LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Here's a pretty good read about our team. There's more I think the link about our best/worst lineups, Exum, and Vucevic.

When you think advanced stats in the NBA, one of the first names to come to mind is Wayne Winston.  In addition to working as a professor at Indiana University, Winston has developed countless Excel spreadsheets on the NBA, many for Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.  For over a decade, Winston has been the Mavs stats guru, passing along data on which lineups work and which ones need some tweaking.  Wayne has also appeared on Truehoop TV with Henry Abbott a few times, expressing his thoughts on the league as a whole.  He has been kind enough to take some time out of his busy schedule to talk about the Magic with us for a second time after speaking with us before this season started.  Below are some of his thoughts on a variety of Magic topics.

On Victor Oladipo's rookie season and his development at the point guard position:

For a rookie Oladipo came out as a near-average player, but that's actually pretty good for a first-year player because guys like LeBron and Kevin Durant came out as below-average players according to our system in their rookie seasons. You can't judge these guys by what they look like in their first year because they just don't know how to do most of the little things yet. There's no way to expect him to be a good point guard in his first year when he never even played that position in high school or college. He has a very bright future from what I've seen out of him over the course of the past four years.

On Indiana's Noah Vonleh:

He's not ready. I mean he's got the biggest hands in history, and I was surprised how good he was for us this season, but I don't see what he's going to do against people that are as big, strong, and athletic as him. He doesn't have go-to moves on offense right now and he's definitely going to struggle at first. But the good thing is that he's talented and you know that he is going to continue to improve. You see guys like Jermaine O'Neal come into the league and not play great in his first few years and then turn into a really solid player. But some of these guys leave school too soon and they never get good. It's a risky move with guys like him.

One thing that will really define his NBA career is if he'll be able to knock down the professional three-pointer.

http://orlmagicstuff.com/articles/one-on-one-with-wayne-winston-2013-14-season-recap

I saw about 75% of their games, and he was in foul trouble a few games where he only played about 10 minutes.

That makes sense. Thanks,

Joel Embiid averaged 23 mins a game.

Everything I've heard/seen about Vonleh is that he's got a relentless motor.

Joel had 11 games with 4 fouls and fouled out 5 times. I'm amazed that he averaged 23.

Their mock draft has us passing on Exum at 4 and taking Randle, then taking Warren at 12.

Kill me now.

Here's who did that mock draft...

23 year old basketball writer from Dublin, Ireland who first fell in love with the game when the plucky Sacramento Kings took on the mighty Lakers... and lost! Orlando Magic fan. Favourite players are Rajon Rondo, Jeff Teague and I'm probably the biggest Kawhi Leonard fan out there!

the gordon boners are getting out of hand, that dude is one of the worst offensive players in the draft, his only offensive skill is dunking. second, 3 more rookies into the lineup? how will they get enough minutes? and if they do you can guarantee we will be bad again

All of this has been addressed and debated already in this thread.

We need defense at the 4. The offense will come. Gordon is a big time talent.

All of this has been addressed and debated already in this thread.

We need defense at the 4. The offense will come. Gordon is a big time talent.

Gordon at 4 would me a monstrous let down IMO. If we could get him with our later pick or if we trade up and select him that would be fine, but at 4 that would be a travesty. I'd take Smart/Exum/Randle/Vonleh all a head of Gordon and wouldn't think twice about it.

Gordon at 4 would me a monstrous let down IMO. If we could get him with our later pick or if we trade up and select him that would be fine, but at 4 that would be a travesty. I'd take Smart/Exum/Randle/Vonleh all a head of Gordon and wouldn't think twice about it.

Not pick 4, the 4 as in at PF.

No one is suggesting that we take Gordon at 4.