LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Ultimately I hope Rob is able to put us in position to grab two out of Parker/Exum/Smart/Randle. I believe we have the pieces to make that happen, and I believe that Rob is working on making that happen based on the AA rumor last night. I don't believe we tanked again this season, and would also be willing to give up AA, for anything less than acquiring two of the prospects I listed, Vonleh/Wiggins/Embiid included if Rob prefers those players instead. That most likely requires two picks in the top 7, I believe that's the goal and I also believe he'll pull it off.

That's a stew brewing!

bad shot selection, bad shooting mechanics, reckless, and a high turnover rate

1) - and I hate to keep bringing these elite guys up, but if the shoe fits - Russell Westbrook. Bad Shot selection, especially the irreverent jacking of 3's, is one of the easiest fixes for a coach. Smart was put in a very strange role offensively for OKST. He came off more screens off-ball as a shooter than he should have, and they rarely let him play off P-n-R's, which is a great way to develop pull-up shooting. I think Ford wanted to help him develop his shot, so he just told him to keep shooting. You don't shoot five 3's a game without it being in the game-plan. So much of the bad shot selection seems to fall on the coach, as it usually does when it comes to young players.

2) From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz358z6dCY7

http://www.draftexpress.com: "there's reason to believe he could improve his numbers with less ambitious shot selection and room for optimism that he'll continue to make strides in this area thanks to his tremendous work ethic."

From NBAdraft.net: "jumpshot is a work in progress ... Shooting is the easiest skill to improve upon in the league and [his] shooting form is not horrible, but it will require some tweaking and hard work (repetition) in the gym to become a real strength to his game ... His shot lacks great lift and is a little slow to get off. His form and release are decent, but should look to get a little more trajectory"

Also: "Needs to polish his mechanics and hit on a more consistent basis… Release slowed by bringing the ball down to his knees before rising up and releasing. Simply needs to be more consistent with his shot mechanics"

Also: "Mechanics on his shot are not fluid, so he may need to adjust it some as he sort of slings the ball from his shoulder"

One of the above is Marcus Smart, another is John Wall, another is Derrick Rose.

3) Reckless like he gets to the foul line an absurd amount by using his insane size/speed/athleticism to get to the rim, or were you reiterating your first point. Or are you referencing his attitude? Pushing the fan was understandable, if not totally acceptable (yes, the fan denies any racist remarks; no I don't believe him, considering that more than one former player, from other teams, remembers that specific fan and backs Smart up). As I said before, attitude can be a plus. Chris Paul is insufferable when struggling, as is Westbrook, as is LeBron, as was Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, etc. Kicking one chair in frustration is not an indication of recklessness.

4) Derrick Rose's Turnover Percentage coming out of school: 16.7%. Smart's: 14.5%

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3598diwCm

http://www.draftexpress.com: "Smart's 18.7 possessions per-game and 14.5% turnover rate both rank average-to-above average among what is a very productive group of uniquely skilled lead guards."

He is not a high turnover rate guy at all. Every site I've looked at calls him a very good passer. NBAdraft.net rated him higher than Wall as a passer (I disagree, but they are professionals).

I'm starting to love and hate this Smart debate. Love because I feel better and better about Smart the more I'm forced to research him; hate because it doesn't matter. The reports seem to say Orlando doesn't like him anymore, that his workouts were bad. If that's really the case, then I hope they don't draft him. But since I wasn't at the workouts or working with Orlando's scouting group, I'll have to hope it's all just misdirection.

I don't see the perimeter defense of Vonleh's, sorry...it will be even tougher against NBA SF's who will be akin the the biggest players Vonleh guarded in college-and he didn't do particularly well aside from getting a few blocks while established in the paint. As other's have said he was prone to TO's and lapses in judgement (including the tourney)-while Randle for example was a little TO prone as well he was getting double/triple teamed-they both are very young and can improve upon that though. Vonleh might be deceptively fast, that's what made Zach Randolph so nifty down low (and his skill level) but he wasn't a particularly effective defender either. I don't see him going ahead of Embiid unless Embiid is out for the season. I don't even see him separating himself from Randle at this point, though I know where I stand here on that position...just not enough from Vonleh aside from what-if's.

Embiid! I hope he dropped a 40 on his toe at the pool or something, please not a stress fracture...please not a stress fracture...he's only been playing ball 3 years!

Few things are more irritating than when someone expresses their opinion and then follows it up with the word sorry, as if that's somehow the end of the discussion and they feel bad about it. It's so damn condescending.

• Upvote 1

If I were Cleveland I'd do that Favors and the 5th for the 1st anyday. Favors is a PF and the best guys at 5 are also PFs so I'd take a risk and draft Embiid (like they were going to).

You could end up with

Irving

Waiters

???

Favors

Embiid

Maybe that's even good enough to convince LeBron to come back

Maybe Cleveland trades down with Philadelphia (3rd and 10th) and they reach for Vonleh

1- Wiggins (Philly)

2- Jabari

3- Vonleh

4- EXUM

I really want to get Wiggins or Exum. I was never opposed to drafting Randle with the 4th but his injury makes it scary. I'm not totally sold on Vonleh but I'd still rather have him than Smart

----

I'd do the 12th + Afflalo + Harkless for the 1st but would the Cavs do that?

If I were Cleveland I'd do that Favors and the 5th for the 1st anyday. Favors is a PF and the best guys at 5 are also PFs so I'd take a risk and draft Embiid (like they were going to).

You could end up with

Irving

Waiters

???

Favors

Embiid

Maybe that's even good enough to convince LeBron to come back

You left Bennett out of that line..... up....

Would Utah do it though? This Embiid thing has completely thrown a spanner in the works, as if the draft couldn't get any more exciting!

I just don't see rob using a high pick on a 7 footer that in a short amount of time/college games has injured his back and now broken his foot when? during workouts?

the embiid injury now has me totally strapped in because everything's up in the air.

we finna get ACTIVE!

Noel was/is less talented, had a worse injury and still got drafted #6.

Kevin Pelton would disagree with you….

When it comes to the 2014 NBA draft, the numbers tell a clear story: Don't believe the hype. For all the excitement this year's crop of freshmen has generated, none of them rate as well in my projections as last year's top prospect, former Kentucky center Nerlens Noel.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11102133/nba-draft-marcus-smart-tops-kevin-pelton-prospect-projection-rankings