LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Some love for Fornier from a Nuggets fan on Real GM "

I will say this again, I would not trade Fournier for anything less than a top 10 pick, even trying to play in a system that forced Fournier to try to be D & 3 player Fournier showed plenty of flashes of being a long term capable scorer, when Karl was coach and allowed Fournier to play his slashing style fournier was one of the best rookies I have seen in years. He literally looked like a young Ginobli, and is still only 21."

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1330098&start=100

You're talking about two different players, he's referring to Gordon's 42%. Payton shot 60%.

doops.

damn he shoots that bad! good god. Gonna take some work to even get to 60%.

Find me a single player who shot in the 40s from the free throw line in college that became a decent NBA shooter.

David Lee was a 58% FT shooter in college, now 78%

Robin Lopez shot 61.2% average in college and shot 81.8% this past season

Hakeem Olajuwon went from a 55% shooter in college to a career high of 79% in 1996-1997

Javale McGee shot in the 40% range, career average is now around 60%

That's the best I could find

• Upvote 1

Honestly, you just have to hope Gordon's FT percentage will be near what Dwight's was, which is kind of sad. Gordon's calling card will be his defense and athleticism, but the lack of shooting really scares me.

David Lee was a 58% FT shooter in college, now 78%

Robin Lopez shot 61.2% average in college and shot 81.8% this past season

Hakeem Olajuwon went from a 55% shooter in college to a career high of 79% in 1996-1997

Javale McGee shot in the 40% range, career average is now around 60%

That's the best I could find

Well, thank you for doing that for me.

Sorry, Bauncey, I didn't know it was that bad.

It's still worth noting that plenty of bad free throw shooters have a respectable jumper. But 40% is a little scary.

I said it prior to the draft but this draft is funny. I don't think anyone would have had a problem with us selecting Gordon with the 5th pick. In fact, I'm betting most of us would have been happy with it. But we pass up a point guard that everyone thought could be the next Penny and there is a near riot on this forum. The bottom line is that we know Hennigan scouted the crap out of both Exum and Smart. After all that scouting he decided he would rather take Gordon. I think that says a lot about Gordon and Payton to be honest.

The thing is I don't see how Gordon could be a bust. His absolute floor is a dominant defender with little offensive game. It wasn't that long ago that the Pistons won a championship with Ben Wallace. That is Gordon's floor. The dude can start in the NBA tomorrow because of his defense. And offense can be taught. Maybe he never becomes a good outside shooter but that doesn't mean he can't turn himself into an offensive threat. Tyson Chandler has made a career out catching passes for dunks. He was limited offensively but still found a way to become a threat on the floor. I don't think anyone can look at Gordon's athleticism and not envision him at least having that ability offensively.

Now lets go out on a crazy limb and assume the 19 year old kid actually improves......

Everyone is just venting their own opinions. Some of us, just didn't want to prolong this rebuild and it will be. You know this. We'll be talking about Durant and 2016 from here on out.

lol Durant won't be coming to Orlando.

Plus when did the plan change? It has not changed, if anything it has stayed very much the same. Henny's plan was never to get back in the playoffs as quick as possible, but to build a championship contender. Yes we could have probably easily positioned ourselves to challenge for stop 6-8 next year in the East, but where would that leave us in the future..... I doubt up the top. I don't need to watch winning right now, I get more enjoyment at seeing players develop. I would much prefer to go for a team orientated based, more than idividual, I also find it much easier supporting a team of good people compared to a team of jackasses.

You know, I've heard this line of thinking before in regards to rebuilds.

It usually results in failed rebuilds that set the franchises back for years, because instead of drafting game changers, the powers that be are worried about "character" and "culture", and drafting a bunch of players that are great guys, but don't win games.

I'm excited about these guys. I think I was so convinced we'd be getting Exum that he was already a part of the team for me and so I'm a little sad that he ended up elsewhere. But I've moved on and can' wait to see the new guys in action. I don't think we'll regret taking Gordon when all is said and done and Payton seems like he'll be legit. Seems to have some attitude and swagger which is good. Just hope it's not as excessive as Russell Westbrook's because then it gets straight annoying.

I still think Exum was probably the top PG on our board, but rather than look at who's the BPA at each pick, we considered the picks together and said what's the best guard/forward combo we can get? At 12 there were going to be better PGs than bigs and so we took the best big we could get at 4 and then, while we may not have gotten Exum or Smart, we got a PG that probably isn't that far behind, if at all. Then again, maybe Gordon was just on the top of our board, even though it didn't seem he was on the top of anyone else's.

The most important question, though, when do you guys think they might start making Elfrid Payton wigs? I'd really like to get one.

This makes sense, but the problem I have with it is that instead of getting the best available at one position, and possibly sacrificing the best possible at another position, but at least having a bonified strength to build around, we kinda went "jack of all trades, master of none" with this draft, and picked up a less than max potential player at #4, and then didn't get the best possible PG in the draft either.

With Exum and whatever we woulda gotten at 12, we at least would have had a major strength in Exum.

Now instead, neither of our picks really result in game changing pieces we can build a franchise around. I feel like instead of hitting a home run, we got a couple nice base hits, sure, but we won't be able to get those runs in without a heavy hitter behind them.

So I'm left with that feeling of "2 lottery picks, and a load of cap space, this should be a franchise defining off-season" to "eh, I guess this team is gonna be mediocre for a LONG time" with a less than inspiring draft, and no plans to really utilize free agency.

I don't know how anyone looks at Gordon's athleticism and can't admit that there is the possibility of him being a star player. Maybe he never realizes it but the potential is there. The dude could have been the first overall pick in last years draft. Is it really because he's not a good shooter at this point in his career? If so, why are we ignoring the fact that Exum can't shoot a lick either?

I don't know how anyone looks at Gordon's athleticism and can't admit that there is the possibility of him being a star player. Maybe he never realizes it but the potential is there. The dude could have been the first overall pick in last years draft. Is it really because he's not a good shooter at this point in his career? If so, why are we ignoring the fact that Exum can't shoot a lick either?

My issue is I just don't think he brings enough to the table offensively to be a star in this league. He'll probably be a good useful player, but we have enough of those already. His athleticism is certainly exceptional and intriguing but we can't just lob it to him all day.

I know you guys are die hard Magic fans and I love the Magic too but this is the worst rebuild I have ever seen the Magic do......

Smh, I know everybody has a right to their opinion but you're unbelievable bro. You can't criticize the rebuild until the team actually gets a chance to play together for a few years. Wait until 2016-17 comes until you make an opinion on how this rebuild has gone.

My issue is I just don't think he brings enough to the table offensively to be a star in this league. He'll probably be a good useful player, but we have enough of those already. His athleticism is certainly exceptional and intriguing but we can't just lob it to him all day.

yeah but you figure with his athleticism he will get some buckets off offensive rebounds, off pick and roll and in transition. he also looks like he can pass the ball well too. obviously the key to his development will be a jump shot, that is what would take him from a good player to a great one