LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Good morning weirdos… Let's get started as keyboard GMs.

10 BOLD PREDICTIONS FOR THE NBA DRAFT (BLEACHER REPORT):

VONLEH AT 4 AND PAYTON AT 12

In this case, we're going to go out on a limb and slot in Noah Vonleh at No. 4 overall to the Magic, which would give Jacques Vaughn a frontcourt replete with versatile weapons. Although Tobias Harris is capable of slotting in at the 4, Vonleh would give the Magic a more conventional power forward and allow the 21-year-old Harris to slide around between both forward positions.
And while he may not be an eye-popping talent like Dante Exum or Marcus Smart, Louisiana-Lafayette's Elfrid Payton is the real deal. According to Sports-Reference.com, Payton was the only player in the country last season to average at least 19 points, six rebounds and five assists, an impressive feat for a point guard standing 6'3'' and weighing 180 pounds. On defense, Payton displayed an excellent work ethic as well, exemplified by his individual defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) of 99.2 over the course of three seasons, per Sports-Reference.

http://bleacherrepor...-2014-nba-draft

Vonleh highlights

Check that vid out. Lots of standout things. Some beautiful post finishes off the glass with the left hand. Powerful paint moves. The thing that grabbed me is his handle at 0:55.

It is making more sense why the Magic are leaning towards Vonleh. Class guy. Character. Gym rat. Immense talent.

If the Vonleh/Hood trade for PG with Afflalo plan happens as I have heard - I think we are going to be really, really good.

I see a lot of potential with Von. My biggest issue is his hops, as he seems to play rather flat.

If Vonleh is the pick at 4 I want us to either trade up for Smart or possibly Payton.

I am not sure Payton will be available at 12 anymore....apparently his workouts have been extremely impressive.

It would fill our two biggest needs in one draft.

Vonleh highlights

Check that vid out. Lots of standout things. Some beautiful post finishes off the glass with the left hand. Powerful paint moves. The thing that grabbed me is his handle at 0:55.

It is making more sense why the Magic are leaning towards Vonleh. Class guy. Character. Gym rat. Immense talent.

If the Vonleh/Hood trade for PG with Afflalo plan happens as I have heard - I think we are going to be really, really good.

I didn't see this last night, but good stuff. For the first time in a month, I see the potential.

ORLANDO SENTINEL (JR) ON VONLEH:

The Orlando Magic will seriously consider using the fourth overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft to select Vonleh, a 6-foot-9½ power forward who rebounds well and can stretch the floor with his outside shot. Even though Vonleh is one of the youngest players in this draft class — he won't turn 19 until late August — the coaches who know him best describe him as a relentless worker.

"His passion and dream has been to be an NBA player, and he's one of those people that doesn't just think about it, hope for it, talk about it," Indiana coach Tom Crean says. "I really can't remember one day, literally one day, that he did not come back to the gym, whether it was after practice or whether it was on an off-day."

The more people describe Vonleh, the more his personality and background remind you of Victor Oladipo, the player Orlando selected second overall last June. The similarities extend beyond their work ethic and their time at Indiana. Although both players grew up in the U.S., their parents emigrated from Africa, and both of their mothers work as nurses. Oladipo even co-hosted Vonleh when Vonleh took a recruiting trip to Indiana.

http://www.orlandose...0,2811887.story

It's true, I haven't watched the guy play a full game. I just never tuned in to Indiana this year. I have watched a lot of videos and analyses of him, made by people who get paid to analyze basketball players. My problem with him is that I don't like players with obviously low Ball IQ. Even his advocates admit he doesn't have a good grasp of what to do with his skills. That's not something I like to assume he will develop to All-Star level.

He's 19. His BBall IQ is as good as Dwight's was, who was described by Greg Popovich and SVG as having a very high BBall IQ.

He is a raw talent. We have said that for a while. But every elite player in this draft is besides Parker.

Vonleh is 18 and his BB IQ is fine. Where is that coming from? I'll admit, I'm a bit nervous with the dude, too. However, the more I research, the more I see why the Magic probably love him. The stats (and eyeball test) show Vonleh is like a blend of Bosh and Favors. That's pretty killer if you ask me.

Wiggins has more tools in the shed than Vonleh to me right now. Vonleh's got the size and can shoot, I don't see the defensive awareness or footwork or quickness that will make him the best of the 3 pf's in this draft. He seems slow despite his combine measurements' similarities to the other two. I see Rashard Lewis more than Chris Bosh. A set shooter on the perimeter that can back down a smaller player but can't guard them.

PELTON'S WARP RANKINGS:

PLAYER and WARP

1. Smart - 3.6
  2. Capela - 3.4
  3. Nurkic - 3.3
  4. Exum - 3.3
  5. Adams - 3.0
  6. Embiid - 2.9
  7. Parker 2.5
  8. Vonleh - 2.4
  9. Hairston - 2.0
  10. bhnole - 2.0

http://insider.espn....ection-rankings

That list is rather … unimpressive. (Or perhaps Pelton's WARP analysis is unimpressive … hmmm)

EDIT: Referencing last year, Noel's WARP was ranked #1 at 3.6 and Porter was ranked #2 at 2.7. (Obviously both fought the injury bug and its implications).