LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Kyler is correct that pick 9 probably does not have much value since high potential/athleticism guys like Gordon will be gone by then.

I would not be a bit surprised if the Magic took Saric at 12 if he was available. Simply because he is probably a top 5 talent in this draft and should actually go right after Exum in terms of BPA.

It would make more sense to hold on to Afflalo and play him at SF (rather then trading him for pick 9), if you want a chance at the playoffs. If Saric comes over, he competes to start at PF against Harris.

The reality is our opening day roster could easily look like this :

Jameer/Victor/Afflalo/Harris/Vuc starting with Exum Harkless Oquinn and Saric ( if he comes over) as your bench.

Super unsexy until you think forward and see how Exum and Saric would end up starting at some point, Harris would be the 6th man and the Magic would have a slim playoff shot due to roster familiarity.

Saric has made no commitment to come over and play. I would not mind "stashing" a guy for a year, but I'll pass on any chance of a guy never coming over to play. And I would argue that there are still "high potential/athleticism" guys available at 9. I agree it makes sense to hold onto Affalo if we plan on pushing for an 8 seed this year though.

Edit: Actually, I would mind stashing a player for a year. Mainly because our roster only has 5-6 guys on it i give a **** about.

i would be more than ok stashing a pick overseas. if we wind up with 3 1sts somehow then I think one has to be a stash pick. no need in wasting a year or two of their rookie contract if theyre unable to contribute. let them develop, then bring them over for cheap when we're capped out

If we were to trade AA, our roster literally has plenty of room on it for 3 first round picks to come in and play. Again, I will take anyone at 9 over Price, Maxiell, Nicholson, Moore and Lamb. I get the concept of a good team like the Spurs or Thunder stashing players, not so much with teams that cannot reach 25 wins. Plenty of PT to go around in Orlando.

Saric has made no commitment to come over and play. I would not mind "stashing" a guy for a year, but I'll pass on any chance of a guy never coming over to play. And I would argue that there are still "high potential/athleticism" guys available at 9. I agree it makes sense to hold onto Affalo if we plan on pushing for an 8 seed this year though.

Edit: Actually, I would mind stashing a player for a year. Mainly because our roster only has 5-6 guys on it i give a **** about.

There is not much evidence that says that he does not come over at some point in the next few years, you sound like your upset that Fran stood you up on a date.

There is not much evidence that says that he does not come over at some point in the next few years, you sound like your upset that Fran stood you up on a date.

Hah. No, I could care less about Fran. I got over him standing me up....took years. But being how I feel that this team is semi-close to becoming a really fun and competitive team to watch I would rather see a player dressed up in our uniform next season contributing to our 35 wins.

Per Kyler: I believe Arron is more valuable to them as a veteran and efficient score than he is in trade, unless he returns rookie scale veterans — guys in their third or fourth year. Not saying they won’t deal Arron to move around, because I know that they would, but they do not feel “urgency” to move Arron.

Can anyone say Reggie Jackson? smile_creaturedance.gif

I like the fact that Magic are working out Exum after Smart. If Exum is indeed a better player, they will be able to tell right away after getting 2 workouts from Smart.

It's safe to say Exum is our pick. Chances of the top 3 teams picking Exum are very slim. Are they willing to take the fall if they fail to draft the consensus top 3 guys. I highly doubt it.

If you look at the Magic's current lineup, we need better passing and interior defense.

Dante will no doubt handle the ball better than Vic, that will keep the turnovers down.

The other player in this year's draft that I really like is Gordon, this guy can really defend 1 to 5, he is not a mini Blake Griffin. Gordon actually plays nasty defense and is very smart on D. Think of him as Ben Wallace.

If we can somehow get those two and nurture them, I think the future will be very bright for the Magic fans.

The question is how do we get Gordon?

I don't think Jazz willl pick him at 5, they are commited to Derrick Favors.

@ pick 6, I think Boston needs offense at that position, they lack scoring already and have guys that can play defense, I see them drafting a guy like Randle.

@ pick 7, there is a big chance they might draft Gordon ahead of Vonleh, because they still have KB24 on the team, and with Steven Nash as the PG, Gordon fits the high flying finisher profile, also, Gordon does not need the ball to score, which again fits their system.

@ pick 8, if LA opts for Vonleh, I don't think the Kings will pass on Gordon. They can put Gordon next to DeMarcus Cousins and be a factor on defense.

So the best bet is to trade with LA.

but what is the magic going to offer them? AA?

I don't think LA would take AA when they have KB24. If you think they will take AA, you are living in some kind of fantasy world.

A 3-way must happen, AA goes to hornets for #9.

Orl trades #9 and #12 for #7 and take back some garbage from the Lakers then we probably will have a deal.

@chadfordinsider: Source: Dante Exum begins team workouts. Bucks up 1st this weekend, followed by Sixers & Magic next week

@chadfordinsider: Exum has only scheduled MIL, PHI & ORL. Unlikely to workout below 4 I’m told RT @davidjsmith1232: Any word of a workout with the Jazz?

• Upvote 1

@chadfordinsider: Source: Dante Exum begins team workouts. Bucks up 1st this weekend, followed by Sixers & Magic next week

@chadfordinsider: Exum has only scheduled MIL, PHI & ORL. Unlikely to workout below 4 I’m told RT @davidjsmith1232: Any word of a workout with the Jazz?

Man, i hope he stinks the first 2 workouts, then kills it in Orlando.

jrjr, Im a Gordon fan and have gone over different scenarios a few pages back. I think he goes #6 to the Celtics and I just do not see us getting him.

It's too bad because I think he will be a star, and fills a need for the team.

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2014/06/2014_nba_mock_draft_sixers_pass_on_jabari_parker_for_noah_vonleh.html

Here's an interesting one. The 76ers pass on Jabari Parker in favor of Noah Vonleh. Let's say for arguments sake that the first three off the board are Embiid, Wiggins and Vonleh. Who do you take at #4, Parker or Exum?

Parker without a doubt