weekend.

Previously, Calathes reportedly had said he would follow Donovan wherever he went.

You know what I find amazing, if Billy Donovan wants to stop all this speculation then why doesn't he just come out in the media and stop it. All he has to do is speak and he can stop all the rumors.

But he says nothing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...? I'm starting to wonder if something's brewing.

Are you sweating yet Gator fans?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-calathe...orl-sports-headlines

LOL, they probably are a little bit. I don't think even Gator fans could blame Donovan for at least wanting to hear what Kentucky has to say. He should be allowed to do that but obviously he shouldn't have to address it when his team is still chasing a championship. I think he will listen to what Kentucky has to say but in the end I think he stays in Florida.

What I am hearing is if Donovan goes anywhere he is going to the Heat, since he was an assistant under Riley who would remain as the GM plus Donovan has close ties with Jason Williams and Udanis Haslem who he coached at Florida.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Calathes says he doesn't know if he'd stay committed to Gators if Donovan leaves

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The tentacles of the speculation about whether Billy Donovan would leave Florida to coach Kentucky are weighing on McDonald's All-American Nick Calathes this week.

"I'm a Gator right now," said Calathes, a 6-foot-6 guard from Lake Howell who has signed with Florida.

He then rubbed his face, pausing when asked what he would do if the Florida men's basketball coach defected to Kentucky.

Calathes said Donovan was a major factor in his decision to sign with Florida, as was the strength of its program and its proximity to his home in Casselberry. He spoke to coaches at Florida last week but said he did not ask about Donovan leaving.

"They probably have more important things to think about right now, being in the tournament," Calathes said by phone over the weekend.

Previously, Calathes reportedly had said he would follow Donovan wherever he went.

You know what I find amazing, if Billy Donovan wants to stop all this speculation then why doesn't he just come out in the media and stop it. All he has to do is speak and he can stop all the rumors.

But he says nothing.

Maybe you should take a buisness class or something. Why would he just come out and say he's not leaving. He can use Kentucky as leverage to get more money from Florida. There's no way he's going to a place with insane fans that think they're entitled to every national championship. Florida has a better basketball program than Kentucky does, going there would be a downgrade.

And most importantly Andy Katz reported that they're already working on an extension that would pay him more than coach Meyer.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:

But he says nothing.

Maybe you should take a buisness class or something. Why would he just come out and say he's not leaving. He can use Kentucky as leverage to get more money from Florida. There's no way he's going to a place with insane fans that think they're entitled to every national championship. Florida has a better basketball program than Kentucky does, going there would be a downgrade.

And most importantly Andy Katz reported that they're already working on an extension that would pay him more than coach Meyer.

Spoken like a typical Gator fan. You need to read most of this thread if you think Floida has a better basketball program than Kentucky.

Anyway, I'm not enamored with Billy. The Kentucky program has such deep pockets they will get pretty much who they want. Can't wait to see who it is. Billy has always been a great recruiter but I've never been overly impressed with his X's and O's ability.

The cupboard is bare for Billy after this year so he better get out while the gettin is good. The Cats are gonna go right back to kickin the Gators butt just like we've done for 50 years.

With or without Billy.