LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Kevin (Boston)

Any potential for this draft to be as good if not better than 2003's draft? I mean there probably isn't a Bron, BUT parker could be melo, vonleh could be bosh, and exum could be a longer and better wade. Plus, 2003's class was devoid of a franchise changing center, and this class has embiid. Not to mention Wiggins could do some serious damage.

Kevin Pelton (4:36 PM)

I'm tempted to deem this a violation of the "any chance" rule. There's always a chance, but the performance of players in this draft class on the court isn't anywhere near the hype they generated beforehand. At this point, I don't think there's reason to consider this a good draft class, let alone a potentially historic one.

To much talent in this class for it to not be at least a "good draft class". If Pelton can't see that, than he's not a "good" evaluator of talent. Two of the top three are locks to be consistent all stars, and possible superstars. There's assorted solid potential outside of that.

There's a weird thing happening where guys are reading to much into an 18-year old's one year of college. That's a deceptively hard transition that players like Garnett, Kobe, Dwight etc never had to deal with. I'm sure you could have picked their numbers apart from one year at Kansas/Kentucky/Whatever too.

Embiid's like Dwight with a jumpshot and he's 7'2". And we're arguing about whether he'll go first.

How is this not a good draft again?

I really like the talent in this draft from the 8-16 range. I think there are plenty of guys that are going to be good-to-really good NBA players.

James Young, McDermott, Stauskas, Gary Harris, Hood, Payne, LaVine, Ennis, Saric, T.J. Warren. I think all of these guys have the potential to have really solid NBA careers. Not saying they'll all be perennial all-stars but guys that I think will be good enough that we will look back on this draft and say "2014 was a deep draft with a lot of good middle-round talent".

I know it is a super young core, but if the Magic can get Exum/Gordon (via trading AA) and then a SF like Hood, I think the team would have such a great foundation that attracting a top FA in 2015 would not be too difficult.

I love Exum, but lets be honest - he is a project and will take some time to develop. Heck all of them will besides Parker, who I expect to win ROY if I had to make the earliest guess ever at a meaningless award.

My point is - why keep Afllallo around for this? We are going to give Exum major minutes if we get him and as a result will lose games while he learns the process.

I believe this Magic team will be better even with 3 rookies just because last years team had no playmakers (victor was too raw - missed way too many shots and layups). Exum is a true playmaker, and I think Hood could be a nice compliment to that with his shooting. He can keep the floor spread so Dipo can further develop and be playmaker #2.

Now you have gordon who puts on some size and develops into your defensive playmaker.

I just like the balance of that lineup - especially with Harris and Harkless as well.

Thats just an insanely athletic and fast group of players.

Not sure if it will happen, but it's interesting to think about.

the gordon boners are getting out of hand, that dude is one of the worst offensive players in the draft, his only offensive skill is dunking. second, 3 more rookies into the lineup? how will they get enough minutes? and if they do you can guarantee we will be bad again

why the ***** would orlando trade the 4th pick for 2 picks in the teens? this author is an idiot

I thought the same thing boss. How is the 4th pick for picks 16 and 19 even close to equal value? Smh

• Upvote 1

why the ***** would orlando trade the 4th pick for 2 picks in the teens? this author is an idiot

correct. really bad trade

• Upvote 1

I don't think I've seen it posted but ESPN Insider Jeff Goodman has his own mock draft like his co-worker, Chad Ford…

4 Dante Exum Orlando Magic COLLEGE: Australia HT: 6-6 WT: 196 POS: PG

Analysis: Rob Hennigan is one of the few general managers to have seen the athletic Aussie guard thrive at the U19 World Championships last summer. However, he is also a fan of another point guard in Marcus Smart. At the end of the day, Exum's upside will be too much to pass up.

12 James Young Orlando Magic COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 6-8 WT: 213 POS: SF

Analysis: The Magic could use a shooter and Hennigan loves length. Young was hardly a knockdown shooter as a freshman at Kentucky last season, but he is a guy who can become a consistent shot-maker in time.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/?season=2014&version=3&sourceId=3

• Upvote 1

I have to admit that I did not watch much Indiana basketball this year, and I've noticed that even though Vonleh started every game, he only averaged 26 minutes per. Most all of the top 12 picks averaged 31-32 per, and even Payne, who has a lung capacity issue, averaged over 28 per. Is anyone aware of a stamina issue with him?

I have to admit that I did not watch much Indiana basketball this year, and I've noticed that even though Vonleh started every game, he only averaged 26 minutes per. Most all of the top 12 picks averaged 31-32 per, and even Payne, who has a lung capacity issue, averaged over 28 per. Is anyone aware of a stamina issue with him?

Joel Embiid averaged 23 mins a game.

Everything I've heard/seen about Vonleh is that he's got a relentless motor.

I saw about 75% of their games, and he was in foul trouble a few games where he only played about 10 minutes.