LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Vonleh is the best fit....And on the big board Vonleh and Exum are only seperated by one spot....Exum and Dipo might be good athletes and can defend but both need shooting improvments.....Plus as Ford writes you have the unknown with Exum.

Tough call for Henny, imo.

I'd take Vonleh....Better fit....Get a PG later....Im not sold on Exum at all....I need more proof....I'm not sure Henny can take the risk either....After sucking for 2 straight years I think Henny needs the sure thing too.

• Upvote 1

Vonleh seems like no less a project to me than Exum. The only benefit to Vonleh is the better sampling and being a tougher to fill spot than pg in todays league.

Vonleh is the best fit....And on the big board Vonleh and Exum are only seperated by one spot....Exum and Dipo might be good athletes and can defend but both need shooting improvments.....Plus as Ford writes you have the unknown with Exum.

Tough call for Henny, imo.

I'd take Vonleh....Better fit....Get a PG later....Im not sold on Exum at all....I need more proof....I'm not sure Henny can take the risk either....After sucking for 2 straight years I think Henny needs the sure thing too.

And you think vonleh is a sure thing???

Tim (Orlando)

What are the chances someone before Orlando takes Exum and if so who would be dropping down to them? As A Magic fan I'm excited about Exum but in odd twist also would be excited if any of the other top 3 drop to them.

Chad Ford 1:23 PM ET

I think there's a chance the Bucks could take Exum at 2. If they do, then I think it would be either Embiid or Parker that would fall to them there. They'd snap up both players in a heart beat. Also don't count out Marcus Smart in Orlando. They loved him last year, he's already gone into a workout there and there are some in the organization who believe he's better than Exum.

I was about to ask this myself. Vonleh is a bigger project than Exum, by far.

Vonleh is about as raw as they get.

This Smart stuff is going to give me a heart attack. Ford can't help but throw in his name everytime Orlando is mentioned.

As we all should know by now, there is no "sure thing" when it comes to the NBA draft. Back when we drafted D-12, everyone said we should draft Okafur, as Dwight had a ton of potential, but Okafur was the "sure thing". Anyone second-guessing who has been the better player now? Greg Oden was considered the top pick, and Portland's front-office would have been burned in effigy for passing on the "sure thing" to pick Durant. Anyone think that Seattle/OKC wishes that they could go back and win the top pick instead? Who is to say that five years down the road Vonleh couldn't turn out to be a better player than Exum? The best you can do is put together as much information about the potential draft picks as you can find, and evaluate accordingly. After that, sometimes it still comes down to luck.

Vonleh is about as raw as they get.

This Smart stuff is going to give me a heart attack. Ford can't help but throw in his name everytime Orlando is mentioned.

No kidding. Smart at 8 is great. Smart at 4 makes me cry.

I was about to ask this myself. Vonleh is a bigger project than Exum, by far.

Idk if I would say he's by far the bigger project, but he is no doubt a project. Exum is a project as well but he will be able to get to the rim from opening night which I like.

No kidding. Smart at 8 is great. Smart at 4 makes me cry.

Ford will be reporting that right up until we're on the clock, too -- "Keep an eye out for Marcus Smart here, he's a darkhorse pick for the Magic. Orlando has loved him since last season and they think he might be the best PG available!"

The most unnerving part is that we have no idea if this is just a Fordism or if he really is in play for us there. Ugh.

Pelton crunched Exum's U19 numbers (equivalent to about 1/4 of an NCAA season), 2nd highest projected WARP (after Marcus Smart) and had a similarity score closest to Kyrie Irving. Rates well due to good assist/turnover ratio, young age and ability to get to the line.

Boom. That gets me excited