LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

The best match for both team and player is Utah with Jabari Parker in my opinion. They already have a solid pg and a couple of bigs to play defense and block shots. He'd literally have to just step in and score.

Totally agree,

Starting five:

Burke

Gordon

Parker

Favors

Kanter

I still like Parker here because he addresses the huge need of someone who can create shots and score at a high volume. He's my 2nd choice (well, Parker and Embiid are my 2a and 2b) after Exum.

I love this time of year because it's when you realize that at least half the guys in the NBA media know precisely nothing about the NBA prospects. There's a caption in a photo of David Aldridge's article on Centers in the draft that says "Embiid's defense is already at an NBA level". There's also a video over on Draftexpress called "Joel Embiid Vs NBA Caliber Centers" which contains footage of Embiid getting deep sealed on the block by Patric Young and Cameron Ridley and giving up wide open 3's and getting beaten off the bounce by Isaiah Austin. Embiid has ridiculous defensive (and offensive) potential but to say he's currently at an NBA level at anything other than being big and athletic is wrong. (video is here btw for those interested:http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Joel-Embiid-vs-NBA-Caliber-Centers-Video-Analysis-4546)

for a player on play for 3 years. He still look good. most scouts know that embiid is raw. His big draw back, outside of the back, is rawness. The funny thing is, his offense game in 3 years is on the level of D. Howard.

I am so ready for the Draft lottery to be over so we can finally have a good idea what to expect.

I would be happy with anything in the top 4 and possibly top 5. I think Vonleh could be the ultimate sleeper with his long wingspan and ability to shoot outside unlike Randle.

I might actually rate him higher than Embid mainly because 7 footers with early back problems rarely last long in the NBA.

I have a tough time believing anyone would take Exum over Parker. I think we'd be the only team with the cojones to pull that, and I'd like it

I think the Lakers would have the balls to do it. Getting Exum would give them a talented PG to pair with Kobe. He'd also get mentored by Nash. The Lakers also have their eyes on Melo and LeBron. So grabbing a guard like Exum would give them a long term piece in what will probably be yet another great Lakers team.

for a player on play for 3 years. He still look good. most scouts know that embiid is raw. His big draw back, outside of the back, is rawness. The funny thing is, his offense game in 3 years is on the level of D. Howard.

It's easy to say this (i think I may have even said something similar at some point) because Dwight looks awful in the post but this is flat out not true. He may have better post footwork and more fluid post moves than Howard but he doesn't have the strength to post up NBA guys consistently or finish over them. Against Patric Young (a probable 2nd round pick) he couldn't even establish position for most of the game.

Of course with 4 or 5 years of work on his strength and BBIQ and just game in general I'd fully expect Embiid to be a much more talented post scorer than Dwight.

While I don't believe the Magic covet him with the number one pick, I believe Parker should go number one. This dude has an arsenal of offensive talent that is flat out amazing, from handling the ball well, to shooting, to spin moves, to post ups. He reminds me a ton of Melo, including his conditioning, which can be improved … like Melo. For those that didn't watch Duke, Coach K played Parker at center, which was ridiculous. Parker is a SF/PF with killer length. On the right team, he should average 20 and 10 right out of the gate. Will he struggle on defense? Sure. He'd do best to play next to a center who can protect the rim, which we don't have at the moment sad.gif. However, we could trade Vooch, re-sign Warlock, and make bhnole happy smile.gif. No, in all seriousness, I think Parker gets over scrutinized and has brilliant NBA potential.

Agree. I expect to see the Magic attempt to take Parker if they draft #2 and can't get Wiggins. I also know they will be talking to LA about trading up if LA has a pick. From that pick I believe they will go for Smart if he is on the board or Randle or Vonleh. It's been tweeted out already.

Smart- Dipo-Parker would be a rather fantastic backcourt.

I don't think you can compare him offensively to rookie Howard (who never never went to college) until he gets in the NBA and has to deal with the hand to hand combat the refs allow in the low post.

He might be the next coming of Hakeem but bigs have a high reward/high bust potential.

[/b]

It's easy to say this (i think I may have even said something similar at some point) because Dwight looks awful in the post but this is flat out not true. He may have better post footwork and more fluid post moves than Howard but he doesn't have the strength to post up NBA guys consistently or finish over them. Against Patric Young (a probable 2nd round pick) he couldn't even establish position for most of the game.

Of course with 4 or 5 years of work on his strength and BBIQ and just game in general I'd fully expect Embiid to be a much more talented post scorer than Dwight.

I agree with this statement. I was talking more about post moves, mid range and free throws. He does not have the strength to finish vs grown men yet, but his skill level is higher than howard's. Howard still is the better impact player, today, because of his athleticism.

@ Soulbro: really? I have seen worse on here...I don't think i've ever been edited before. :sadcrab:

I believe Parker to be overrated; that doesn't mean he isn't a good player, but he isn't nearly as dynamic as Melo was coming out of college so I don't see the comp other than they both are essentially PF's that play SF. He seems like a player that will peak relatively early, but that doesn't mean he won't be a darn good player. I do not see us picking him unless both Wiggins and Exum are off the board and we trade Harris. I

@ Soulbro: really? I have seen worse on here...I don't think i've ever been edited before. smile_sadcrab.gif

No worries! I had to do it, as you went Leeroy Jenkins on the TOS. Keep posting!