Sign in to follow this  
New Managment Please

Why not take a shot at Billy Donovan in the off-season?

Its been reported that he is not a lock to stay at Florida after this year and it seems that money may be a motivator for where he goes. He makes under 2 million now. If our little coach makes 3 million a year now. We may be able to offer something that would intice Donavan to come here. Especially if Florida wins again, he may want to leave the college basketball scene on top. I think with a young team, he could be a big upgrade at head coach. Any thoughts?

Its been reported that he is not a lock to stay at Florida after this year and it seems that money may be a motivator for where he goes. He makes under 2 million now. If our little coach makes 3 million a year now. We may be able to offer something that would intice Donavan to come here. Especially if Florida wins again, he may want to leave the college basketball scene on top. I think with a young team, he could be a big upgrade at head coach. Any thoughts?

Donovan would be a failure. He is a recruiter, not a world class basketball mind. As djmase said, he would continue the trend of college coaches failing at the next level.

As for leaving for UK, it would be a decline for Billy. Stay where you are, and win for the next 20 years.

Has there ever been a big name college coach that had a good career in the pros? Donovan would be foolish to leave UF.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Has there ever been a big name college coach that had a good career in the pros? Donovan would be foolish to leave UF.

Sure there are quite a few, the most famous would be Larry Brown. But would you want him here?? For the record, I would not!!! Go Magic....All of them!!!!!!

Oh God, how did I not think of Larry Brown? Ok in the past 10 years then.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Oh God, how did I not think of Larry Brown? Ok in the past 10 years then.

None that I can think of, St Jean (? spelling) from GS was another failed attempt, but to be truthful with you, I was hoping that John Thompson II would take the plunge!!!

John Calipari, Mike Montgomery, Leonard Hamilton, Tim Floyd, Lon Kruguer, and last but certainly not least Rick Pitino who are all great college coaches have failed miserably in the NBA. It is just two totally different worlds and is not an easy transition. Plus they only way you are going to get Billy D to come is to pay him 5 or 6 million a year which is outrageous for someone with zero NBA coaching experience.

Billy is a Pitino disciple, Pitino failed miserably in the NBA. Billy also washed out of NBA after playing a year with the Knicks, considering his lack NBA playing or coaching experience. I don't see any owners going overboard to spend big bucks on him. But I never thought the Knicks would give Zeek an extension either so weirder things can happen.

That being said I would not be surprised to see him go to UK. He started his coaching career as an assistant under Pitino there and still has some roots.

Basketball will always play second fiddle to football at UF, FSU, and Miami. UF struggles to sell out against non SEC rivals, compared to UK who gets 23,000 to show up for a midnight madness practice in October.

At this point I would put the odds at this:

Stay at UF - 60%

Go to UK - 30%

NBA - 10%

If he stays at UF this year, the NBA will likely be the only thing that he ever leaves for, since the UK job is the only other College job I think he would be interested in.