Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Who's a better defender, Redick or Garrity?

First here is Stan's comments on Garrity:

quote:

Said Van Gundy, "Pat has a chance. He's very competitive. He plays hard. He's smart, and he can shoot the ball. There's certainly a place for him here."

Now on Redick:

quote:

``I've told him to relax and that he's going to play. He can be a good player, but I want him to keep working on his defense. I've hit him very hard about that on this trip. That has maybe gotten him down a little bit because I don't see the same enthusiasm or confidence that I saw last week.''

I think it's funny that these two guys seem very similar in their skillset, yet, almost every poster to a man posts that they want more playing time for Redick and that Garrity is a bum and needs to retire.

Don't forget, Garrity was a bigtime scorer in his college days at Notre Dame. Not as great as Redick, but a bigtime scorer none the less.

Anyway, back on subject. Who do you think is a better defender? Put your opinion on record. I'm curious as to the thoughts of the board members.

First here is Stan's comments on Garrity:

quote:

Said Van Gundy, "Pat has a chance. He's very competitive. He plays hard. He's smart, and he can shoot the ball. There's certainly a place for him here."

Now on Redick:

quote:

``I've told him to relax and that he's going to play. He can be a good player, but I want him to keep working on his defense. I've hit him very hard about that on this trip. That has maybe gotten him down a little bit because I don't see the same enthusiasm or confidence that I saw last week.''

I think it's funny that these two guys seem very similar in their skillset, yet, almost every poster to a man posts that they want more playing time for Redick and that Garrity is a bum and needs to retire.

Don't forget, Garrity was a bigtime scorer in his college days at Notre Dame. Not as great as Redick, but a bigtime scorer none the less.

Anyway, back on subject. Who do you think is a better defender? Put your opinion on record. I'm curious as to the thoughts of the board members.

As a longtime backer of Pat Garrity (I'll be the one at the S.A. game with a Pat Garrity jersey), I know he can do it. He has the experience that JJ lacks and can use his size when needed. Pat will have a role this year, especially with the injury to Battie and Rashard's injury concerns. Watch out... If that man gets hot... He doesn't miss. Hes going to hit a game winner this year and all you Pat haters from the last few years will eat your words. Take it to the bank.

What a sad (but relevant) question heading into a new season with these two guys as regular rotation players. I hope Trevor can stay healthy and help man the 3 and 4 so Pat never sees pt.

well JJ is a great of the ball defender...honestly maybe one of the better on the team...He is always with his man, bothering, following, running around, etc...this is very good...But once the guy gets the ball, is like he is always a step behind...

Pat is jut Pat...

I think JJ is still better...

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

What a sad (but relevant) question heading into a new season with these two guys as regular rotation players. I hope Trevor can stay healthy and help man the 3 and 4 so Pat never sees pt.

Bro, if Garrity keeps shooting the three at a 56% rate you can forget his defensive prowess if he comes off the bench against a second unit. Reddick an dhim will be playing quite a lot together snce they play different positions.

Redick will face more skilled offensive players at his position, so his deficiencies on the defensive end are intesified moreso that Garrity. Although Garrity is good at drawing charges, he won't face the same skillset as Redick. Like someone else said, it's hard to compare since they are different positions, but Garrity is better defender at his position (Lord I never thought I'd say that) than Redick at the 2...

Redick is also in his second year...and please, if we talk about redick, we have to talk about Hedo... he is no better, just taller

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

Thre is no possible comparisson since JJ is a guard and Pat is a PF and at different levels of their carrer.

well, there is a possible comparisson....it might not be fair, but you can compare them two....