LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

What if Exum flops? That seems much more likely to me than Randle flopping...it certainly is a safer pick. That being said we need a home run with the fourth pick.

Randle is terrible with his lack of size, jumper and defensive instincts whatsoever. Only a Kentucky sycophant would believe Randle is a safer pick over anyone

Everyone is using the Bosh comparison for Vonleh, one that I think I like a little better that I haven't heard anywhere is Al Horford.

Everyone is using the Bosh comparison for Vonleh, one that I think I like a little better that I haven't heard anywhere is Al Horford.

One NBA comparison for Vonleh to think of is Serge Ibaka of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Ibaka is similar in his physique and style of play. The two players are similar offensively — they can shoot the jumper — and defensively — they are swat masters supreme. Vonleh should be a very good pro.

Read more at http://www.rantsport...8vgchGVuclWW.99

[/font][/size]

Nah I'm not a fan of the Ibaka comp. Vonleh has the potential to be a stronger player and much better post defender (Ibaka can't even guard Diaw in the post) and Ibaka is more explosive than Vonleh.

Thats ok, he will develop that skill. He is very young. He brings nba ready defense now, which we need. Koq is a very good defender as well, but i like him as the first big off the bench since he can play both pf and c.

There really are no complete players in this draft so you take what you need and scout to predict future development. The guys i would like if we get pick 9 too:

Exum - hope he develops his shot. If so, he could be a superstar

Gordon, get a shot, develop free throw shooting, work on post moves. Gain 20 pounds. If so, all star pf who can shut down stretch 4s, be a force inside, and also be a team leader.

Hood - buy into the defensive system, continue to shoot at a high % and spread the floor.

Those are just that players i like at the spots we may have. The roster would be incredibly young and struggle next year, but this reminds me a lot of the okc model. Add your vets in 2015 and roll back into perennial playoff contention.

I could buy into this with no problem because it would give us an entire season to get the youngsters to learn to play together and improve their skills. It would make losing easier for the fan base too, because we would not be losing to tank for a high draft pick, we would be losing while actually improving our team, and we could fill in the missing pieces with free agency next summer, and still might luck into a high lotto pick.

Exactly, it would be a lot more enjoyable to watch and i think the team will be better than last year if victor can replace aarons production.

Also, i cant see the magic taking randle over exum. That would be terribly bad. If they did anything stunning, it would be to take smart over exum.

Randle is terrible with his lack of size, jumper and defensive instincts whatsoever. Only a Kentucky sycophant would believe Randle is a safer pick over anyone

A Pantoum for Bauncey Chillups:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. I don't know which angle to attack first, about his lack of size...his lack of jumper...or that I'm a 'sycophant' of Kentucky AT ALL which for proper use of that word would require at a minimum a single statement of favoritism towards Kentucky-which you will not find. I went to KU, not UK.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. It is common belief that outside of Parker that Randle is the surest pick in this draft, you don't have to look far into scouting reports to see that from multiple sources. To think otherwise suggests you get your information from the talent evaluators of TBN whose acumen has been largely subpar over the years. He has an unmatched motor at the top of the draft next to Smart, the most explosive athleticism out of all the bigs in the draft save Gordon, is the strongest in the top of the draft if not the whole draft, has a 7 foot wingspan and can jump 3 feet off the ground, and a decent jumper that wasn't evident at UK by way of systematic use and constantly being double/triple teamed-but its still there and evidenced as recently as today by reports in the 'media' and was apparently his bread and butter before UK-along with being an insane rebounder.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. But sure, he's an average defender...meaning that he isn't elite at something-wow. Why don't you go and tell me about all the other elite big man defenders in this draft? I'm pretty sure there's a video floating around with head to head match ups of some of the better defenders and Randle; summary-Randle came out on top. You can argue once again that Gordon is a better defender, but then again that's based on potential mostly, put the two against each other at the 4 and tell me what would happen? Randle would go Granmama all over him-that's what would happen. And for the record, while Gordon has unusually good ballhandling skills and agility for a big (I'm a fan of his btw) Randle is no slouch either, ranking towards the upper end himself and no worse than Vonleh while also being no slower than Gordon. Considering Randle's beastliness on top of measurements its clear why he is such a highly rated individual. The ONLY reason he isn't being considered at the top of the draft literally is the number of potential game-changing players this year. Notice I said potential, which is the only thing keeping Vonleh and Gordon in the discussion with Randle-who would tear both of them up today...and not in a Emeka Okafor vs. Dwight Howard way.

This isn't a campaign for Randle to be picked 4th, its a plea for the senselessness to stop about the misguided perceptions about players here. For some reason Wiggins and Randle get shat on here and it blows my mind. I shouldn't care so much because it's a message board but the way some come around to things lack reason and foresight. It is not my place to Shepard the flock so to speak but it wears on me because people like you question my credibility or are otherwise dismissive jajajaja-ing 3/4 of the year yet I end up being right and you just go on doing the same thing the next year. It's damn groundhog day TBN style. Its old, but what is there to do about it? Just stop caring I suppose, but this ignorance breeds further ignorance because the more you say stuff, the more likely people think its true. It's apparent I need to lighten up and grab a beer-go watch the Braves or something. You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

• Upvote 2

Nah I'm not a fan of the Ibaka comp. Vonleh has the potential to be a stronger player and much better post defender (Ibaka can't even guard Diaw in the post) and Ibaka is more explosive than Vonleh.

In all fairness Diaw was one of the slippery-ist 4's of the last 10 years.

I quit reading when you stated that it was common belief Randle was the surest pick in the draft outside of Parker. You will be proven wrong on draft day.

I quit reading when you stated that it was common belief Randle was the surest pick in the draft outside of Parker. You will be proven wrong on draft day.

What would draft day have to do with the statement? Further, is that really a good thing: I stopped reading bc I didn't have the same belief as you? Kinda small, don't you think?

Also, the part about it being common belief means that it's evident from multiple sources, so I wouldn't really be wrong, although if it turned out to be the case I would take ownership. It really is a wide belief though.