Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

Plane Fact: Coach Fumes At Howard, All OK

Posted on Mar 19, 2007 9:07:55 AM

Magic Coach Brian Hill was in no mood for another foul-up.

Not after Saturday night's devastating loss to the Sacramento Kings in Orlando.

But when all-star center Dwight Howard was late for the team plane, bound for Miami and Sunday's game against the Heat, Hill had had enough.

He was so upset he basically advised the pilot to put the wheels up and leave Howard behind.

Of course, most of Hill's anger was in frustration and to send a message to Howard.

No way he was going to leave Howard in Orlando and have the Magic face Shaq without him.

According to witnesses, Hill told the pilot, "Let's go!" as Howard pulled up close to the tarmac and was scrambling to make the flight.

Apparently, at least one player quickly got off the plane and said he had left something in his car, a tactic to stall for Howard.

Hill was fuming all the way to South Florida, sitting in his own smoking section, if you get my drift.

But all was forgiven when the Magic stunned the Heat, breaking the Heat's nine-game winning streak.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/03/plane_fact_coac.html

Posted on Mar 19, 2007 9:07:55 AM

Magic Coach Brian Hill was in no mood for another foul-up.

Not after Saturday night's devastating loss to the Sacramento Kings in Orlando.

But when all-star center Dwight Howard was late for the team plane, bound for Miami and Sunday's game against the Heat, Hill had had enough.

He was so upset he basically advised the pilot to put the wheels up and leave Howard behind.

Of course, most of Hill's anger was in frustration and to send a message to Howard.

No way he was going to leave Howard in Orlando and have the Magic face Shaq without him.

According to witnesses, Hill told the pilot, "Let's go!" as Howard pulled up close to the tarmac and was scrambling to make the flight.

Apparently, at least one player quickly got off the plane and said he had left something in his car, a tactic to stall for Howard.

Hill was fuming all the way to South Florida, sitting in his own smoking section, if you get my drift.

But all was forgiven when the Magic stunned the Heat, breaking the Heat's nine-game winning streak.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/03/plane_fact_coac.html

Are you bleeping kidding me?

I'm sorry, but this is all I can think reading this. I mean, this is a joke, right?

This is SO much more immature than a thousand broken clipboards.

I totally agree with Hill on this one. The team is in a playoff race for the last spot and our STAR player wants to be late for the airplane?!?!?! I would've been just as angry. What kind of example is that? Around this time of year, with the position we are in, we need EVERYONE to be focused; not almost missing team planes. I understand Dwight is our franchise player but he gotta do better than that. If this was earlier in the season, he would've been benched for the first half.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

I'm sorry, but this is all I can think reading this. I mean, this is a joke, right?

Really? I don't think so. I'd like to see him take that attitude on the court and cut minutes for players who don't show up to play. Absolutely love Dwight but if you are a professional get to the airport on time. Perhaps he had a good excuse. Only part wrong is you don't need to stew for the whole flight.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Really? I don't think so. I'd like to see him take that attitude on the court and cut minutes for players who don't show up to play. Absolutely love Dwight but if you are a professional get to the airport on time. Perhaps he had a good excuse. Only part wrong is you don't need to stew for the whole flight.

There's a difference between trying to get to the game and slacking off while you're in practice or on the court.

Besides, maybe he actually had a good reason. My biggest problem with it is it's a distraction that the team doesn't need when they should be thinking about the Heat.

quote:
I don't think so. I'd like to see him take that attitude on the court and cut minutes for players who don't show up to play.

Wholly agree with this one.

quote:
Besides, maybe he actually had a good reason. My biggest problem with it is it's a distraction that the team doesn't need when they should be thinking about the Heat.

Its possible he had a good reason but not that likely since with a bunch of millionaires I am sure there was a way to send a message to the coach before boarding. Anyway it doesn't send a good message to players fighting for minutes and a playoff spot to have to wait for the franchise player.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

I totally agree with Hill on this one. The team is in a playoff race for the last spot and our STAR player wants to be late for the airplane?!?!?! I would've been just as angry. What kind of example is that? Around this time of year, with the position we are in, we need EVERYONE to be focused; not almost missing team planes. I understand Dwight is our franchise player but he gotta do better than that. If this was earlier in the season, he would've been benched for the first half.

Let's see if you say the same thing when Dwight, will get fed up with Napoleon, and will like to hold a$$ for good ala Shaq and Tmac. See how many rebounds then Napoleon will get for us....

As far as we know Howard isn't a troublemaker....