LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Kenneth (Marietta, GA)

Anyway the Magic try to put some package together to get into the top 2 to land Parker or Wiggins? Maybe package the 12 with Afflalo to move up to say 8 and then package 4 and 8? The front office would probably rather stay put and get Exum/Smart at 4 and then BPA at 12, but wanted to ask the hypothetical to you.

Chad Ford (1:15 PM)

I think they're OK at 4. They want a point guard and I think there's a good chance Dante Exum is there. I think the Bucks are the team most likely to snag him. But if they do that, then Jabari, Wiggins or Embiid is on the board and the Magic like all three. I also think Marcus Smart is still in the equation at No. 4. Not every team loves him, but the Magic do. At 12, I assume they add shooting -- especially if they take Exum or Smart. Again Nik Stauskas, Gary Harris, James Young are all possibilities. I also think Saric is in the mix here as well.

katie (Portland)

Who are the best shooters in the draft?

Chad Ford (1:48 PM)

There are a lot of them in this draft. I think Doug McDermott and Nik Stauskas will ultimately battle it out for that title. McDermott is money when his feet are set, Stauskas' ability to shoot off the bounce is intriguing. Rodney Hood, PJ Hairston, CJ Wilcox, James Young, Gary Harris, Joe Harris can all shoot it too. And don't forget Adreian Payne who, despite being nearly 6-10 can shoot as well as any of those guys. If shooters are what you are looking for, this is a really good draft.

Man, I want a shooter with that 2nd pick….McDermott probably won't fall that far but I'd love to get him…And of course being a UK fan James Young went beast mode when the playoffs rolled around….Talk about athleticism….I still replay that dunk James Young had against UCONN….Just "WOW" !!!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50630

• Upvote 1

andrea bargnani. next question.

now that that debate is settled...i still want exam aka Lil Penny all grown up.

lil-penny-in-new-york-02.jpg

I think you may have missed the sarcasm of my post, but you more than made up for it by adding the pic of Lil Penny

Holy crap I finally caught up on this thread lol.

1. I hate Cleveland a lot, but I think Detroit hates then more.

2. Love that Boston and LA didn't jump into the top 3.

3. I wanted a top 4 pick at worst, and that's what we got. Would've preferred higher obviously, but can't really complain. Exum all the way.

And of course being a UK fan James Young went beast mode when the playoffs rolled around….Talk about athleticism….

Average athleticism?

i

Man, I want a shooter with that 2nd pick….McDermott probably won't fall that far but I'd love to get him…And of course being a UK fan James Young went beast mode when the playoffs rolled around….Talk about athleticism….I still replay that dunk James Young had against UCONN….Just "WOW" !!!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50630

I look at this draft as follows:

The cut off for me is Top 7

Tier 1 - Big 3 (Joel, Wiggins, Parker)

Tier 2 - Exum, Randle, Smart, and Vonleh

Magic Needs - Magic need a prolific scorer and someone that is tough that can rebound and protect the paint. The Magic had trouble putting up points in some game. Also, ever since Dwight left, we have been getting killed on the boards and have no one to protect the paint.

Exum - fits what magic need for PG position and playmaker. Huge upside but downside is shooting ability. It is hard to see Vic and Exum as consistent shooters night in and night out. However, Lebron couldnt shoot worth a crap when he came in to the league.

Randle - Fits that need for a traditional power forward that can grab rebounds and protect paint. Definitely a need for the Magic.

Smart - Loved him more last year. I like his toughness a lil more than Exum but he can't shoot yet either. Him and Vic would potentially be an inconsistent pair. If we had a legit 3 or 4 or 5 already proven all-star that could take on the scoring load, then this combo may make sense but we dont have that right now.

Vonleh - very raw. I havent seen him play much but i would think he is not as tough as randle but has a better shot right now.

Some guys for 12 spot that fit Magic Needs

Stauskas - Excellent shooter. Quality shooting is a premium and with Vic still developing his shot, he would complement very well especially if we hold onto Affalo to give him time to develop

Gordon - He reminds of a mini Noah. His offense is lacking but he could bring us similar to what randle could.

Saric - Been eyeing this guys the last few years. Don't much about other what I read on the net. I have a hard time buying into Euros after the Fran debacle. If we take Exum do we go two Intl players.

Things I hope the Magic are looking at:

Charlotte got Det 9th pick. Charlotte has shown interest in Jameer and Affalo. I hope they explore packing Jameer and 12th pick to move up to 9 if a guy falls we like or we feel we need to move up to lock in someone we really like. If two guys fell down out of the top 7 I mentioned to 9, I would be pushing hard to move up.

I like a combo of Exum/Gordon, Randle/Staukas, and even Exum/Staukus if we decide to go all guards. If Smart falls to 9, which I doubt he will would be killer with taking Randle at 4.

Any way you slice, the Magic have ton of assets, draft picks, rookie contracts, and two vets (Jameer & Affalo). The damn full playbook should be open and one the table. We need to hustle to dump Jameer and pick up two good draft picks.

I don't know, man, I'm excited. I feel that whoever is available to us at 4 will be someone who can help this team.

As the hype stands now, it seems like picking at the 4 spot will be a no-brainer (of course unless if Cleveland pulls a Cleveland again).

I'm definitely more interested in seeing which prospect we can snag at 12, but I'm really not convinced that we're going for a shooter... Keep those suggestions coming fellas :)