LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Well some of us form our opinions on more than just the gospel of Kevin Pelton.

"If thou drafteth for defense and intelligence,

athleticism and unselfishness,

thy scoring shall be like the desert.

Dry and barren, thy players shall never improve,

and thy wins shall be scarce like the refreshing waters.

So sayeth the Lord of Assumptions!"

Draft Analysis 4:27

• Upvote 3

In Jacksonville with my son...He's running in the state AAU track meet this weekend...Speaking of kids, great job Nyce !!!...I've hung out with Nyce before...Dude looks like an athlete....I can already tell you his kid is either gonna be a professional athlete or a professional GM, j/k....Seriously, being a dad/father is the greatest job in the world !!...My life ain't been the same since....

Soul, I'm stunned by the 42% thing....I'm reading on this thread saying he's gonna be a superstar !!...The Magic homerism here is sickening and I didn't wanna spoil all the love going on until you called me out and forced me too....Blake Griffin, Gary Payton, lol....

Soul, you know my son won the state ft championship as an 11-year old shooting 90% in five rounds....Gordon better be able to gaurd 5 guys at the same time because when the Magic have the ball our opponents aren't even gonna have to gaurd him...Can you say hack a gordon ????....Seriously, Dwight and Shaq both were better at the line than him.

Also, when we talked on the phone after the Magic picks I kept asking you who is gonna score for this team ???....I mean, the defense is gonna have to be spectacular or we might not win a game....I'm still waiting for your response about scoring because you didn't answer me then either, lol.

I'm like Pelton....We shall see....

I would say that scouring the internet for anything negative to support your opinion while ignoring anything that does not support your position is more "sickening" than a little

homerism, which would also be your opinion. I would call it being objective and using your own mind to form opinions.

• Upvote 2

We're talking about 15+ years of experience, several of which saw Duncan as a top player in the league. The only real starless team to win a ring in recent memory was Detroit. Teams like the Celtics and Spurs have won with aging stars who have enough brains and skills to overcome their loss of athletic ability. We won't be a team to have that kind of position for a long, long, long time. Our #1 focus should remain finding a centerpiece player who will play his prime years here.

I think this team reminds me a lot more of 2011 or so Indiana Pacers. We don't have the veterans they did/do (yet, I'm still expecting a signing of some kind this summer that would compare to West for Indiana), but we have a similar makeup of defensive-minded guys who want to win games TOGETHER. If that's the kind of team we end up being, I'll be happy. I don't think we need a CENTERPIECE so much as a CENTRAL IDENTITY. I see that happening soon.

I think this team reminds me a lot more of 2011 or so Indiana Pacers. We don't have the veterans they did/do (yet, I'm still expecting a signing of some kind this summer that would compare to West for Indiana), but we have a similar makeup of defensive-minded guys who want to win games TOGETHER. If that's the kind of team we end up being, I'll be happy. I don't think we need a CENTERPIECE so much as a CENTRAL IDENTITY. I see that happening soon.

I agree and, guess what, we may already have our centerpiece(s) and just not know it yet.

Also, when we talked on the phone after the Magic picks I kept asking you who is gonna score for this team ???....I mean, the defense is gonna have to be spectacular or we might not win a game....I'm still waiting for your response about scoring because you didn't answer me then either, lol.

Oladipo and Harris both project to score pretty well next year. Dipo is a second-year kid with talent and a relentless work ethic to make himself better, and his per-36 numbers were solid year-one. Harris' trajectory has shown that he improves every year. If he develops even a 30% outside shot, he's close to a 20-a-night scorer with decent minutes. Vucevic is a solid interior scorer, comparable to Marc Gasol (not as good a passer, but a MUCH better ORBer). In my opinion, this team already has as much or more scoring than Memphis.

Junkie, that's awesome about your son. Regarding the draft, we shall see! I loved it, as did most of ESPN, NBA TV, Bleacher Report, and USA Today. Scoring? We have a bunch of kids who will grow. One could have made the same statement about the Spurs, especially vs. the Heat, but who won? Go Magic!!!

I don't think Payton starts. I bet JV goes with

Nelson/Payton

Dipo/Fournier

Harkless

Harris/Gordon/Nicholson

Vuc/O'Quinn

in the beginning. Maybe Harris starts at 3 and Gordon or O'Quinn starts at the 4 but I bet JV starts Nelson.

10 years ago we took a chance on a hyper athletic 18 year old and then traded back in to get our PG of the future...

Just a thought.

10 years ago we took a chance on a hyper athletic 18 year old and then traded back in to get our PG of the future...

Just a thought.

I wish it was 2004 again, then I would be 10 years younger and my body wouldn't hurt.

I wish it was 2004 again, then I would be 10 years younger and my body wouldn't hurt.

Ha, I turn 40 this year and can totally relate. Sucks when your knees hurt the day after golfing, lol!

No thanks. I don't want to relive the final Dwight years again. Not worth the good ones, in my opinion.