Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

To Boo, or not to Boo? Grant/Otis comment in Denton's blog

quote:
Originally posted by TheGodfather:

quote:
Originally posted by Nell2ThaIzzay:

wow, i am ashamed to be affiliated with such a classless group of people that call themselves sports fans.

anyone that would boo a class act like grant hill, in my opinion, has no place what so ever even WATCHING sports. and i am definately ashamed to have the same rooting interest as the likes of those who would be somebody like grant hill, who did everything he possibly could to play this game, even risk his very life for it, when you have players like vince carter who fake injuries to get off of a team just because things aren't going exactly his way.

Nell2ThaIzzay-

While I actually agree with what you are saying, Get off your high horse.

I dont think he should be booed and I appreciated everything he did for Orlando OFF THE COURT. You are right, he is a class act.

But for you to come into the message board and a few months in, tell the other posters that you are ASHAMED to be affiliated with them, it just comes off as pompous. They have their opinions, you have yours. You are no better a person for having your opinions than they are for having theirs.

Grant Hill, in my humble opinion, took the easy road(remember the whole..."The Road Less Traveled By"?

Grant Hill was paid $93,000,000.00 by the Orlando Magic. He played in a fraction of the games. It was not his fault and he fought valiantly to get on the court. Im sure he would have wanted things to go differently but they didnt. Both Hill was crippled for most of those seven years, and because of the money Hill was collecting sitting on the bench in his very snazzy suites, The Magic were crippled to.

Visons of "What Might Have Been" were the waking thoughts of most every Magic fan and Tracy McGrady. A title shot was suppose to be coming back. With Hill at the 3 and Tracy at the 2...we had the makings of an NBA contender....

Oh well....

But here is the thing you obviously arent getting Nell2ThaIzzay...

Magic fans are bitter. They have the right. Just as Grant Hill had the right to "Hitch a ride" on the Pheonix Suns NBA Finals Train. He wants a ring...fine.

But I was hoping that a Class Act like Hill would have seen what the Magic had given him. The Magic didnt buy out his contract and release him....no no no. They kept putting his paychecks in the mail. It would have been really classy for him to sign for the vets minimum, which for him would have still been a pretty penny....

And give the Magic one more year of what we saw last year.

One more year in good faith.

One more year to say "Thanks Magic!"

Thats probably what this guys are bent out of shape about. And personally I like their opinion. I dont agree with it. But I like that they are passionate. Thats what makes this message board great.

You on the other hand, telling people you are ashamed to be associated with them because you do not agree with their view points is what POISONS this message board. To the newbies you just insulted, they may not post again for fear of backlash, and to the Vets, you will just get your moronic communist view shoved right back down your throat. (hows it taste?)

Let people have their opinions. Its not your place to do otherwise.

TheGodfather

Bravo, Godfather. Well said. I'm speechless.

Honestly i dont see why everybody is so ready to boo Grant Hill for what he did here. I mean were better off without him so I used to be mad, but now that we look a hell of alot better without him im not as mad anymore. Actually i didnt want him back. All he wouldve done was take playing time away from some of our other younger players to develop. Bogans right now is doing a better job then Hill was doing last season and i truly feel that Bogans couldve done the same thing last season but he didnt get the opportunity. Also i was always against Hill being a 2 guard. Defensively he did ok but offensively he didnt take alot of shots to be the goto guy and that was a part of the reason for us being unsuccessful in the season. Were paying Hill to be the goto guy and he didnt live up to his role. Anyways were 5-1 so far and were winning with a TRUE 2 GUARD so for Grant Hill, yea we feel bitter but we just have to move on besides he wouldnt fit in this new offense anyways, WERE 3 SHOOTERS NOW and hes not a 3point shooter so he doesnt fit. Even though i dont agree with this new offensive style and i think its gonna come back at us but since their winning then i guess im going to keep my thinking to myself. But Hill being booed, well thats on you but im just gonna watch us win and get my revenge that way. Just tell yourself if Hill came back, would he even fit our system anyways.

I agree that it was time for GHill to go, but I wish he hadn't taken all that money then bolted, leaving the magic empty handed. A trade could have been worked out.

If my choices are to boo or cheer, I'll boo. What I'd like to see from the fans is complete indifference. I'd love the have GHill trotting out on the floor to the sound of crickets chirping.

quote:
Originally posted by cac67:

I agree that it was time for GHill to go, but I wish he hadn't taken all that money then bolted, leaving the magic empty handed. A trade could have been worked out.

If my choices are to boo or cheer, I'll boo. What I'd like to see from the fans is complete indifference. I'd love the have GHill trotting out on the floor to the sound of crickets chirping.

Silence? Crickets chirping with a couple of croaking frogs in the background for add flavor? Yes, nothing is more deafenning then silence! For all that you have done and left us with...here's to Ya!!!!

All he had to do was give us the heads up and allow for a sign and trade. PHX gave away Kurt Thomas to Seattle for absolutely nothing, think he may have been able to play PF for us? A guy with a reputation for rebounding and playing solid D. Thanks Grant, thanks for nothing. What happened prior to that I would never blame him for (other than the injury exception fiasco) but this was unforgivable.

I wish him nothing but good health and tons of dissapointing losses.

This is hilarious! Such bitter people on this thread, I dont care if he sucked up 93 mil THE GUY GAVE EVERYTHING what else can you ask for? He was NOT a bum on the court he is one of the best players in history with just a few years under his belt!! What could have been we will never know but what we do know is that he gave 100% and that is all you can ask of a player. If any of you were in his situation you would have done the same exact thing. I even read somewhere he didnt know his own body well enough...? wow they have trainers to tell him if they think he is healthy now we are just looking for more things to cry about. What happened happened it was not his nor the teams fault, I would have loved to see him stay healthy his whole career because I would have been able to see one of the best players in history making history in my favorite teams uni, what could have been. Stop living in the past grow up and show some respect to someone who made every effort to improve his team. Go Grant! Go Magic!

quote:
Originally posted by DBLdrbl:

What could have been we will never know but what we do know is that he gave 100% and that is all you can ask of a player.

100%...haha...good one...

do you see how he's playing in Phoenix???

hes playing like he actually CARES...and playing like hes not worried about his ankle...

BOO THE GUY!!! BOO HIM OUT OF THE BUILDING!!!

and if i was there, id start a chant:

THANKS-FOR-NO-THING! (uh-uh-uh-uh-uh) THANKS-FOR-NO-THING! (uh-uh-uh-uh-uh)

the closer and closer we get to this game the more pumped i am about it, and the more heated i get about G-Hill...

You could BLAME Grant for so many things. Forget his health for the moment. Go back and research what John Weisbrod said about trading for Tony Battie and Doug Christie. Weisbrod explicitly pointed out that he leaned on Grant Hill when making those decisions saying Grant was very informative about the type of player the Magic should bring in and he was very specific when talking about Battie and Christie.

Back up even further when the Magic PROTECTED him during the expansion draft because he was getting healthy and they wanted to give him assurances he was still in their long term plans. That move cost us Zaza.

Now back track to the trade deadline of this year. One of the reasons assumed in the paper for Otis not pulling off a deal is because of the talent he was going to have to give up WITH Grant Hill and they did not want to runthe risk of losing Hill and the talent.

By My calculations had Otis not been confident that Grant was going to remain for the minimum, Otis would have worked much harder to trade Grant.

Case in Point, look at what the Trailblazers did just to get rid of Randolph? They took Francis and bought him out and ll they got was Frye. Which Basically means they paid over $40 million for Frye since that is what they had to pay Francis to buy him out.

Look at what Seatle got for Ray Allen??? They took back a huge contract in Wally S. and got a #5 Pick. I submit a package of JJ, Trevor and Hill would have been a better deal.

We also had to lose Darko, Travis and our Mid-Level exception because of how we needed to manuver just to get under the cap for Lewis. Had we traded Hill, we would still have both Travis and Darko, PLUS we would have been able to chase any free agent with our Mid-Level exception...can you say Gerald Wallace?

We could have had JRich straight up because the Bobcats gave up nothing for him.

Could have had A.I. too if we wanted to chase him.

But all we got was an overpaid Lewis and lost everything else.

Boo Grant and Boo him loud. I am very surprised no journalist has the balls to right a story that includes all Grant cost the Magic. Hill is classless, very very classless.

People have the right to boo or cheer him. Personally, I am was over Grant Hill a long time ago and ready for him to move on.

Having him back at vets min. would have been classy, but I was tired of seeing players, coaches and management cater to his every need.

He was never the All-star he was in Detroit just made ones salary.

Do you remember Charlotte's expansion selection and the Magic listing Zaza Pachulia rather than a crippled Grant Hill? Do you remember this team being strapped with his contract for years. Do you remember not doing a trade earlier this year with Grant Hill's expiring contract? This franchise was extremely loyal to Grant Hill. I expected more.

I think one of the elements that is being overlooked is how classy the organization was in handling (more like coddling) Grant.

As The Solution mentioned, this organiztion was overly loyal to Grant Hill. What did all that cost them in the end? Immeasurable grief!

I wanted him to stay. I think what rubs some of us the wrong way is the perception that he somehow deserves sainthood when he's proven to be at least as selfish if not more so than the average NBA player.

Where was Tony Battie's Father when the Magic were applying for the exception? I remember where Calvin Hill was. He was campaigning for his son against the Magic. And, after the love and respect that both the Magic organization and the fans showed him over the years, he bolted for a few dollars more and a cheap ring. Where's the class?

I don't dislike Grant, and I wish he had stayed to help the team. I'm just irked by the misplaced adulation. Idolize Marbury. He deserves it more.